Cool thread bro 2

ibuki

Updated: 6-18-2010
Updated again: 4-27-2011 (happy 1st anniversary SSF4!)

Frame Traps:
CoosCoos:
I’ve been messing around with far st. lp, cr. mk(2 frame gap) vs. characters with medium to big sized hit boxes.* (Isn’t this supposed to be a 3 frame gap? Not sure.)*

Dime_x:
1 and 2 frame gaps almost always get blocked even when the opponent is mashing crouchtechs… they literally have to be mashing HELLA fast in order to be hit by a 1 frame gap.

blocked close st.mp (slight pause) cr.mp is a pretty good frame trap in my experience as a st.mp can be followed by a throw as well.

if the st.mp hits you can continue to combo with far lp> st,mk xx whatever.

EkusuKariba:
s.mp is +2 on block and +6 on hit.
fs.lp is +4 on block and +8 on hit.

bouth are nice to use for frame traps :slight_smile:

Vesper Arcade:
mk.tsumuji (+4 on hit) , st.MK (6 frame startup). 3-frame frame trap on hit.

Walnut Shrimp:
Also on most characters close range Cr. LK easily links into TC 6 (but on a few characters, it’s unsafe if they crouch block because MP will whiff). This works on crouching Sakura and will stand her up. It’s important to only do 1-hit MP because the 2nd hit will whiff if she crouch blocks. You can cancel the MP into LK Tsumuji and still link St. LP. So Cr. LK > Cl. LP xx MP (1-hit) xx LK Tsumuji > Far LP > Far MK xx MK Tsumuji is safe to try if you get in that close during footsies. Cr. LK > Cl. LP is a 2-frame frame trap on block. No one can jab out of this.

Option Selects:
JiBbo:
Option select vs balrog [media=youtube]BD3H6DxwcHY[/media]

Orikasa:
Well there’s apparently 3 different neckbreaker OS’ right now.

From a jump-in (j.LK); catches backdash
[media=youtube]CdOuMNwfU0Y[/media]

Pressuring on wake-up with cr.LP; catches backdash
[media=youtube]7HC7v…eature=related[/media]

^Not sure how viable this is against characters with good backdashes like Chun. I’m afraid Ibuki’s cr.MP might reset Chun in the air from her backdash.

On Sagat; backthrow -> super jump in with j.HP and OS raida; safe jump:
[media=youtube]x3dBhYTO5W0[/media]

Walnut Shrimp:
Option select vs Bison:

Knockdown with Neckbreaker
Jump toward (Or HK Command Dash x 2)
Meaty Cr. MP xx MK Tsumuji
Option Select HP Neckbreaker

What happens:

Bison is crossed up removing EX Psycho Crusher and EX Knee Press options.
If Bison EX Headstomps, Ibuki Neckbreakers to safety.
If Bison Teleports he gets Neckbreakered.
If Bison Jumps he gets hit with Meaty Cr. MP xx MK Tsumuji.
If Bison Blocks he blocks Meaty Cr. MP xx MK Tsumuji.
If Bison Ultra II, Ibuki freezes in Cr. MP animation. Block Ultra II as a crossup and punish.
If Bison EX DR toward Neckbreaker, Bison will be crossed up by whiffed neckbreaker and will land vulnerable next to Ibuki who recovers first.
If Bison EX DR away from Neckbreaker, Bison ends up full screen away.

About Teleporting behind Ibuki… The recording might be auto-correcting my directions. Worst-case scenario is Ibuki does Raida instead of Neckbreaker. I tested the same set-up with OS Raida instead of Neckbreaker and it grabbed Bison out of his teleport recovery.

Shira:
Ok so after quite some time in the lab…

Update to Akuma OS:

Neckbreaker -> s.mk -> j.hp -> OS lk cd -> (reaction) EX neckbreaker

Lk cd because it recovers faster, and allows you to punish teleports if you can react with EX neckbreaker. With this, Akuma can only block now unless you have no meter. Oh and j.hp because of damage and all that, as Mingo said. Shout-outs to efficiency ;D

As far as Ryu and Fei go, I couldn’t find anything useful. I found ways to make them miss their dp’s, but there were too many cons instead of pros.

However, against Cammy, she becomes free on wakeup with the Akuma OS modified with an OS sweep instead of lk cd. This is because her only escape from the jump in is forward or back dash, and they both get stuffed by the sweep.

So if you want to try your luck with the OS instead of vortex on Cammy, there are no downsides to it. And hey, it’s bound to work at least once, and will also train the Cammy not to dp after neckbreaker, possibly allowing for more mixups.

A decent frame trap would have to leave a 1 or 2 frame gap. After a lk.tsumuji you are at -4 on block. If you do a S.Mk it has a 6 frame startup. So that is 10 frame gap if I understand correctly. Even if you do a Mk Tsumuji which leaves you at 0 on block that would still be a 6 frame gap. Maybe it just seems tight online. There is def space in there to not make it a good enough frame trap. Hmm i’ll see if I can figure something out.

^ I meant lk.tsumuji on hit (+3), then st.MK.

Nevermind, I am not reading what you are saying. Mk tsumuji is +4 on hit that will beat Balrog mashing crouching jab just tested it.

lk tsumuji is +3. So I suggest using mk tsumuji instead. Anything that we can combo off a counter hit S.mk

It’s not really a frame trap if it’s after a hit. Most moves give good frames on hit so that’s a given. Only thing I can think of off the bat is her f.mk gives good frames on block so you can f.lk > lk. Tsumuji or c.lp for more shit.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the neckbreaker option select is just j. HP, and buffer a neckbreaker. If the j. HP hits, nothing happens, if it whiffs(because your opponent teleports), the neckbreaker comes out and catches your opponent in his recovery frames.

s.mp is +2 on block and +6 on hit.
fs.lp is +4 on block and +8 on hit.

bouth are nice to use for frame traps :slight_smile:

Both of them have cruddy range though. And if you get them with fs.lp then ur generally gonna followup with a st.mk anyway.

c.lp, c.lp, s.lp, s.mk xx mk tsumuji

s.lp is +4 on block, s.mk is 6 frame startup. 2 frames to mash out a jab and get counterhit.

didn’t momochi use that fierce option-select in the corner against blanka?

Only problem is s.LP doesn’t work on alot of crouching opponents which the majority of your frame traps are going to be against.

in my testing with chuns famous nemo trap… i found that the best gap for trapping is between 7-10 frame gap.

only if your opponent doesnt know when the gap will be.

1 and 2 frame gaps almost always get blocked even when the opponent is mashing crouchtechs… they literally have to be mashing HELLA fast in order to be hit by a 1 frame gap.

blocked close st.mp (slight pause) cr.mp is a pretty good frame trap in my experience as a st.mp can be followed by a throw as well.

if the st.mp hits you can continue to combo with far lp> st,mk xx whatever.

-dime

That’s true, but I don’t really see it as a problem. It’s a really good string against characters it hits. +4 is the best frame advantage you can get off a normal, without a meaty attack. It’s even enough to have the s.lp blocked, walk forward a bit and throw another one.

At the same time, the crouching characters who s.LP does not whiff on are most likely going to have command grabs which screw up frame traps.

If you can get it to work then that is great, but I think ultimately you need some more versatile frame traps.

what is the neckbreaker option select and when should i apply it during a match?

Well there’s apparently 3 different neckbreaker OS’ right now.

From a jump-in (j.LK); catches backdash
[media=youtube]CdOuMNwfU0Y"[/media]

Pressuring on wake-up with cr.LP; catches backdash
[media=youtube]7HC7vYOS0Wc&feature=related"[/media]

^Not sure how viable this is against characters with good backdashes like Chun. I’m afraid Ibuki’s cr.MP might reset Chun in the air from her backdash.

On Sagat; backthrow -> super jump in with j.HP and OS raida; safe jump:
[media=youtube]x3dBhYTO5W0"[/media]

I’ve been messing around with far st. lp, cr. mk(2 frame gap) vs. characters with medium to big sized hit boxes.

I’ve had some good success with it. The reason that I’ve been messing with it is because on if you score a counter hit from the cr. mk, you can easily link a far st. lp and finish your combo from that just like you could if you did a meaty cr. mk. This excels vs. big characters, but it can reasonably work vs. medium sized characters.

I know I could use st. mk too, but just throwing it out there since I’m not sure a lot of people knew that you could link a far st. lp from a counter hit/meaty cr. mk.

IIRC TC4 blocked can lead to some cool frame traps since it’s plus on block. There was like one or two more TCs that were plus on block too.

I don’t know if this would work quite well but yeah, give it a go.

Starter (TC, s.MK, cr.LK, etc)-> LK Tsumuji -> EX Kazekiri // if blocked LP Kunai -> s.MK -> ANY Tsumuji/NB (LK Tsumuji -> EX Kazekiri for another pressure loop)

It’s possible to link the s.MK from LP Kunai. I think you can also get EX reversal’d after the EX Kazekiri.

^ Seems alright, but it’d have to be used very very sparingly. People will probably start wising up and FA the kunai if they block the EX kazegiri.

Hmm, another useful trap at far range to close gaps may be the TC: b+MK, f+MK. It moves you closer by holding forward and allows you to follow up with TC4: LP MP HP xx ANY.