Chun-Li Thread

Wow… I’m not jumping ever again against Guile.

Heh, well, I don’t think it’s that bad at all given the all the factors – the obscurity of the moves (especially the s.far strong), the extreme speed and precision required to execute them (if Muteki can’t always pull them off, how are your random opponents going to?), the fact that you can always throw him for a loop with the Head Stomp like you mentioned, or the option to roll the dice with j.jab or j.strong against his s.far strong. I might be overlooking things, too. I think you might argue that this is dangerously close to Theory Fighter for most players and not really of much practical importance.

It’s just that if his air defense is extra tight, the focus turns to the ground. And I think that’s not necessarily the easiest thing in the world either if he wants to turn into a Sonic Boom factory, especially if he can whip them out one after another very fast. It’s hard to advance from middle range or farther against it, and getting into a fireball war has to be done with caution. He can punish you with j.RH from any range, whereas it’s much harder for you to do the same, 'cause Chun’s jump is so much slower. On the other hand, you’re building meter when trading fireballs, so if you’re good with the super…

Again, that’s just my 2 tokens. Don’t take me too seriously; it’s much better to listen to people who don’t suck. :wgrin:

What an excellent post and reply. What a way to educate and back up you statements.

WOW. :tup:

Raisin raisng the bar :pray:… + rep

Excellent posts, Raisin. :tup:
It’s not as simple as “use jump straight up Short against Blanka” or whatever, because she has to use different normals depending on the distance and height, and possibly what move the opponent is doing.

Against Claw, jump straight up Short and upkicks both work well.

Hrm? Why not…? That’s probably my main anti air against Claw…:confused:

Why’s that? If it works, use it! :tup:

Maybe this weekend I’ll have time to sit down and write it all out.

I’m fairly sure that Guile has no good anti air against Chun’s max range j.Forward. Out of all the Guile’s I’ve ever played (including Muteki), none of them have ever beaten it cleanly. (In the video Raisin linked to, Kita was too far away when he jumped, so his j.Forward whiffed.)

Yeah, I got that (“It’s not as simple as…”)…I just don’t have steady enough competition to point myself in the right direction, and it seems like the CPU claw can just jump in all day, so it wasn’t much use to play the computer and find out…In any case, thanks a ton!

Oh, while I’m posting, I have another question: Why J.Forward in so many situations, instead of J.Short? It seems like J.Short beats a lot more stuff…Besides the ability to cross-up, what’s the deal with J.Forward?

Really? I always lose to Vega’s j. fierce if he jumps from pretty close, so that he hits your head, am I doing it to early?

Yeah, if I could do it 100% of the time I’d definitely use it because of the knockdown, but it’s not that easy so I’d rather use some non-link combos, oh well… back to training.

Oh yeah, thanks to Raisin for the heads up.

I understand you not wanting to rely on that link combo. You could just practice it (I know I should) untill you get it down or use…

j. RH, s. FP xx fireball

…insted. You probably know about it already but it’s my dizzy combo of choice. It doesn’t knockover and leaves them at a distance (which probably isn’t what you want) but it does good damage and if they’re dizzied it’ll near enough finish them off. Plus you can store the super during the fireball.

Yo man, I know that, the problem is that combo doesn’t work on everyone mid-screen, dic, guile to name a few, unless I’m doing something wrong but I don’t think that’s the case, a few posts above I made a list of the combos (non link) I came up for every char and I would have liked someone to confirm that.
Anyway I can nail j.roundhouse, s.strong, cr.roundhouse about 50% of the time now, I’m getting there I guess.

I figured that you’d already know it already but I thought I’d post anyway. I didn’t realise that it missed certain characters. What I would say though is do it on everyone that it hits and just go for the link on everyone else. There isn’t really another good damage, easy combo that’s universal I don’t think. You could replace the cr. RH with s. FP which I think is a little bit easier but again doesn’t knock down.

actually j. RH, s. SP xx fireball hit’s on both of those characters, it’s really easy and does about 40% anyway. If you don’t have the link down go for that insted. It’s better than missing the link.

I always do the link combo, i don’t really bother with the other one. I get it consistently, and prefer the knockdown. Also you can set up a throw /c.rh mixup after the close strong if you want too.

Which Razor Kick are you doing with Chun? Short has, by far, the most invincibility.

Isn’t Jump Fierce, Fierce XX Lightning Kick the best Combo for Chun Li? That what I usually go for, even though I mess it up a lot. :rofl: But that one works on everyone, I’m pretty sure, does good damage, and leaves you in a decent distance.

I’m using short yeah, that’s the only one I use as an antiair.
Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but it looks to me like the red hitbox is on Chun’s legs during the invincibility frames, so if he’s over my head he won’t get hit and he can hit me as soon as my invicibility is over and I’m in a non-hitting frame (
But if you guys say it works, I’ll definitely look closer into it.

I didn’t consider that, but I’m assuming it works on the same chars j.fierce, s.forward xx lightning legs works on, which again isn’t everyone, anyway I tried it against another Chun, which is the one who gives me the most trouble (other than Chun’s mirror matches being terrible for me, but that’s another story), and lightning legs seem to miss, I once got crossup j.fierce, backwards s.fierce xx backwards lightning legs for a 3 hit combo, but don’t ask me how:sweat:
Anyway this is just nitpicking, I’ll go back to practicing that damn link and in the meantime I’ll use the combos I posted earlier.
I’m also interested in how you pull that combo, it’s the first time I really practiced it, what I did was jump, press fierce+forward together, land, mash fierce+forward, works ok on Zangief. Also, is there any difference in damage using short instead? It comes out much more easily.

yea the timing for it is really weird cause sometimes i’ll start mashing the kicks too ealry so i dont get shit out then i get thrown >.>

Actually j.Forward has the bigger hit box, so j.Forward beats a lot more stuff than j.Short. (This is also the reason why it’s easier to use j.Forward for a cross-up.)

Yeah, you gotta have your distance right. If he’s jumping from that close, just take a step forward (to walk under him, because he has nothing to cross you up with) and throw him when he lands.

For lightning legs, Short does one percent less than Forward, which does one percent less than RH.

Updated the Wiki with Chun vs. Guile:

It’s just a primer, so let me know what you think is missing.

You could add that Chun’s cr. roundhouse beats Guile’s cr. forward clean, especially at max range.

Wow this thread is livestock. A lot of good information in here for a semi new ST player. Is jump straight up rh a good anti air versus wall jumping Vegas? I heard jumping short is money against that, but I was just curious. I’ve also gotten caught in gross situations where I was stuck in the corner versus repeated body splashing Zangief and repeated standing fierce, chicken kick thing Fei Long. I’m guessing there’s not much I can do when I’m caught in that situation.

Jump straight up roundhouse is good against wll dives, good damage and knock down, but it comes out somewhat slowly (not that slow, but slow compared to Vega’s speed), on the other hand j. short (straight up or back), while dealing less damage and not knocking down, comes out instantly, stays out until you land, and I think has more priority but you need someone who owns a yoga book to confirm that, it does stuff more jump ins though (shotos’ j. fierce comes to mind), of that I’m sure.
As for splashes, close s.forward beats or trades with them, jump straight up short beats them clean. If you have meter, super out of the corner, you may not hit him and you have wasted a super, but beats dying to ticks.
If you get caught in a chicken wing trap you’re pretty much done for the round, try to look for some opening and jump out, throw, super or something, but if the Feilong player is competent it’s really hard.
Anyway, both Zangief and Feilong are at a disadvantage against Chun, so you should be able to avoid being cornered. There’s more about fighting Gief on the wiki.

I see I see. Thanks for the informative post good sir. =]

I noticed Chun vs O.Sagat wasn’t in the wiki, but I’m guessing the main gameplay against him is to ease your way next to him for standing strong/throw madness. Super of course as well.

Justin Wong (O. Sagat) vs. Chris Doyle (Chun)

This’ll give you a pretty basic idea of what to do