Charting character stats, need input on Oni

Just looking for input on this in general, and for each character specifically.

As stated I’d like to keep discussion for each character in the separate threads I am making in their respective sub forums, and input on the idea in general in the above thread.

Also as stated, despite discussion in this thread being open to anyone it would help me separate the wheat from the chaff if each forum could appoint someone who knows what the hell they are talking about to give me the numbers to plug into my spread sheet.

My garbage numbers for Oni:

U1
Endurance - 2
Reversal ---- 4
AA ------------ 4
Zoning ------- 4
Rush --------- 2.5
Mix up -------- 3
Dmg pot ----- 4
Viability -------

U2
Endurance - 2
Reversal ---- 4
AA ------------ 4
Zoning ------- 4
Rush --------- 2.5
Mix up -------- 3
Dmg pot ----- 4
Viability -------

Other than the Endurance these are little more than place holder numbers. Input greatly appreciated.

The end result of all of this will be a spreadsheet with pull down menus to compare up to three characters like so:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2461/adonmak.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I like what you’re doing with this project, keep up the good work :slight_smile: I’d be happy to chat on Skype or w/e if you want some help hammering these out.

I have a lot of experience with Oni so I’d be happy to help with this, but I must admit I’m not 100% sure with the formatting of your charts/numbers, so I want to be sure I understand your ratings so that my numbers aren’t arbitrary.

I don’t really have the ability to do chat here at work but any input via PMs or posts would be appreciated.

There is a bit of discussion in the main thread about defining categories and what the ratings equate to. Mainly it is a comparative system that should take into account all of the characters and all of the match ups, as well as meter dependency, and the ability to build meter.

Taking reversals as an example I would try to pinpoint which character, or characters, has the best reversal in the greatest number of match ups, and under the most circumstances, and assign those people a 5. Then I’d do the reverse for the low figure, which would be a 0 or .5. At that point you should be able to determine with a reasonable degree of accuracy where each character fits.

It is an enormous amount to consider for each rating, and is subjective. But if we have enough dialogue, and pull figures from the correct sources I hope to come to a data set that most people can agree on.

Once I have some semblance of reliable data i plan on releasing a beta spreadsheet. This will allow people to compare the numbers graphically, at that point the inconsistencies will be obvious and I can make amendments for the “final” product.

Hrmn, I’ll take a guess based on comparisons to what I assume are the highest ranking in each category then, I suppose.

U1 (I don’t use U2 but it wouldn’t be too much different either way)

Endurance - 2 - whatever you would classify 950 health at, I guess that’s up to you. I would put him on the low-end though because he has an extremely poor wakeup game, bad backdash, no fadc on shoryu, etc. So not only does he have low health but he’s very vulnerable on wake.

Reversal ---- 4 or 5 (unless this takes FADC into account, in which case it should be like 3). Oni has a 3-frame DP and his EX SRK is amazing, it has invincibility that is rivaled only by Seth’s EX SRK. Oni’s EX SRK beats many wakeup reversals straight out, it’s kind of ridiculous. He can’t FADC any SRK though so I’m not sure how you’d weigh that.)

AA ------------ 3 or 4 is probably good. his LP SRK has no upper invincibility, so though it looks as good as Ryu’s it is not. He’s largely dependent on normals or mp/hp SRK for anti air, but those are very punishable on whiff, unlike lp SRKs from other characters. His normals are good for AA but honestly there’s no reason anyone would jump at him when they can just out footsie / zone him and make it impossible for him to approach.

Zoning ------- 3? He loses footsies to all good footsie characters, his fireballs are extremely punishable and his poke normals do low damage. Even if he’s “winning” footsies, it takes him 2-4 moves to do what a good move from another character can do with one hit. His long range pokes are slow and easily beatable, his fast pokes do low damage.

Rush --------- I would give him at least a 3 here. Maybe a 4 depending, but there’s some bleedover into mixups in this category. LK slash is safe on block and sets up mixups for throw, stomp, jab, etc. FADC’ing it leads to further mixups and Oni is completely momentum based on knockdowns.

Mix up -------- 3 or 4. He has great mixups in theory, but a lot of them aren’t safe. If you want to count strictly Oki, then he should be a 4. If you take into account how technically unsafe a lot of it can be though, it should be a 3.

Dmg pot ----- 4 sounds good, he can do huge damage when given the opportunity. He just struggles to get it.

Viability -------2 or 3. He is a character that is meant to go for mixups but who is punished for going for some of them. He has poor fireballs to compensate for what should be a good rush/mixup game, but he doesn’t have a good enough fireball/poke game to justify it. Against players who know how to fight him/prevent and punish his mixups, he ends up being forced to play footsies / anti air game… but he loses that game as well. Overall he is a character who gets outdone in every area by another character who does what Oni wants to do better than he does.