Can anyone recommend me a good stick for beginners

I used to play on gamepad but I think its time for me to invest an arcade stick. I’m not really familiar which brand or model to pick. Preferably it still can be modded cause I want to replace the square gate to a circle one.

For a first stick, I’d recommend the Qanba Carbon as it is inexpensive and has an easy to swap gate.

What consoles are you looking to play on?

PC and PS4

HRAP4 Kai. Qanba Drone is an option but I personally wouldn’t recommend it.

I can also recommend the Hrap, the hori buttons are some of the best… However the stick itself (hayabusa) has very mixed views, some love it others hate the thing

Can’t replace the gate on the drone and it is square.

You can if you swap out the stock parts for sanwa parts, which you should be doing for both the joystick and buttons on the drone anyway. That’s part of why I don’t recommend it; at that point you can just get a Hori and it’ll be good quality out of the box.

I had two friends that wanted to try stick out. They both got qanba drones. They both later bought more expensive sticks that came with sanwa and were bigger. Both said they wished they wouldn’t have bought the drone. It certainly is appealing due to the lower price. If you swap the stick and buttons later on you’ve just about spent as much as buying a better stick in the first place. The drone is also very small. I’d recommend Hori or qanba depending on what console you are trying to play on. Qanba obsidian is my personal favorite of the newer sticks I’ve tried. I can also vouch for razer panthera for doing fine on pc and ps4 for me.

I’d like to add that if you are switching to stick because you think it is better, then you might want to reconsider. Stick won’t make you better. One of the above mentioned friends did end up staying with stick because he said it was more fun than pad. I think that is a good reason to switch.