Comics you're reading

I like it as well. Ellis is a great story teller and the dialogue he writes for the characters can go from sensible to super-snarky at anytime.

The artwork is kinda underwhelming for me though; looks like Geoff Darrow-wannabe in some panels and the faces could be better drawn imo. I don’t know, Gary Frank draws amazing faces and head shots overall and maybe I’m looking for that in The Wild Storm.

So apparently Marvel is ‘teaming up’ with IDW to publish young age books of Marvel characters.

I can’t help but think if they are going this route instead of internal that isn’t a good sign for Marvel’s comic branch.

I guess the idea is that it’s a new take on the universe, so it makes sense that even the art would look different from what most people typically associate with WildStorm. Plus, Davis-Hunt’s art shares similar aesthetics to some of Ellis’ other recent collaborators, too. Things just look crisp and the storytelling is clear. I haven’t looked too deeply into interviews or anything but I imagine that Ellis had some input into the artist.

IDW’s already doing some Star Wars comics for Disney/Marvel, so maybe they just think the partnership is working out for them. Or maybe Marvel just doesn’t care about reaching younger readers. IDW has had some success with reaching that audience, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel doesn’t care and would rather just license out the work.

Yeah that makes sense, Marvel hasn’t really landed the all age or young aiming comics lines they have out out since the mid to late 00s.

I don’t know if you ever check out Warren Ellis’ weekly newsletter, but in this week’s edition, he wrote a little bit about Davis-Hunt’s artwork in The Wild Storm:

I have to wrap this up, because I also need to work on the expanded outline of issues 19-24 of THE WILD STORM, connecting up all the things, setting up the introductions of characters, trying to get everything to come together on issue 24 to wrap up the series relatively neatly. Hopefully without breaking Jon, who I think I’ve done serious damage to lately. It’s nice that enough of you followed along that we’re actually going to get to the end of our story, so thanks for that. It would have been really gutting if Steve Cook had built that issue-number indicator into the logo and we didn’t get to the end of it.

Right now, I’ll be glad when it’s over, because three-quarters of the way in I’m walking around yelling I NEVER WANT TO SEE A GRID AGAIN. I chose the grid because it’s classical – it dates back to the earliest comics. You can find grids in Alex Raymond’s FLASH GORDON, in LITTLE NEMO, even on occasional in KRAZY KAT and ALLY SLOPER’S HALF HOLIDAY. It’s the language of comic strips, as well as the language of Kirby (six-grids) and Ditko (nine-grids). Grids impose clarity and order. They’re really simple to read.

(When I was a kid, Paul Gravett said something very important to me. It’s easy, relative to skill and vision, to make a fantastic looking comics page. It is very much harder to make a comics page that communicates so clearly that anyone can read it. Clarity is the gold standard.)

(One of the most interesting treatments of the grid in comics is Bryan Talbot’s THE TALE OF ONE BAD RAT, which is built on a nine-panel-grid and its ratios - so you’ll see a half-panel, or a panel plus the gutter, or other peculiar fractions of the basic grid, all painstakingly worked out. Bryan and I were on a train to Glasgow once and he had the art boards with him, and he walked me through the entire process behind the book.)

A lot of choices in WILD STORM were taken to separate the book from its origins in the Wildstorm comics of the 1990s. Textured watercolour style colours instead of slick digital colouring. Grids instead of splash pages and exploded layouts. There were a lot of reasons for this. Everything Wildstorm did in terms of production back then is now standard, so steps had to be taken to make THE WILD STORM feel as different from the standard commercial superhero comic today as the Image stuff did back then. But the grids, the colours and Jon’s linework also suggest a “pre-superhero” state to some extent – the sense of the days before the explosion. Hopefully, as we progress, you’ll see what I mean. (What I meant all along.)

Yeah, I got the idea behind it and it’s very insightful. I’m hoping this universe reboot works out for the best and I hope they close it out properly.

Hoo boy.

Infinity Wars Prime #1 is a great read. New circumstances and new threats are happening, I’m excited where it will go. Also, a major villian is killed off early in the story.

Doomsday Clock #6 is AMAZING. Best issue of the series so far and I got shivers reading it.

mhm

Bryan Singer in Talks to Direct ‘Red Sonja’ for Millennium :disappointed_relieved:

I would like a Red Sonja movie, but not with this guy.

After 10 years, I am finally buying Amazing Spider-Man again. This guy Nick Spencer, man. I’ve read the first four issues of his run and I am loving it.

Also, Tom King’s run on Batman has been baller. Even after the Bat/Cat wedding went south (c’mon, we all knew that was gonna happen) the man has continued to impress.

Anyone here reads Supersons?

https://youtu.be/kBBvIyGqQY

Currently reading:

The Incal - Almost finished with this one, then on to Metabarons.

World War Hulk Omnibus - first time reading any of the tie-ins. Surprisingly decent.

How is Jadorowosky’s comics? I absolutely adore his films, but I have not given his comics a shot.

I’m currently reading:

Bloodshot: Salvation
Deadly Class
Saga
Marvels Champions
DC’s Heroes In Crisis
Pretty Deadly

They are really good. The Incal specifically is really a product of its time - it was pretty revolutionary back then, but so much has copied it/stolen from it over the decades that it might not seem like much of a deal to a new reader today. Moebius art is timeless though.

I’m a volume or two behind on Saga tpb’s (I think 9 just came out) and I’m reading Deadly Class via the big hardcovers, of which the second one comes out next week I think. Looking forward to the latest Walking Dead hardcover next week too.

After World War Hulk is done I’m going to dive into DC Rebirth for the first time now that I finished up with the New 52 reading I wanted to do. The final book of that era I read was Multiversity and it was one of the best books I’ve read in years.

As far as Rebirth goes I have the two Tom King Batman hardcovers, Detective Comics, the first Wonder Woman hc, and the two Superman and Action Comics books to get to.

I just finished reading Watchmen. It is awesome. Dr. Manhattan is God.

I find Jodorowsky writing to be very light on plot and characterization but full of cool ideas. I’ll say I’m more of a Moebius fan than a Jadorwosky fan.

ive had the incal in my google play books library for years and never bothered reading it.
shit i havent even read star wars lost stars manga yet.
btw, go watch jodorowsky’s dune if you havent seen it yet.

Ok so i just stumbled upon something and WTF. When did this deranged crap happen?

I mean, he could see him disagreeing and saving her, and knocking them out. But he kills them. He actually friggin’ KILLS them!! WTF. Who wrote this shiit?!

And since when does Colossus bleed in his Steel form? Since when does Luke Cage no longer have invulnerable skin? Lastly, When did Colossus become a muthafukkin’ psycho?!

Right-click and “open link in new tab” to blow it up. Be sure to have a puke bucket nearby, in regards to the shitty writing and character assassinations. Both figuratively and literally.