Can you be a contender without RC?

As much as I hear about RC’ing moves and how usefull it is, do you think it is possible to become a top notch player without using RC? I would hope so, cause I try to keep improving my technique, but is RC something I should try to learn.

I personally think so - I mean, Ino got thrd place in SBO and he only used a K groove team; K groove can’t roll!
…Or maybe K groove is extremily good, I’m guessing RC HELPS…

RCs are merely a tool which helps you out. You don’t need to be able to USE them, but with the way CvS2 play has evolved, you have to be able to DEAL with them. Some characters are just fine without RCs (Sagat for one doesn’t need them!), but since just about everyone and their mom can RC nowadays, if you can’t deal with RCs, you’re not likely to be very successful…

Allright, but most of the people I normally play with cannot RC so I have no idea how to deal with it. How am I supposed to deal with RC’ing players?

Use the ryu trap

Do hadoken

When they jump, do shoryuken
repeat this ryu trap until you win

In the next post, I may explain the counters to this tricky trap.

RC is something you have to learn if you want to be at the top of the game.

If you just want to be somewhat competitive and just want to have fun, then it is not a necessaity. Think about this way, we have two equally skillful players A and B. A knows everything that B knows and vice versa. The only difference is A has no fear of throwing moves at B because of his RC. Who do you think is going to win?

No you dont, there are 3 other grooves where rcing isnt even possible. RC is something that helps you win but you can still be good without it, people have found out how to defend against it. IMO someone who can parry really well is just as scary if not worse than someone who can rc.

If you just want to be somewhat competitive and just want to have fun, then it is not a necessaity. Think about this way, we have two equally skillful players A and B. A knows everything that B knows and vice versa. The only difference is A has no fear of throwing moves at B because of his RC. Who do you think is going to win?

No you dont, there are 3 other grooves where rcing isnt even possible. RC is something that helps you win but you can still be good without it, people have found out how to defend against it. IMO someone who can parry really well is just as scary if not worse than someone who can rc.

Both of you make valid points. Is there anyway for you to take advantage of the fact the opponent can RC, iow is there a weakness to the RC technique.

if you dont learn how to RC electricty or beat it your fucked. i thought it wasnt a big deal until this past weekend. grrr damn you ricky!!! lol :stuck_out_tongue:

ive been playing 3s and ggxx…and im a complete newbie to cvs2…

what is RC’ing?

RC is a type of cola. RC-ing your moves means that you drink a lot of that cola beforehand, giving you heightened reaction time.

Don’t forget the fat people eating french fries and up to seven $2 cheese steaks all in a single day. My friend! I need your help. Another plate of mozzerella sticks please…

I thought it was “Rigorous Copulation”?
—>>Ben

(roll cancelling dude…)

well first off RC is roll cancel I can’t do it so might be wrong but I believe its where you press the buttons for roll (in a groove that has roll) and then immediately do a different attack. While doing that attack you have the properties of someone rolling… can’t be hit but you can get thrown. The only way to know if you did a successful RC is the sound. It is my understanding that the character will make whatever noise he makes when rolling but will do the move.

now is RC going to make or break someone from being a contender… I’m not great at the game but I think RCing is only really good against other people in C,A,N grooves - it doesn’t matter how much you RC a P or K groove user can still defend it.

I’m not great at CvS2 but thats my view on it

RCing, I thought would make the game broken, but it didn’t, it evens the playing field, no more poking cause you’ll get fucked, no more traps cause you’ll get fucked, but besides that, you’re not totally invincible, cause if someone were to RC a fireball, you could small jump and still hit them, it only lasts for like a second.

it definitly changed how the game is played, but not everyone can do it, so it didn’t change all too much, just in theory, and secondly, it’s a better game cause of it. It’s much like how the AHVB was discovered in marvel, that’s why hella people hated it but now it’s so common that people aren’t even afraid of cable, and will kick his ass without delay.

that’s the best i could come up with. on a side note, a good pgroove player is a hell of a lot more scarier than a good RC player.

You dont need to be able to roll cancel. Oh yes it helps being able to do it, but its far from essential. If you play smart you definately dont need them, although they are a handy tool as Gunter said. You’ve got to adapt to it, but you do not need it, although many good players do use it.

can you roll cancel on the console versions of CVS2?

yeah except on Xbox and GC i think

Whoever said Ino got thrid at SBO, you’re absolutely right.

He got third for a reason. He was in K. Even with godly, ridiculous K Groove skill that probably not one person in this country can duplicate, a Groove that has Roll beat him.

So that should answer your question.

BAS used a groove with RCs - A-Groove. Even with godly, ridiculous A Groove skill that probably not one person in this country can duplicate, a Groove that had no rolls but had parries beat him.

Ino only lost to Tokido’s A-Groove Sakura/Bison/Blanka (2) team. Tokido only landed/successfully used RCs 3 times with each character that entire match - 2 roll cancel HKs with Sakura the first round, one the 2nd, a few anti-air RC Psycho Crushers with Bison, and exactly 3 RC Electricities. What killed him was A-Groove and to some extent the lack of Alpha Counters in K (Blanka had to take chip damage versus Sakura). Bison saved Tokido’s team, almost killing Sagat all by himself. Ino did NOT lose because of RCs or by any advantage gained by RCs (Tokido didn’t even do sit-there Pikachu to charge meter). He lost due to a mismatch in grooves.