Cody on wake up

cody

the back dash is kind of weak… the bad spray catches people off guard at first but if they bait it its punishable i think… criminal upper EX will get stuffed by good timing… so block and tech??

ex zonk, tho it’s actually hard to time it.
I like Cody’s backdash. It reminds me of the Third Strike backdashes.
Also, it lets your evade attacks if you can scout it correctly, and still be in close proxy to keep your rushdown game going.

Only had the game for a day so far, but the timing on EX Zonk wakeup seems really strict. Bad Spray will eventually become common knowledge and be easily baited as well. CU and RK has been stuffed constantly…

I’m thinking we’re looking at another Balrog here. Block & Tech seems to be more safe for me. Perhaps the more experienced players can comment on this.

Yea I’m having the same problem. EX-Zonk is your best option cuz EVERYTHING else will get stuffed but ex-zonk seems like it wont auto correct at all. This is why I think Cody is going to have bad match-ups on chars that rush his shit down. I dont see him fairing well against Rufus, but then again it looks like Rufus scrapes the new cast.

Hey Guys just starte playin cody and im gettin beasted on wakeup they meaty empty jump and there is no way for me to reversal. I am kinda scrubby but i have basic fundamentals down but what should i do to stop people from getting away with murder on wakeup… Also what can i do for zoning? coming from a ryu background all i had to do was cr. MK fireball and that would work against half the people i play, i have to work a little harder with cody. What are you all doin to keep people out?

cody cannot do anything on wakeup. you have to block and wait for openings. his backdash and wakeup attack options are horrible.

other than blocking, depending on the opponent and how their jump timing is, you can wakeup dash forward. forward dash is very fast and puts him very low to the ground. this isnt a free way to get away, but it works very well and it forces the opponent to change their timing, possibly opening them up to a different wakeup counter attack

cody cannot do anything on wakeup. you have to block and wait for openings. his backdash and wakeup attack options are horrible.

other than blocking, depending on the opponent and how their jump timing is, you can wakeup dash forward. forward dash is very fast and puts him very low to the ground. this isnt a free way to get away, but it works very well and it forces the opponent to change their timing, possibly opening them up to a different wakeup counter attack

Actually Sabre brought up a really good point. Againt DeeJay i was able to foward dash A LOT of his j.mk cross-ups Im sure this goes for a few chars.

Cody had badwaleup options. Wjust block and tech. EX bingoissobad to get out. Might as well us ex RK

Sorry for the spelling. Imfuckingdrunk

Just here to also say I agree that in some situations against jumps his fwd dash is really strong.

I’m not entirely sure if the Gief was just mistiming but I was able to avoid his cross up splashes pretty much all the time by just fwd dashing away. It’s not somethin to be abused, but it helps in certain situations. Besides that yes his wakeup options are pretty bad, just got to learn how to take the pressure and find an opening for you to make your own moves in afterwards.

does anyone have the frame data on his wake up move? the bad spary or whatever its called. i havent used it yet for fear on not know how to use it lol. thanks

bad spray will catch them off guard once or twice but then theyll start focusing it and youre dead

i unerstand that but what i mean is how can it be used? does it auto correct? if someone jump and meaties you will it give you enough immunity frames to get away from it. things like that

Man once they start to put pressure on me in the corner…i’m a goner. I also try to ex bingo then dash out but its not enough space. Hopefully once the game gets release someone will figure cody out. As of right now…block block block. I am tired of blocking.
I forgot all about the bad spray. What does it do?

^^ Same here. I’m still sticking with Cody, but his defensive tactics are outrageously disappointing right now. Of course it’s still way too early, and the game is officially being released tomorrow, so we will have to wait it out for now.

I’m just not jumping on the “Cody isn’t that good” bandwagon as of yet as others have already done in other threads. His link combos are sick, his AA is amazing, and he’s just fun to use. I’m just hoping he isn’t so crap against rushdown.

whether his wakeup options are good or not, he’ll be decent. same as balrog in that respect, and probably even better. he has good footsies, zoning…

im sticking with it, even if he gets figured out.

sometimes “just block” is the best option :slight_smile:

Bad Spray— start up= 25/ active= 12/ recovery= 29/ adv-block= -20/ damage=60/ stun=100

What is the point of using bad spray? From looking at the frame data and damage it looks like EX Zonk would be a better option if you wanted to attack on wakeup.

Unless Bad Spray autocorrects or gives a lot of plus frames on hit I don’t see the point of using it.

What are you all doing for Cody as far as anti air is concerned thanks!!!