Classified US military video depicting the indiscriminate slaying of aver a dozen

http://www.collateralmurder.com/

Overview

5th April 2010 10:44 EST WikiLeaks has released a classified US military video depicting the indiscriminate slaying of over a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb of New Baghdad – including two Reuters news staff.
Reuters has been trying to obtain the video through the Freedom of Information Act, without success since the time of the attack. The video, shot from an Apache helicopter gun-site, clearly shows the unprovoked slaying of a wounded Reuters employee and his rescuers. Two young children involved in the rescue were also seriously wounded.

The military did not reveal how the Reuters staff were killed, and stated that they did not know how the children were injured.
After demands by Reuters, the incident was investigated and the U.S. military concluded that the actions of the soldiers were in accordance with the law of armed conflict and its own “Rules of Engagement”.
Consequently, WikiLeaks has released the classified Rules of Engagement for 2006, 2007 and 2008, revealing these rules before, during, and after the killings.
WikiLeaks has released both the original 38 minutes video and a shorter version with an initial analysis. Subtitles have been added to both versions from the radio transmissions.
WikiLeaks obtained this video as well as supporting documents from a number of military whistleblowers. WikiLeaks goes to great lengths to verify the authenticity of the information it receives. We have analyzed the information about this incident from a variety of source material. We have spoken to witnesses and journalists directly involved in the incident.
WikiLeaks wants to ensure that all the leaked information it receives gets the attention it deserves. In this particular case, some of the people killed were journalists that were simply doing their jobs: putting their lives at risk in order to report on war. Iraq is a very dangerous place for journalists: from 2003- 2009, 139 journalists were killed while doing their work.

http://www.collateralmurder.com/

Wars have casualties. When the bad guys look like regular dudes sometimes regular dudes gonna get shot up. OK USA!

Unrelated - The only person that change my mind is me. Being too sure of anything is a mistake. I have no comment on the video. There is really nothing to ad.

I will recommend the " No Agenda " podcast for anyone interested news deconstruction. It’s easy to access the news, there is an over abundance of it.

http://www.noagendashow.com/

It’s hosted by John C. Dvorak and Adam Curry

Yeah based on the video it looks like a clear cut case of wrong place wrong time. I mean it sucks that innocents get hurt but this isn’t the first time civilians have been harmed and killed during combat. If you listen to the the radio chatter you hear that they were fired upon by individuals around the two camera men and with the Rules of engagement that gave the officers just cause to defend themselves.

Again it’s a sad event for their families but to be harsh that’s what happens when you hang around people who shoot at helicopters and carry rpg’s :S. It’s not like the US has not lost Journalists during war time conflicts…

who knows how many innocent people have been killed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine, etc… Only time will tell.

When you’re in a war you have to prepare for the consequences of it. There isn’t anything pretty about it. Also, yah, the journalists know very well the danger they were in by constantly walking around areas like that. All this does is show how idiotic this war is once again. War allows for killing of men to not seem like murder since its for a “just cause.” Yet when bystanders are killed that’s somehow murder…

Its nothing short of disgusting. Putting aside the fact that cameras look nothing like AK47’s, the soldiers were laughing while they enjoyed themselves. Between the itchy trigger finger guy “come on let us shoot!” and the ones laughing when a corpse was run over, its laughable when military leaders claim that all precautions are taken and the safety of Iraqi civilians are their highest priority. As always (this is certainly not the first time something like this will happen), absolutely nothing will be done against these butchers. They’ll be protected by the military, lies will continue to be told, a few empty apologies will be made, and the public will forget it ever happened.

Support the troops nigga!

If you ask me the US troops in that video are fucking heroes. If the troops didn’t do that, the “civilians” they just shot may have snuck into secret bunkers the US military hasn’t found yet and launch nukes directed at the United States of America.

I always thought Iraq was behind 9/11. This is proof.

++ to shit happens in a warzone.

No point blaming the troops who pulled the trigger, they have to deal with their own conscious on that one… Karma’s a bitch and all that…

I say blame the politicians who sent them there.

No point in blaming the troops? They came across as blood-thirsty animals, laughing and enjoying the killing. Even congratulating themselves at the end.

It’s a completely disgusting video, the cameras look nothing like AK-47’s, on top of that there are only two camera yet they claim there at least 5 or six. I think the RPG comment is possibly the only justifiable one, but even then it dosn’t appear that way, and once they get round the cornor you can clearly see they do not have weapons. These men shouldn’t been allowed to be in operation of weapons, when the reporter is on the ground one of them is waiting for him to show a weapon so he can shoot again. Then when the van comes along, children can clearly be seen in the front, if they didn’t see this it just shows they were more concentrated on getting confirmation to shoot than anything else.

shit happens in a warzone, but covering that up was fucking fucked up.

Thats the part people should be getting mad at.

Sorry people who think it is easy going to another country where the enemy looks identical to a civilian, shit happens.

Covering it up was foul though.

Both parts were foul, I don’t think ‘shit happens’ is a reasonable excuse for the murdering of innocent civilians.

This is what happens when CoD assholes join the army. God, these shitheads give the military (and this entire nation as a whole) a bad name.

I still do no understand how the fuck they can mistake a camera for a fucking ak-47.

so itake it
chalk it up to if its too hot in the kitchen get out?

would it make you guys happy if soldiers cried every time they killed somebody in the field?

I assume everyone involved in this regrets their actions.

You know.

Assuming they were raised as human beings, and not in a lab.

thats what I sounded like to…someone playing a damn video game…

Because they don’t want to get shot down if they are wrong.

I read the transcript and watched about half of the video. It’s not nearly as crazy as I thought it would be but the army should have come clean about it sooner.