Changing Jamma board to MAME CPU

Just saw a shop selling used cabinets and they happen to have a metal slug 4 cab. i was thinking if it’ll be possible to drop the jamma board and replace it with a cpu for mame inside and if the tube support the cpu.

PS: they also have a cabinet with a non working tube. will it be possible to just replace it with a LED/LCD monitor?

Yes it is more than possible to convert an arcade cab to be a MAME machine.

You would remove the Jamma harness and Power supply out, wire the controls to some kind of encoder board,
a I-pac, Cthulhu, Cerberus or what ever

Using the original CRT tube?
Ultimarc has the Arcade VGA, VGA video card that support 15 and 25 khz RGB Monitors.
http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html
You will still need to wire a pin adapter for the monitor it self.

PS: they also have a cabinet with a non working tube. will it be possible to just replace it with a LED/LCD monitor?
Yes, but be warned finding a low lag monitor will be difficult.

If you get the Metal Slug 4 cab what you are doing with the board and Metal Slug 4 MVS cart?

Thanks for the reply darksaul, actually i still havent purchased any of them. I was planning on building a mame arcade with a kraylix cab, and i just happen to see this. So i was thinking itll be more cheap and somewhat easier.

So it’s possible to just slap a cpu inside and have the controls connected to a pcb or somesort. As for the monitor isn’t just thesame as a usual crt? I don’t have an idea. so i really need a vga adaptor? Not the converters that can connect cpus to crts?

About using lcds and leds, monitor lag wouldnt be that of a big issue for me as itll just be for keeps and for friends to play with.

Those are great looking cabs!
-ud

Where are you located? I’d take the other one if you’re localish.