Can you learn more than 1 serious fighting game?

It was hard to pin a title on what I mean with this topic.

What I’m getting at is that throughout stages of my life since I was young the only fighting game I’ve ever put good time into and learned is Street Fighter (mostly II and IV).

I picked up Virtua Fighter 5 for 360 recently (it was real cheap, and I admire a lot of Yu Suzuki’s other games) and just got round to playing it earlier today, I went in the dojo with a character to learn some moves and how the commands worked and such, but whilst doing this I was thinking about how it seems like a LOT to take in, and had me having some concern over the fact I don’t want to get distracted from SSFIV or potentially forget things I’ve learnt about that game.

I thought this mainly due to how the game play is much different, and VF seems like it’s own original entity in terms of play, where as the Street Fighter series, and a number of SNK fighters all share similarities, so the learning curve doesn’t seem as steep for them.

Am I over thinking this whole thing?

or is it common for people to not want to learn alien (to them) fighting games and just focus on the games they’ve put the most time in and having the most fun with?

If you want to learn VF I would highly recommend purchasing VF4:Evolution for the Playstation 2 and running through the tutorial mode. The tutorial mode in VF4:EVO literally teaches you every single aspect of VF in depth with character specific examples as well. It’s literally the greatest tutorial mode in any fighting game and one of the best tutorial modes in any video game period.

Trying to learn VF5 Vanilla on your own, just by playing Quest Mode, and reading VFDC, would be very daunting. An enormous amount of things from VF4:EVO carries over directly into VF5. So starting with VF4:EVO and then moving to VF5 is an easy transition. Trust me, just get VF4:EVO and go through the tutorial mode, then spend time adjusting to your character in VF5’s training mode (such as learning the new VF5 combos), then start playing VF5 Quest Mode and see how well you do.

One thing is that VF is not an instant gratification game. You can’t pick it up and start winning within the first few weeks or even months. But VF4:EVO’s training mode will give you a huge head start on learning the system. Once you do learn VF and get to an intermediate level it’s more rewarding than learning any other fighting game. So if you stick with it it’s worth it.

This question comes up every so often, but i’ll give you a serious answer anyway.

Play games because you have fun and enjoy them. If you want to get serious/competitive at very high level, your best bet is to stick to one. They say the benchmark time you must put into something to “master” it is 10,000 hours. Obviously there is no set way to fully prove this, but this means if you want to be a top competitor, you must spend years playing with high level competition.

I don’t really know what else to say. If you are worried about getting worse at one game/losing touch with it, that pretty much means that game is more important to you for whatever reasons you have.

Another thing is also its hard to multigame with VF. You really have to learn all the intricacies. There is no top tier easy shit to learn quickly and abuse.

Thanks for the advice on VF4:EVO, it should be really cheap used now I presume, so I’ll track it down.

I did feel that “daunting” sense that you was speaking of though from my short time with VF5.

As for Proph.

I wasn’t looking for short cuts to advance in VF though (and if their were any that would probably speak bad for the game), one of the things that drew me to VF was the way in which many have described it as hard to master, and somewhat “button masher” proof. Call it personal torture to want that, but it seemed rewarding.

Valid point about playing games for fun though. I tell others that all the time, yet I guess I was being hypocritical to my own advice.

I’m probably over analysing this “playing game X will make me bad at game Y” issue I’ve brought up, and unless I happen to truly start believing I could go high level competitive at something, and feel as though I’m noticing a drop in my skills from distractions, then I don’t even need to be bringing this question up.

:stuck_out_tongue: …I blame the fact I’ve been up very late, weakens the mind, etc.

For christs sake if you can speak more than one language then you can play more than one fighting game.

They’re very similar in this sense, just play the games and you’ll get better, the more you play- the more you level up.

Tokido is the answer to this thread.
He goes to Evo and gets top 8 in almost everything…
CVS2,3S,ST,HDR,VF5,T6,GG… (He also placed high at SBO in SS Tenka and CFJ)
It’s the combination of his extremely solid fundamentals and the easy+effective top tiers he picks in most of the games.

Tokido playing Tekken 6: What the fuck is this shitty game? picks Bob and headbutts through blockstrings

It depends. If you main Street Fighter, and you’re really good at such and such characters. It’s very likely that all you know with those characters can be applied to the Alpha series, SF4, maybe 3S, and even CVS2 and maybe MVC2. That’s why you see so many pros stick to the same characters throughout the tournaments. Daigo has almost always played the Shotos (except in CVS2 where he would sometimes pick Guile, Blanka, and I think either Dictator or Sagat). So it depends on the game and the character(s). If someone is godly with Yoshimitsu from Tekken, it’s likely that they can do well with him in Soul Calibur too.

You can’t really u/f+1+2 through strings. The startup is 16 frames and the crushing frames (1st high, then low) are weird and start really late.

I think you confused it with Lars’ u/f+3 :X

This post is a joke.

If you wanna learn vf5 you can also buy the strategy guide. its a really good strat guide for a fighting game. its almost as good as the tekken 5 guide.

You can definitely learn more than 1 serious game and compete in them, look at JWong, Daigo, Marn, and just about every other high caliber player who has been around for awhile.

2D to 3D can be hard to learn and master both because of the different playstyle, but certainly possible (look at Tokido in EVO this year, Tekken and just about every big 2D game, made top 8 in Tekken and I believe HDR.

Def can’t play more then one game. Just go back to SF4, eat a cookie, call it a day.

Your face is a joke.

People that play a lot of games can do it because they play each game during it’s prime then move on to the next one.

Then they can always go back to the old one like riding a bike.

If you’re new to SF4 and you’re trying to learn a bunch of other games all at the same time you’re filling a full cup. Best to take 1 at a time until you master it (become very proficient at).

I’m playing a lot of different (fighting)games these days and I must say some of them taught me something.
Tekken 6 was a good distraction from SFIV for example. It taught me to not rely on special moves that much.
You’ll have to learn how to avoid getting combo’d in a corner in Melty Blood for example and how to do it yourself without too many wild specials.
Samurai Shodown had some interesting tactical aspects, hard to get big damage without that big slash but it’s slow. Etcetera, the point is I think it’s good to get some experience from all sorts of games because some focus on certain aspects more than others. This forces you to get better at these aspects which in turn is good to know for whichever game you prefer in the end.

Ha ha, IDK. I don’t play Tekken but that’s what I saw on the stream!

lol someone with the name VirtuaFighter4 telling someone to go buy VirtuaFighter4:Evo lol…

didn’t someone on here oust you as being fucking terrible at Virtua Fighter? Or maybe that was the VF forums where i saw the big post…

I’m assuming Sega won’t blueball console owners with Final Showdown, and will feature a tutorial mode as good as VF4E.

sup, <Formerly known as DarthTrey>