Comboing?

I’m an extremely new player to SSF4 but I have a ton of history with Marvel games(I know they are completely different and this information isnt relevant). I play Cody a bit, but I would just like to know how to get the mentality out of my head of thinking j.hk > c.hk is the safest thing to do. I can do his combo consisting of j.mk > c.lp > c.lp > c.mp xx medium RK/ heavy CU. I just can’t bring myself to do it because I think that missing a link will cost me the match.

Is there anything I can do to get this out of my head? Or should I just risk dropping the link anyway?

The only way to replace bad habits with good ones is to play and make a concerted effort to do just that. There’s really no trick, just repetition and practice.

Alright, I will just keep playing and forcing myself not to do it. Thanks for the help.

I’m in the same boat, I just do not get on with Links. Ever.

So, I dabble in Ibuki who doesn’t rely on them (Target Combos), And Dudley, Who has Target Combos and fairly easy links.

With Cody, you could start by using jab criminal upper in your combos. That way, if you miss the lp mp link, you’re at least semi-safe since lp CU has decent pushback and is only -5 on block so it’s pretty hard to punish on block for a lot of the cast. Once you get more confidence, you can switch to using hp CU or ruffian kicks.

Its better to start out with j. RH> a few cr LP’s> cr LK xx Fierce CU. Theres almost no way you’ll miss that link.
After that you could try using j. RH> forward MP> cr. LP> cr. LP> cr. LK xx Fierce CU. Its slighty harder but has more benefits like higher damage, its a frame trap and its puts you at throw distance.