Cold feet

It seems I’m having a little bit of trouble when it comes to playin some ol’ SSFIV. I can practice in training mode executing combo’s all day long and for days at a time but when I get in front of a REAL opponent (online or versus mode) I freeze. It’s like everything I’ve been practicing and training for just gets lost and I end up having to use scrub tactics to beat…well scrubs. I can never seem to get into position to execute my combo’s and when I finally get a chance to punish I fuck up my plinking and then I get fuckin punished! Its so damn aggravating and discouraging. I’m constantly being jumped in on worse than a prostitute in the red light district of Las Vegas. Then I get to damn excited when I start a combo and end up dropping it because I’m moving to fast and trying to mash it out. I can’t tech worth a shit because usually the opponent has a God like option-select. It just seems like I’m turtling the whole time and I can’t run the match the way I want to. Its like the opponent has theyre way with me the whole TIME. I guess I should mention that I just started maining Guile and using stick but thats besides the point. I’m assuming all the experience to deal with this shit will come in time but if any experienced players can lend me some advice I’d be willing to take it to the mutha F-in bank.:rolleyes:

That one’s just a matter of getting used to doing combos in a match. Practice mode is great for learning them and getting the timing into muscle memory, but you’re doing them under circumstances where the setup is all the time. In a match, you need to get used to recognizing the right time to actually do them.

No easy solution but to keep playing and to keep consciously trying to match up recognition of combo opportunities with their execution. It’s OK to slow down a bit and work on the fundamentals required to set up combo opportunities: the links you’ve practice aren’t going to matter if you can’t keep them out with AA (in this case FK and c.fp) or zoning (booms).

once you get used to the pressure, you’ll settle down & be able to execute.

Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it.

Pretty much reiterating what caim said. Practice simultaneous application of execution(hit confirms, punish set ups, spacing), matchup knowledge(x works from this range against y, x punishes y’s attack on block, what are my corner options, etc), and your mind games(conditioning, changing up style of play/tactics mid match). You will find (as you already have) that performing combos under match conditions interfere with your input timing because you’re constantly dividing, and distributing all of your effort on trying to make split second determinations throughout the match along with what I previously outlined.

BTW I’m not really good at the game and am in the same boat with you. Though I have definitely seen some improvement in my game by knowing what to improve and approaching each match with the goal not to win, but to learn more and take notes on my own performance. Although I would like to win during the process :smiley:

Yes I see what your saying Stev3child. I take loses horribly and considering that I’ve been playing this game for about 6 months I’m still terrible at it. It makes me frustrated. I know that some people take to this game like a duck to water and just be good right away and thats what bugs me the most. I just wanna be God tier.

Your just in the hard stretch, don’t worry there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I take losses horribly, and still do, but I have improved on it. Orginally I felt it meant that I was an awful player and I should quit, but now it just makes me realize that I don’t know certain match ups. If theres ever a time in a fight where you are like oh, what do I do now? Then that is crucial. I had problems vs Sagat and everytime he was full screen throwing tiger shots preventing me from proceeding (thumbs up if you get the reference <_<) I’d panic and have no idea what to do, and when I lost because of it I just felt I was bad that I couldn’t overcome something. Now when in those situations I just go back and think about what I could have tried instead of what I was doing.

Also a side note about the combos in game. I was exactly the same, and since I main cammy it was really horrible and limiting. I ended up forcing myself just to do the combos anyway, regardless of how much experience I had with them or how confident I felt with them. Of course I tried to use them in the right situation, but I did mess them up a fair few times before I got it right. It’s all just a process that you need to build on, if you keep at it you’ll get it.

Wow that went on a bit longer than expected. Oh yeah, 6 months is a decent amount of time, but not nearly as long as you think. The way the game works is that your skill builds up in really tiny amounts, you will never notice a great leap. But I am 100% sure your 6 month experienced self could beat your 2 month experienced self!

Verging on 9 months play here and I’m still absolutely terrible, most people who pick the game up quickly probably have a previous history in FG’s. Not sure if you have, but I didn’t and I’m sure prior exp. in SF2/3 would be beneficial in SF4. (Footsies, spacing, execution etc. etc.).

Like Choco says though, I have noticed improvement in myself and was actually saying the other day to a friend of mine that I’d like to challenge myself from 6 months ago ;). Was watching BTTF at the time haha.

Just keep at it and don’t let it get too you. It’s only a game after all and it’s supposed to be fun.

experiment with different characters. i bought super 2 weeks ago, and prior to that my only fighting game experience was about 6 weeks of vanilla sf4 on PC (then super came out and i didn’t buy it until recently due to having neither a ps3 or 360).

i guess im one of the ‘duck to water’ people, because the period you describe of feeling always like a turtle went by me in a few days of footsie practice. I think you should rethink the way you practice, and that you need to learn footsies first. there’s no point learning combos if you can’t even set up the opportunity to land them. so im still new at this game, so veterans feel free to correct me, but i think you need to practice in this order:

1. footsies/spacing/knowledge
  2. punishes
  3. combos/links
  4. shenanigans

footsies/spacing/knowledge
you have to build your game from the ground up. you need to teach yourself to footsie and space correctly. so how do you do it? experiment with your different normals. dance in and out of your opponents range and practice beating them out with your normals. learn at what distances not to stand against each character so that you don’t get jumped in on/crossed up and where they can jump from where your normals will beat them out. read your character forums. which normal is your best AA? what’s your best normal poke? which normals are situational and can stuff other normals?

find this out, then practice them. you’re going to suck at first, believe me. but you already suck now and your current practice regime isn’t cutting it - it’s time to change it up. don’t expect instant results. other people have been playing this game for YEARS and already know what you’re still practicing as second nature. but i am absolutely adamant that you need to learn footsies, spacing and to expand your use of normals to win. ESPECIALLY if you’re playing guile.

baiting/punishing
once you’ve started getting the hang of footsies and baiting your opponent into making mistakes, train yourself to punish every mistake possible - you can’t let people get away with mistakes, but let’s face facts for a second: your execution sucks. so just work on punishing with normals or really basic links. FA if it’s a huge mistake like a whiffed fierce DP or something. but really, even a sweep or throw is okay at first. as long as you’re doing SOMETHING to punish every punishable mistake.

combos
so now that you can footsie, and your opponents now have to respect your ability to punish dumb mistakes. now you can start practicing your links and combos fervently because now you’ve got an opportunity to actually use them. start with easy ones, break down the harder ones into parts. and the same with footsies, don’t expect instant results. you’re still going to choke sometimes, but if you focus less on specific links and combos and more on creating opportunities to land them through good footsies and spacing, you’ll find the combos just start flowing.

shenanigans
learn the basics first. the worst thing you can do is learn to rely on gimmicks without truly understanding why the gimmick works in the first place and you need to know which players your shenanigans will work on.

good luck!

i just read this post from Kelter Skelter and i really think it’s something worth regurgitating: “There is nothing wrong with not using many combos. If you’re really winning using just pokes then you’re learning a lot of fundamentals other new players aren’t. If you don’t let anyone jump without getting tagged then you’re miles beyond other players who can do the most intricate combos.”

i think this pretty much sums up what i’m trying to say

You need a more simple plan.
Before you think of combos, just focus on simple things like fireballs and uppercuts…