Confessions of a Yun Scrub

yun

I am not new to Street Fighter games, but I am disproportionally bad for the amount of time I have been playing. I have managed only marginal improvement over the course of my play experience in SFIV and SSFIV.

I believe this is because I do not know the proper way to train. Practice does NOT make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect and mine is far far from anything remotely close to perfect!

I also want to be clear in that 99.9% of my play experience is online. I just don’t know anyone near me that has an interest in playing offline. I realize this changes the play experience a bit, but I truly believe my issues and poor play are much deeper and can’t simply be shrugged off with the line “It’s online so it does not matter.”

The issue is also not my “knowledge” of the game. Obviously I need to continue to learn and improve in this area, but I would not call it a major weakness. I am well aware of the fundamental concepts of match ups, chains, links, canceling, punishes, block strings, spacing, zoning, and have a basic to intermediate understanding of the more advanced topics of Option Selects, Frame Traps, P-Linking, and Mix-ups.

I know my weaknesses. I have poor execution at the best of times and its atrocious under pressure. I drop links and combos all the time. My anti-air DP will often get beat out by flowchart Ken jump-ins. I will get punched out of a BnB combo or “Valle” (you know whiffing completely after the FADC or just throwing out an EX DP instead by accident) a game winning Ultra.

So my question to all of you is how do you properly train? How do you break yourself of bad habits? Do you have a training regime that you follow? What are your tips for effectively using the training room? I need to do something different because chain queuing into ranked fights online is getting me nowhere and more likely reinforcing all the terrible things I do.

I am trying to learn Yun, but your advice does not need to be Yun specific. I also enjoying playing Dudley, Ryu, Akuma, and Fei Long. However, I honestly feel I need universal training strategy and tactics over character specifics. Thanks for your help.

Most newbies and mid-tier players really don’t understand why they are losing. Knowing how to play the opponents character is so much, but it’s not everything.

When playing SF you need to be aware of your opponents options always. If he’s holding d/b and he’s rog or honda, why would you jump? You KNOW he wants to headbutt/rushpunch/whatever, don’t give him the option. Recently started teaching a smash pro 2D and he was baffled by everything I kept telling him he had to keep track of.

Having poor execution is rarely the real reason someone loses, if you can’t do the advanced bnb’s do a simpler combo until you get the more advanced ones down. If you are opening yourself up for punishment, that is a mistake in your gameplan that is literally HANDING your opponent the match. When I play online (rarely do I even do that) I normally just opt for something like divekick->cr. MP->dashpunch because I don’t have to worry about it hitting. If I don’t hit to deep I will block (baiting dp) and resign myself to a very late cr. tech but if I get thrown I understood my mistake put me in that shit situation where I felt that was my best option. These are decisions you need to make conciously, that’s how you will up your game. The only way to break a bad habit is to think “NO I"M NOT DOING THIS” right before you do it, I literally talk to my self in my head and say shit like “FUCK DON’T DO IT”. Auto-pilot is what your most likely experiencing and it’s the enemy of progress.

1. Upload couple of your matches to youtubes
  2. Ask SRK forums for advice
  3. ???
  4. Profit!

You, read this :f:You Get Better At The Game By Playing The Game

As much as I agree you generally improve by simply playing, there comes a point where you start getting diminished returns, and then a point where you don’t really get anywhere by playing more. In other words, you don’t know why you’re winning or losing or you don’t know how to get better.

And then there’s the idea that if you have (qualified) people point out your mistakes and help point you in the right direction, your improvement rate would increase dramatically.

For example, the post gives an example that the first people to play and learn SF had to do it by themselves and by simply playing the game. Yeah… how long did that take? Years. Not every casual player wants to spend years just to get good at a game. Not to mention hundreds and possibly thousands of quarters.

Thanks for all the replies. I am not sure how to capture video on my PS3 but if I can figure it out I will try to post a few videos on youtube. I definitely understand the importance of playing. The vast majority of my play time has been doing ranked matches online. One frustrating aspect of this is that you rarely play the same opponent multiple times. You can try to work on things during the current match but your opportunity is very limited in those two or three rounds. Its not like I am playing the same guy over and over again in order to work out exactly how to counter his tactics.

Should I just open a lobby with 2 to 4 spots and hope people hang around so that I can play them a few times? I can see the value of watching other players matches. It simulates the arcade and you can learn from others tactics and adjustments.

I guess what I was originally looking for in the post was some advice or tips on how to use the training room effectively. Does anyone have some drills they use to practice execution? What are some of the basic steps you take when first learning a new character? How do you evaluate your inputs/actions to figure out where your execution or timing is off?

I appreciate your your time and thank you for your help.

Oh and I almost forgot; there are times where playing more could be counter productive. Like if your main source of playing is online, you will most likely adopt online tactics until you go offline and have someone set you straight.

Anyways, yes I’d definitely recommend using endless to learn matchup knowledge etc. instead of ranked. Save ranked for practice on reading opponents on the first round and adaptation skills.

Specific drills depends on what you’re practicing. Though generally what I do is try to break down the combo as much as possible and focus specifically on the part that gives me the most trouble. Whether it be a 1f link, a FADC, or SJC, etc. If it’s just links you’re practicing, you can generally go by this criteria:
Move gets blocked - you did it too late
Move hits/combos - perfecto!
Move does not come out - you did it too early

Mingo, as a Yun Scrub myself, I find it that I can do combos nearly 100% of the time in training mode, but when I go to apply them in matches, I choke somehow (missed link, inputs screwed up, etc). Do you have any advice for applying what we drill in training mode to matches?

My suggestion is to keep grinding combos until you can do them without even thinking about it.

In a real match, you shouldn’t be thinking “I have to land this 1f link!” or “I have to make sure I FADC correctly!”, you should be thinking about what happens after like “ok I knocked him down, time for a crossup” or something.

Lastly, there is of course the adrenaline factor, which you can really only overcome through experience and repetition. Landing a crucial dp FADC ultra becomes a lot less stressful after you’ve done it 1000 times in the same tense situation.

If you play online do endless battle, create a lobby for 2 and try to get as many games as possible with one player, preferably one that is better than you. And the entire time you play, try and figure them out- figure out their options and their tendencies. These are good habits to pick up. Ranked matches are pretty worthless

I think I am going to call it quits on the ranked matches. Like you say they are not proving very useful for improving my game. Here’s to Endless Battles and hopefully leveling up a bit from scrub to mediocre!!

MingoDynasty, what do you use to capture video on your PS3?

EasyCap: http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-DC60-Creator-Capture-High-quality/dp/B002H3BSCM

Wow, can i do that. sounds like a great idea, i live in the U.K and it’s full of shitty shoto scrubs so my experience against other characters is no where near what it should be…

That’s completely subjective. It’s entirely possible to get better at the game without it taking years or having to have qualified people point out your mistakes.

How much better are we talking? From never playing a competitive game to be being better than Daigo? Or from placing high at local tournaments to placing top 8 at Evo?

How else then do you learn from your mistakes?

You lose vs flowcharter obviously because you care too much about winning vs them and they don’t care at all.
You end up losing your composure and drop everything.

Plus forget about becoming Daigo and focus about how to improve yourself. I`m pretty sure any top player have leveled up . Okay maybe not Justin Wong but well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: .

In my case I just dropped everything and focused completely on combos. Until I get down all the most important ones I won’t even bother playing seriously online. Just dive kick-combo, dive kick-combo, until I get the timing for doing it solidly online.
Then I will start worrying about actually playing.

If you play more you will win more. Nothing more nothing less.

you could just be inherently untalented at street fighter