Capture card: Dont know where to start

I cant record 3rd strike on my pc, runs like shit when I run a recording programme. I also want to record some of the other games I own. So the questions are

1.How does a capture card work
2.What do I need to use one
3.What should I take into account when buying one and what are the best ones?

I tried Google for help but I am clueless on how to use them or how they work. Any help appreciated! :wgrin:

I recommend using a DVD recorder (no PC needed). Here are some. Keep in mind that these kind of recorders lag the output image/sound, so you’ll need a splitter for the wires

If you haven’t already you should check out Magnetro’s thread regarding capturing video here. http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=109259

I’ll try my best to answer your questions here.

I really don’t know how to answer this, but pretty much just connect an analog source (composite or s-video) into the capture card then use a program to record it.

There are many ways you can capture so your supply list will vary. Here are 3 different ways:

1.  Get an a/v cable that has both composite and s-video connectors, and plug them into your TV and capture card.  You will also need a splitter for your audio cables unless you don?t mind one of the sources not having any audio.

2. Record footage from your TV to a VCR or DVD recorder, then rip to your computer. With the VCR just connect it to the capture card and record. With the DVD you can either rip it to your computer or just leave it like it is.

3. Get an distribution amplifier and two male?to-male composite or s-video cables then connect each one to your amplifier and source.

See Magnetro’s post in thread linked.

Thanks guys! Rep given :slight_smile: