Completely new to fighting games need some help

So after watching EVO 2012 I was pumped to get into fighting games since I play competetive FPS.

The fighting games I have are Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Bloody Roar, but I only play SFA3(Or Zero three in Japan.)

I spend the majority of time in training mode, I would like to move on to different characters, besides:Ryu,Ken etc, but there are some problems.

The main problem is the Ps3 controller, I’m forced to use the D-Pad, but that makes it impossible to do moves. Grapplers, and charge characters are impossible, linking combos into a super impossible, the D-Pad is impossible to use. If anyone has anytips for the PS3 Controller would be nice.

No, I’m not buying a fightpad, arcade stick or anything like that if my controller limits me I’ll just quit that simple.

Are there guides for using charge how are you supposed to charge up your attacks for up to 2-3 seconds either walking back out of range or sitting completely open crouching leaving you vulnerable for a crossup.

Oh, well. Even though there are many cases of people using a pad and doing well (Wolfkrone, Fanatiq) you have started an uphill climb here. The D-Pad will be a constant battle for accuracy so as for “tips” on how to execute better unfortunately that comes down to just a lot of practice. Multiple hours a week, more never hurts (except maybe your thumb I start working up a blister after too much SF on a pad when forced).

As for guides on how you’re supposed to charge without giving up ground you could try whiffing a standing punch while holding the charge, or just holding downback. You’re only susceptible to an overhead or crossup if you don’t block, and blocking is a large part of SF4 so you will have to learn that eventually. Some characters like Guile have a normal that moves them forward, gaining you some ground while holding the charge. Charge characters need to get into comfort zones and rhythms to really start playing their game - so as a charge character make note of where you like your opponent at, and at what times you feel “in the groove”; you can use this information to tell when another charge character is about to throw a move out.

When you say pad? Are you talking about the PS3 D-pad or a pad conroller, pad controllers have analog sticks, the PS3 D-PAD is incredibly hard to chain and link your combos

Ps3 controller isnt any harder than stick when it comes to chain and link your combos , you’re just not used to it. As far as you getting into fighting games , I suggest getting into the newer ones as they are the ones that are played competitively and the ones where you can also find lots of people online. I would recommend Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition , Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 , King Of Fighters 13(bad netcode) , Soul Calibur 5 ,etc

I’ve never seen a fightpad with an actual analog stick, the one I had from Madcatz had 6 face buttons and a d-pad, but that’s besides the point, I meant a d-pad. And nothing is impossible on a pad, but the games have been designed for literally 20+ years with a fightstick in mind so some of the executions and combos might be a little awkward on a pad.

It really will come down to a LOT of practice, there is no easy way around that.

Two 360 motions are impossible on pad.

Starting on the ground, without jumping? Probably.

But being able to do a 720 with a stick without jumping is impressive enough that people will actually clap and lose their shit when it happens in match. If you’re trying to get that out you will want to buffer it in another move. If you’re talking about Zangeif then try his cr.:hk:, it takes a long time for him to stick his foot out, and then scoot forward. While his foot is out go ahead and pump in both circles (you don’t even have to do it fast, just time it to finish when he stands up), and right when he stands up press :lp::mp::hp: and bammo, Ultra.

Personally, I find standing 720s easier on pad than on stick - I could actually do them when I played Tager in BBCT. As I’ve learned more about fighting games, I’ve moved away from grapplers, though. In any case, the total distance moved to input :f::d::b::u::f::d::b::u: on pad is shorter (generally speaking) than the distance to input it on stick. No, you don’t actually have to hit the diagonals, at least not in modern games.

Generally, you want to buffer 720 on the fastest moves you can; for Geif this would be s.:lp:, s.:mp:, and cr.:lk:. That said, there are some other useful places to learn to buffer a 720 motion for Zangeif, like :f::d::df:+:lp:. It’s all practice.

Also, the dualshock 2 and 3 have the best d-pads imo. The only thing that comes close is the Saturn’s. If only there was a PSX-style controller with six face buttons…

Remmeber I’m playing SF:A3 on Console not street fighter IV, but anyways, I think I’m going to give this up, its too hard to do combos/jump in without the cpu punishing you for max damage, then I can’t get suppers to come out when I need them to and if I get them they just block it, complete bullsh** OI’m not gonna waste my time, I’ll just play street fighter on my iphone at least they make it easy to do combos, because playing without an arcade stick is a joke.

if you werent able to execute those moves on controller there is no way in hell youll be able to do it on a stick , you need to stop blaming the controller and actually practice. Its not the game , its YOU.

Oh, sorry to see you give this up after such a short time practicing. Fighting games are not easy. Fighting games come with a lot complex controls and systems that have evolved from actual arcade machines. While many consolations to the “controller crowd” have been made over the 25 years of their history - it’s hard to shake a legacy like that.

You will NOT get better at a combo in a day, in two days, even in a week if you’re new. You’ve chosen Alpha 3 as your game of choice, and this is a game that was created FAR BEFORE console ports or console players were a thing Capcom cared to cater toward - therefore any attempts to play that style of game on anything but an actual joystick will be hampered. This complaint seems akin to not liking a motorcycle because you need both hands to drive one.

Also as stated in other threads, you are playing the CPU. The way AI works in fighting games is it reads your inputs - then reacts. What makes fighitng CPU so hard/unfulfilling is that they can read and react to your movements within milliseconds - meaning any human element is taken out of the equation. If you’re just jumping in without a safe attack - the computer KNOWS it can punish you, and if it’s on a high enough difficulty, WILL punish every unsafe thing you do. While this is good training to not throw out unsafe shit, a lot of the battle in fighting games is landing that unsafe poke at just the right time, playing the mindgames and getting your opponent to mentally break.

But as you’ve already given up and moved to the iPhone (favoring the controls of all things) I can say fighting games may not be for you to learn in an in-depth way. It will take hours a week, countless HARD losses, and a general desire to put your nose down and sweat out being really bad at something for quite some time.

There is a reason the winners at EVO get so excited: Street Fighter is Hard.

I am new as well to fighting games, I casually played them over my life and enjoyed what I did play. I bought MK9 on release and just got SSF4:AE on Steam sale a few days ago. I will stick to it but I do agree using a pad is kinda hard, try using the thumbstick if the pad is too hard, I use a Razer Onza so the pad is a bit easier than the PS3 one. I focus on Starcraft, and used to be competitive in CS Source, it’s not easy to get good at anything, just have to take your time and work hard. Don’t quit, just keep playing until you get the hang of it.

No trying to do two 360 motions on a dpad is impossible without jumping, so I really can’t use grapplers, or charge characters.

Standing 720s are easier on pad than stick (you have less distance that you have to move, therefore the motion is faster), trust me. It’s just very hard. Charging, on the other hand, definitely feels more natural to me on stick than pad. It’s definitely not impossible on pad though.

The problem with charge characters comes in the desi at charge back and you quickly roll your thumb over to toward, you might have accidentally triggered :d: or any of it’s variant’s in the process. If this was SF4 that wouldn’t matter - the shortcuts allow that move to still come out. But as pointed out earlier you’re on Alpha 3, a game that has no shortcuts and is meant to be played on actual arcade machines.

That being said it is true that “command characters” like Ryu, Viper, Cody, etc. are easier to play on a pad than on a stick, your thumb is a lot faster than your entire hand/fingers.

seriously? your gonna quit while putting the maximum restrictions on your FG experience? Playing an ancient game which very few still keep up with against the CPU on console controller would give anyone a bad taste in their mouth.

Dude, just get SSF4. you can get it on amazon for under $15. Your not gonna get anything out of fighting games playing the computer, but a match against a real life opponent is one of the most enthralling gaming experiences you can have.

But if you’re frustrated because you can’t do “big combos” or “jump in” your coming in with the wrong expectations. You need to be more teachable and patient if you ever want to learn. In an FPS, you wouldn’t just run around a map aimlessly pointing your gun and firing, and expect to kill anyone, would you? Because a reckless offense in fighting games is essentially that.

You need to learn the fundamentals of defense, spacing & move characteristics, and not just how to do combos but more importantly WHEN to do combos, and how to put yourself in a position to land said combo!

As far as the controller thing, dude the madcatz fight pad is like $30. sure a decent stick is $100, but if you don’t like it you can sell it piece of cake. If you are an adult, there’s no reason you can’t scrounge up that money.

You watched evo and wanted a similar experience? Playing vs the CPU on Alpha 3 with a ps3 controller couldn’t be further from what you saw. If you really want to experience the most fun/hype competitive gaming has to offer, people here WILL help you get better. But you gotta put forth some effort, instead of blaming fighting games for your poor experience.

I play pretty much exclusively on PS2 and PS3 pads, and my execution is pretty decent. Or at least I think it is, looking at how often I hear people complain about executing something and I find myself thinking “but it’s not really that hard.” If you just put in enough practice, you’ll get better. I mean, I’m sure there’s people out there who’ll think to themselves that this is something they could never do, but who just aren’t willing to put the time in to improve themselves to get to that level. That goes for the strategy side of the game too, not just physical execution.

Also, if you’re going to get into fighting games, it’s a far better idea for you to start with a game that’s actually popular.

I’m playing SSIV on my iphone online, but I’m getting fudgepacked right now? What do I do? If I face a ryu/ken/akuma they spam fireball and then uppercut when I jump over them, then other characters combo, pressure, and punish me to death. All my attacks get blocked, and I can never get any combos in, what to do now?

You blame your iphone’s touch screen controls, obviously something wrong with it.

It’s actually not impossible, you just have to learn how to hide your input by whiffing certain motions. Vangief does a pretty good job of this, and I believe he has a tutorial on youtube somewhere on how to do it. It’s just extremely difficult to learn how to do. Basically it uses whiffed inputs to prevent Zangief from jumping while you input the 360s. You’re even able to walk slightly forward before you finish the motion to give you better range.

It helps to realize that you don’t need to input a full 360 to get the motion down. It only requires a 270 degree motion.