So I FINALLY completed this stick this weekend.
I checked the “Created on” timestamp on the directory on my computer for the design specs, and it says “August 26th 2013”. So stick is about 3 1/2 months in the making, on and off.
Casing is made of solid ABS plastic. I’m a model-builder, so I tend to be more confortable working with plastic than with wood.
Front and back of the stick: All-Sanwa with a JLF and OBSF-30s, with a recessed/flush-mounted Switchcraft RJ-45 pass-through. Side buttons are L1/L2 and ST/SL/H buttons, all black Seimitsu 24mm screw-ins.
Bottom: nothing exciting here. ABS panel for the bottom, and 40mm black aluminum feet.
But you ask: "Why is there a vertical break on the top panel, and what are those little rectangles above the panel?"
I’m glad you asked!
A spring-loaded “button” allows me to stick my finger in there, and pull of either side of the top panel.
The panels are held down with neodymium magnets, and the electrical work is connected via spring contacts.
So a quick little switch and I have a full-Seimitsu MK-panel! (Ok, the MK-panel isn’t a true MK panel; it’s a modified Astro P2 and the colors are off because I just used leftovers)
Project boxes for different PCBs: I have a PS360+ and a TvC-PCB wired already, I have extra boxes for a ChImp (for PSN-PS2 games) and soon an XBO controller (for KI). The project boxes fit inside the casing after you rip off the top panels.
Instead of crimping an RJ-45 plug directly on my 10’ USB cables, I’ve started to make these instead:
And a complete picture of all my optional gear for this stick so far:
I was originally inspired by of this from a stick that @rtdzgn did about a year ago with swappable sectioned top-panels. @mr3mortified (I don’t think the @ mention is working with his username) also recently posted something with swappable full top-panels a few months ago, so his work also drove me to work harder on mine (though mine was already in-progress at the time). Props to you two for pushing me to work harder/faster.
Also have to thank @Digital717 for his tutorial here on painting MDF; while I didn’t end up with a mirror-finish as I would’ve hoped, his tutorial helped me with the polishing and stuff. Not the super-gloss finish that I would’ve wanted, but it’s still not too bad…