Comics you're reading

My comic pickups for today!

free comics

1. https://marvel.com/redeem

using the code—of course—“FOREVER,” you can pick up free digital copies of five very good slices of Black Panther comic storytelling: Black Panther #1 (2005), Black Panther: World of Wakanda #1, Marvel’s Black Panther Prelude #1, Black Panther #1 (2018), and Shuri #1 .

1. https://marvel.com/redeem

Codes:

KIRBY
NATASHA
PARKER
ROGERS
STARLORD
THANOS
TONY
FALCON
GHOSTRIDER
THOR700
THANOSWINS
COCDRSTRANGE
NCBD17
PUNK
ICEMAN
DEVIL
CABLE
WAKANDA
CONTEST
COMICDAY
HERODAY17
AGENTS
COCXMEN
COCWARRIOR
MEDUSA
WINTER
LEGACY
WARRIOR
VENOMCOC

A few of those codes don’t work anymore, but I just redeemed like 20 comics. When you enter a code, sometimes you will see more than one comic available for redeeming. Don’t remove a comic or the code will not go through. Not I have Moongirl and Devilsaur on my list, agh.

1. more free comics

After redeeming your codes on marvel.com, you can go to comixology.com, link your marvel.com account, and synchronize so you’ll have your collection available on both sites.

I finally read Unicron #6. Man, sad to see Transformers come to an end. They are making a new universe:

https://westfieldcomics.com/blog/interviews-and-columns/interview-brian-ruckley-on-idws-transformers/

1:38 man, that’s some pretty awesome pencil work by Diego Bernard.

HOLY…JESUS!!!

O.G. G-1 MEGATRON VS GOZER!!

THIS PAGE ALONE HAS ME SOLD ON IDW COMICS!!

Megatron has that Ben Sisko Pimphand bitch Slap look going on, here his casual backhand that will wipeout whole solar systems, assassinate political figures and put reality benders in their place.

Man I love Gozer’s and her dogs designs as G-1 bots!!!

Interview with the guys behind the IDW Ghostbusters series:
https://www.idwpublishing.com/behind-the-scenes-on-the-highly-anticipated-transformers-ghostbusters-crossover/

Same comic crossover gave us this

IMG_1011

GOD BLESS IDW!!!

very clean images, butI have no love for the chunky G1 transformer designs, especially after IDW. Hope will see some of those updated models. It seems in this new continuity they are going to introduce female transformers right away.

I haven’t been to my comic shop in months. I had to put money towards Christmas shopping and getting a new bike among other things. Is Amazing Spider-Man still good? Is Marvel improving or getting worse?

Just picked up the first 2 hardcover collections of “Wayward” and preordered the 3rd and final book for it last night. I’m excited.

I read the Kreee Skrull War in Barnes and Noble a few days ago.

Pretty enjoyable.

I liked the first volume of the Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley Amazing Spider-Man. I’m gonna follow it. I think it’s way better than Spider-Man was before, but I’m generally not real big into Dan Slott’s work, and I flat out dislike Humberto Ramos’ art. So this new run is a massive improvement for sure.

One of the comics I was reading was Nick Spencer’s Amazing Spider-Man run before I stopped going to my comic shop. I have issues 1-7. I REALLY enjoyed that first arc and this is someone that hasn’t bought ASM since 2008. Dan Slott’s Run on the book and the Brand New Day garbage really ruined Spidey for me. I still say the best work Slott did on Spidey was the Spider-Man/Human Torch mini series. Well, as long as ASM and ASM Renew Your Vows are doing well, I’m happy and I’ll continue buying them.

I’m not buying much new Marvel stuff these days but word is, Marvel comic sales are in the toilet.

Yeah, I reread Slott’s Spidey/Human Torch maybe a year or two ago, and I thought that was loads better than his actual run. I don’t think he’s a horrible writer or anything, but there’s just something about his work generally that leaves me utterly disinterested, and over time I’ve become rather dismissive towards most of his comics. Some of the plots and basic premises he comes up with are a bit too dumb for me, I think - like the entire Superior Spider-Man concept.

I’m not sure if Marvel’s comic sales are really in the toilet. I suppose it depends what the point of comparison is. From what the data says, Marvel had a 39% dollar share in comic book stores in January. (DC was second at 29%.) Apparently, sales in January 2019 were up over 14% compared to January 2018, marking the first time in four years that sales have improved in January.

Then again, one of my local comic shops is going out of business and closing for good this weekend, so I guess “improved sales” is relative.

As someone who worked at a comic book shop for 3 years: people would rather wait for or order trades, hardcover/deluxe editions, compendiums or go through comixology. Single issues barely moved from our racks or boxes.

We had a few subscribers (maybe a few dozen) but that didn’t really help us.

I much prefer to buy individual issues on comixology than trades even though they have better and more deals on trades than individual issues.

I only use comixology if I absolutely have to like if the comic or manga is only distributed through comixology. I much prefer physical print.

Agreed. I like knowing that real trees died so I could consume my ultimately meaningless entertainment.