Computer lock up issues

Hey, all. I don’t know if Preppy and the rest of the crew still frequent this place, but I couldn’t find the old computer help thread and I’m having an issue with my comp. The mother fucker just randomly freezes and I can’t figure out why.

My set up is as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W processor
ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
6 gigs muskin DDR3 1600 RAM
Nvidia GTX480 1536mb PCI express video card
3 Hard drives 5400 rpm
Samsung DVD Burner
Creative Fatality X-Fi Soundcard
620 Watt Corsair modular power supply
Windows 7 Ultimate

So far I’ve cleaned out the entire computer case, made sure there was no dust on ANYTHING, updated all the drivers and I can’t figure out what’s causing it. It happens at complete random times. Sometimes it happens when I’m gaming, sometimes it happens when I’m surfing the net. It’s completely random

I thought it might be the power supply but I called corsair, they did some calculations and at max load, according to Corsair, my system takes 577 watts if everything is at maximum load.

Any suggestions? It’s driving me nuts. I appreciate any help that’s given. Thanks in advance.

Had the same issue with an Asus motherboard in the past, the motherboard’s chipset containing the bios kept overheating. I had it sent in 3 times for repair and each time it would act up again months later. I ended up just replacing the entire motherboard and it fixed the issue since the newer motherboard’s chipset ran cooler.

Never had that happen before except that one time.

If it’s a software issue and your entire PC is truly frozen, try running ccleaner and removing all temporary data and scan the registry while you’re at it. I’ve been running ccleaner forever and my PC’s still running as quick as day 1.

try running memtest86 to see if you have any memory problems. What software do you have installed that runs all the time? I’ve known spybot S&D to cause problems

Try removing your soundcard just out of interest and trying that.

Does it freeze only when you play games or in other times too?

Try this. If you’ve cleaned it out and it still freezes, then you might want to try a reformat/reinstall of the OS. If that doesn’t work, then it’s likely hardware.

If it is hardware, then the best bet would be to try to isolate it by taking bits of hardware out and seeing which one doesn’t cause it to freeze anymore. Off course, if it still does freeze in the most barebone condition (motherboard, CPU and memory, running on onboard video) then it’s likely the motherboard.

Sound driver, graphics driver, etc could also cause issues. Try updating all your hardware by going to the manufacture’s direct website.

It’d be good to get some details on the problem if possible. When it freezes does it just -freeze-? Or does it blue screen? Or does the PC just shut down? Any more detail would be good.

hardware wise it could be:

Video Card overheating
CPU Overheat
bad stick of ram
damage/dying hdd
or something else… lol

I’d say test the memory first using memtest like suggested. If your memory is ok then I’d try replacing/load testing your video card to see if that makes a difference. Make sure you get some programs to check the heat of your cpu and video card as well. for the HDD, I know there is software you can use to test for bad sectors and stuff like that.

Of course it could be a software problem, like a bad driver or something. Honestly, I’d just wipe windows and reinstall from the beginning (if you test all the hardware stuff first).

Personally I’ve dealt with this problem many times for both myself, family, and friends over time, and it’s turned out to be all of the things I’ve listed above at one time or another.

It literally just freezes. No blue screen, nothing. It locks up, and I have to reset it. I’ve done pretty much everything you guys have mentioned. I’ll test the ram tonight. That’s the only thing I haven’t done.

The CPU and everything else aren’t over heating. My CPU under load is at 34C. I’ve got a massive heatsink on it. My videocard is brand new, but I had the freezing problem before the new card was put in on the 9th. All the drivers have been update too. If it’s not the memory, I guess I’ll just reformat. Fuck, I don’t want to do that.

Isn’t there some data migration tool in windows 7 now?

Oh, the only thing I have running constantly is eset nod 32, my razr naga software, and rain meter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try the memory tonight if I have time.

My first guess was the PSU too. What do the rails look like? Ram would be my next guess, memtest and see what you get. Any history of OCing?

Reformating and migrating isnt really all that hard honestly. I just back up everything in the User’s folder and it copies my documents, music, videos, pictures, etc. Reinstalling software is a pain though, but you wont lose anything but just time.

its probably the operating system.

Microsoft Windows is dreadful, you should use linux :slight_smile:

in regards to the linux thing, you can actually run linux on the disc without installing anything(its free too), so if you serf the web with it and it doesnt freeze up you know its software related and not hardware

With his specs that high, he’s obviously using his PC for gaming, and switching to linux isnt going to really do much good but cause more issues.

first thing to do is to check logs to see if anything is logged. this may give a clue to whats wrong.

start>run
type "compmgmt.msc"
go to event viewer and look for red x or a yellow triangle that matches the time when the machine shut down.

report back any findings. if you have multiple logs post all of them.

It may sound dumb and random, but I’ve had problems in the past with cheap SATA cables, making my computer freeze up when trying to access a drive. If you’re using SATA cables that came with your motherboard, they’re probably the cheapest inferior quality cables that Asus could pack into the box. They could also just be a little loose. I’d suggest hitting up newegg.com and getting some decent quality SATA cables, with the little clips on them to hold them in place. I’ve had this problem more than once, and it drove me nuts.