Career?

Sorry if there is a Thread about this already i just couldnt really see any. So i modded my Arcade stick, and the whole process fascinated me. I feel liek i want to do somethign along the lines of that for the rest of my life. I want to Open things up, solder things, mess with Pcb and motherboards and what not. And Im thinking That would all be apart of a computer engineer program. Am i wrong? Any suggestions for schools or Programs. I put this in the tech forum because it made the most since to put it here. Any help and Info would be appreciated.

Electronic Engineering or Computer Engineering.

I’m doing C.E. right now. Good luck with the calculus… God knows I’m failing it! lol

More along the lines of an Electrical Engineering Tech major. But I believe a Comp Engineer/Comp Engineer Tech could get the same types of jobs.

Just make sure you go into Electrical or Computer Engineering Technology as the program will deal more with hardware and hands on stuff than a straight Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering major would. Those go more into theory.

And there probably wouldn’t be a major that dealt just with messing with motherboards and PCB’s specifically, keep in mind that all of these majors go into a broad range of topics in their field. Also keep in mind that while the Engineering field is rewarding, it’s hard work, probably one of the hardest majors out there. Not to scare you or anything, though, I completed my EET degree recently and I’m glad I did. Also make sure you do internships while in college to make getting jobs easier. Companies will look at experience.

Also agree with Canto on Calculus. Ugh, I hated it.

Yeah, there’s all sorts of things you can do with EE/Computer Engineering - best bet is to check out the course listings and requirements for the various degree options, and see what interests you. If you like to tinker with things, then engineering is the way to go.

I’m an EE as well, but ended up going to law school and becoming a patent attorney (video game patents!)

I agree with GodEater that internships/co-ops are very useful in landing a job. Besides, doing internships/co-ops will postpone graduation, and hopefully let you ride out this economy :frowning:

thanks guys appreciate the help. and trust me i know how hard that calculus is. I was in Game development. UGH!! so Hard. :frowning:

Electrical Engineering is what you want to get into.

It’s great that you brought this up, because so many people have felt like you do right at this moment that they started up their own custom building businesses as well as arcades.

I hope that everyone’s side business is successful for a long time to come. Perhaps some day you’ll delve into that as well?

Very True. Who knows. one day you guys will be ordering parts and buying Custom stick from me. lol Maybe even Other stuff as well. lol. Just all part of the reason i call myself iNerd. You know your a Nerd when you like the smell of a PCb. Haha So Nerdy. Figured i’d take that Nerdism and put it into an education that can get me places.

Hehe, just aim a bit higher. While arcade sticks are quite popular now, it will die down. The parts business is doing much better.

I am actually 100% surprised sticks are selling so well all around (then again it’s nearly impossible to play well on the 360 pad…). In a world where people don’t like spending $40 for a peripheral or complain about buying $50 controllers (all legitamate), we are willing to pay $100-200 on an arcade stick for a single game…

I think right now the test of time is what electronics majors compete with. New projects come up constantly and the learning never stops.

Completely True, by the time my Degree is all said and got, i will probably end up leaning towards Games. The video game industry is booming and i think it will surpass movies if it hasn’t already. Will probably want to work for a company like madcatz (eh, its a start) and actually get hands on with the development of products and work towards engineering and product testing them.

with an associates you can easily get a job as an x-ray technician and work on repairing MRI machines and the like.

i took mine and i’m a tech at intel now.

If you like soldering and PCBs and stuff, you don’t need an electrical engineering degree. Just get a tech degree from DeVry. However, if you actually care to understand how it works or would like to design your own board, then an Computer/Electrical Engineering degree is a must. I suggest you go with Computer Engineering instead of pure Electrical Engineering. This will expose you to more software programming. Nowadays, you can’t just know hardware, you need to know software too.

You won’t learn as much software as Comp Eng. majors, but you do learn programming in an EE major. I learned C++ and machine assembly code.