Common Ground Club - Post up your Common Ground Pad/Stick Finds

Searching through TT revealed that there isn’t a complete list of Common Ground Pads/Sticks out there ready for general consumption. I thought having one long list (thread) would be useful after I posted a similar question on my FB page. Since may of us TT folks like using custom sticks or modifying off the shelf stuff and the latest Fighting Game Tourney news suggests PS4 is the future… it made sense to have discuss some Pad hacking options. So here goes (some from my thread with real names, they won’t be used for privacy)…

PS4
Guilty Gear Collector’s edition pad - PS4 - Confirmed by Gummo
Hori Fighting Commander 4 - PS4 - Confirmed by Gummo
Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4 - PS4/PS3 - Confirmed by @“Jasen Hicks” [No inversion, No diodes needed]

PS3

XBOX ONE PADS
XBOX ONE Mini series (triggers need to be inverted) - XBOX ONE - Confirmed by Gummo
Hori Pad One (triggers don’t need to be inverted) - XBOX ONE - Confirmed by Gummo
PDP MKX Pads - Confirmed by ???

XBOX 360
Rock Candy - XBOX 360 - Confirmed by Confirmed by Gummo
Mad Catz 4716 PAD (triggers need to be inverted on most revisions) Can be rebranded as GameStop, not to be confused with the PDP made version. - Darksakul
Mad Catz 04758 ARCADE GameSTICK for Xbox Live Arcade (triggers need to be inverted) - Darksakul
PDP 360 Versus Pad (may not be suitable for dual-mod as all the buttons and directions are active-high - Darksakul/FreedomGundam

It’s fine for use on its own, though. Just don’t plan on using it in a dual-mod.

Nintendo - NES/Famicom
Lacks system Plug/ hardwired to console, electrically compatible with US/European NES consoles - Darksakul
Original Nintendo Japanese Famicom Controllers - Common Ground (both players, both the round and square button varieties) - Darksakul
Sharp Famicom Twin Controllers, all variants (Common ground) - Darksakul
Famicom Titler Controllers (Common ground, identical to Famicom Twin Controller) - Darksakul
Famicom versions used a deep socket DB 15 similar to Neo Geo controllers, electrically compatible with US/European NES consoles. - Darksakul
Original Nintendo Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers - Darksakul
Original Nintendo NES2/NES Top Loader/Famicom AV “Dog Bone” controllers - Darksakul
Hudson Soft Joy Card Famicom Controller (includes the original and the Hector 87 controllers) - Darksakul
Hudson Soft Joycard Sansui SSS NES/Famicom (Needs to test)
Hori NES and Famicom gamepad - Darksakul
NES Max - Darksakul
Nintendo NES Advantage stick - Darksakul
ASCII STICK Controller AS-2088-FC - Darksakul
Yobo Knock off NES/Famicom controller - Darksakul

Super Nintendo/ Super Famicom
Original Nintendo SNES/SFC Gamepad - Darksakul
Nintendo/Hori Super Game Boy Controller - Darksakul

NEO-GEO
AES Stick - Common Knowledge
NGCD Pad - Common Knowledge
NEO-GEO CD Controller Pro - Common Knowledge

Multi-Console PCBs
PS360+ - XBOX, PS2, PS3, XBOX 360, NES, SNES, DREAMCAST, SATURN, Limited PS4
Toodles MC Cthulhu - PS3, PS2, PSX, PC, Gamecube, Wii through Gamecube controller Port, Xbox, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine, NES/Famicom, SNES/Super Famicom
Mayflash - PS3 XBOX 360 - Has separate grounds, all 0 volts. You can crossover to any one and the inputs to work fine. Shorting all “grounds” to each other seems to work.

Post your findings in the comments (format like I did for easy of copy/paste) and I will keep this top thread up to date.

I recommend keeping the discussion to the pads and technology and not the shops/sites/etc that carry them. If you need to find one listed, I recommend checking here: www.google.com

Jasen, one recommendation:
Separate the list by console/platform, then by type (Pad/Stick/bare PCB/etc), and have duplicate entries if applicable (ie, the PS360+ would go under multiple platforms’ lists).
Would make it easier for searching based on intended purpose (ie, “I need a PCB for XYZ console, what are my options?”) rather than parts availability (ie, “I have ABC PBC, what could I use it for?”); since the former is most likely a more common scenario than the latter.

Done. Ill expand the list as the inputs grow :smiley:

I think I confirmed and or made pinouts for all those pads. Not really a big deal.

Reserved JIC

Xbox 360
MADCATZ 4716 PAD (triggers need to be inverted on most revisions) Sometimes re-branded as GameStop controllers, not to be confused with the PDP made Game Stop controller which is not common ground.
Mad Catz 04758 ARCADE GameSTICK for Xbox Live Arcade (triggers need to be inverted) See -> http://www.amazon.com/04758-ARCADE-GameSTICK-Xbox-XBOX360-360/dp/B000MCHETQ

Nintendo - NES/Famicom

Lacks system Plug/ hardwired to console, electrically compatible with US/European NES consoles
Original Nintendo Japanese Famicom Controllers - Common Ground (both players, both the round and square button varieties)
Sharp Famicom Twin Controllers, all variants (Common ground)
Famicom Titler Controllers (Common ground, identical to Famicom Twin Controller)

Famicom versions used a deep socket DB 15 simular to Neo Geo controllers, electrically compatible with US/European NES consoles.
Original Nintendo Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers - Common Ground
Original Nintendo NES2/NES Top Loader/Famicom AV “Dog Bone” controllers - Common Ground (both versions uses US NES style plugs)
Hudson Soft Joy Card Famicom Controller (includes the original and the Hector 87 controllers) - Common Ground
Hudson Soft Joycard Sansui SSS NES/Famicom (Needs to test)
Hori NES and Famicom gamepad (Common Ground)
Nintendo NES Max (Common Ground)
Nintendo NES Advantage stick (Common Ground)
ASCII STICK Controller AS-2088-FC (Common Ground)

Yobo Knock off NES/Famicom controller (Common Ground)

Super Nintendo/ Super Famicom
Original Nintendo SNES/SFC Gamepad - All Regions (Common Ground)
Nintendo/Hori Super Game Boy Controller (Common Ground)

Updated. Removed the @ from the names because it was causing issues with the list.

I’ve used the PDP 360 Versus controller in a few padhacks, it’s definitely common ground. I would imagine the PS3 and Wii variants are as well.

The PDP 360 Versus pad is technically common ground, but it’s not suitable for any sort of dual-mod (unless you like pain) as all the buttons and directions are active-high (as opposed to active-low with almost all other PCBs). Explained by @Darksakul here: PDP Marvel Vs Capcom 3 Fight Pad PCB Diagram (Not suitable for Dual Mod)

It’s fine for use on its own, though. Just don’t plan on using it in a dual-mod.

I know the Mayflash(PS3/360) has separate grounds if you test continuity, but… they are all 0 volts, and you can cross over any single to any ground and the stick seems to work just fine. I also tried shorting all the “grounds” to each other without an issue.

Updated.

links to pinouts would be very helpful :slight_smile:

I know there are new CG pads and sticks out. MKX Pads need to be added. Any others?

Added the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4. Just got it and verified it common ground, no diodes required.