Can someone further explain buffers?

I read the definition the in stickied Glossary thread, watched the video linked, and other videos.

Maybe it’s just because I’m not entirely focused on it (watching the Atl v Bucks game, lets go Bucks!) but I don’t understand how buffer works.

Ok I’ll give this a shot. For Akuma his raging demon ultra is done by pressing :lp:, :lp:, :l:, :lk:, :hp:.

To use this ultra as an anti-air, Akuma players generally like to “buffer” these Button presses into a low move such as c.mk or c.hk. By doing this it allows Akuma to lower his hit box to prevent being hit by a jumping attack, while entering the commands for the ultra. This works quite well because the demon has several frames of invincibility, allowing Akuma to stand up right into the jumping attack without being hit by it and catching the other player with a nasty ultra right as they land.

This would not be nearly as possible without “buffering” the demon into a crouching attack. Hope that helps explain better.

Buffers can be confusing, so it’s no worries. :tup:

Basically, a buffer is when you create a solution that contains a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and it’s conjugate acid. The weak acid/base will only partially ionize, and create what we call a “buffer”.

The point of a buffer is to resist pH change when a strong acid or strong base is added.

So for example, if you took a weak acid like, per say, acetic acid and put it in water. You’ll have:

C2H402 + H20 —> C2H302(-1) + H30(+)
weak acid------------conjugate base

If you add a strong acid, the acetate ion will neutralize it. If you add a strong base, the acetic acid will neutralize it. There’s a limit to how much it can buffer of course, but that’s the basic explanation.

Thanks for the help.

I first was skimming this thread and that’s what caught my eye. I thought to myself, what the hell kind of combo notation is that!? Until I read the first part of your post haha

A Buffer is who they need to be the pre-fight announcer in the next SF game.

Buffers are used when you are attempting to do something that will as a byproduct make you do something else that you don’t want or will prevent you from doing what you want. Grapplers commonly use buffers during standing 720 motions so that they do not jump. Buffers are also used to shorten the execution time for a move by inputting the motions in advance so that the move can be preformed more easily on reaction

alright, i’ll try my hand at this

Everyone is telling you how to use the input buffer to your advantage, or is joking, but no one is telling you what an input buffer is.

The inputs that you mash on your controller goes in to the game’s input buffer. You can kinda think of an input buffer as a [media=youtube]9oAcvqsSSqs#t=0m37s"[/media]. Except not random (hopefully) and continuous. The marked balls, represent all the recognizable inputs: Up, Down, Left, Right, LP, MP, HP, LK, MK, and HK. (Let’s save negative-edge for another thread.) The ball chamber is your controller. And the ball-catcher is the game’s input buffer, except balls are allowed to fall out from the end.

Ok,
So when you do stuff on the controller, you’re sending balls from the chamber in to the catcher. Periodically the game will check what’s currently in the catcher and make your character act accordingly. How fast balls fall out of the catcher can vary from game to game. Note: periodically, the game does not check the catcher when you do something on the controller, the game checks the catcher on a schedule.

So a simple example with Ken.
Ken’s Close Standing Fierce Punch canceled in to Fierce Shoryuken.

• You walk up to the training dummy, or whatever, and you hit the HP button.
    A HP ball pops out of the chamber and in to the catcher.
  • The game then does it’s scheduled check and sees that a HP ball is in the catcher.
    So the game makes Ken do a HP and pulls the HP ball out of the catcher.
  • Before Ken’s HP makes contact, you do Right, then Down, then Right+Down.
    And Right, Down, Right+Down goes in to the catcher in that order.
  • The game comes back around to check the catcher again and sees the three balls.
    The game can’t do anything with them so it does nothing and leaves them be.
  • Now Ken’s HP finally makes contact and you press HP again.
    Another HP ball pops in to the catcher and slides next to the previous three balls and the game is about to come back around for another check.
  • The game looks in the catcher and sees the four balls: Right, Down, Right+Down, HP and sees that that’s the command for a Fierce Shoryuken.
    The game makes Ken cancel his Close Standing Fierce Punch in to a Fierce Shoryuken and removes the four balls from the catcher.

One more example, failed super motion

• You do Down, Down+Right, Right.
    Three balls pop in to the catcher.
  • The game sees the three balls, does nothing because it’s nothing.
  • The game comes back around and sees the same three balls, does nothing again.
  • You start up your next QCF, and while this was happening the three balls have rolled out of the catcher.
  • You finish your last QCF motion and hit the Punch button.
    the four balls pop in to the catcher.
  • The game checks the catcher and gives you a Hadoken.

What happened? You were too slow, the balls fell out and you lost the first half of the super motion.

hopefully that didn’t confuse you even more