"Critique My Akuma!" Video Blog Thread

What is your usual vortex pressure say against Cammy? What is it you are doing to her that makes those set of options so superior to ones against DeeJay?

No crossup tatsu against Cammy then?

It’s a consequence of the fact that zoning is the most difficult thing for DeeJay to deal with.

In any matchup you want to apply the strongest strategies.

I don’t have an issue with Cammy or Sagat, I just figure that if you have issues with DeeJay you might have issues with these as the setups require manual timing and they get waaayy more punish if you fuck up your pressure than DeeJay does.

I just got back from a 65 man tournament in Seattle where I just waxed a DJ player to make top 16. You can vortex him quite well. You just have to know your options.

Um I thought we were clear on this, we can pretty much divekick them with ease and stuff their reversal, forcing them to stay put and gain momentum. You don’t do that against DeeJay. Maybe it’s no biggie for you guys, but it helps quite a bit here.

Also, the fact that they wake up slower and that I’m not forced to rely on very strict safejump helps: I might screw the safejump and make it whiff, but it’d still be safe. If I mess up against DeeJay I’m more likely to get hit. That’s a plus to me.

I never said that lol, you’d end up neglecting options. I also found DeeJay’s reversal to autocorrect pretty good, whereas I find it easier to stuff Cammy’s uppercut.

Aww Shin, if you could vortex him like, dunno, Gouken, you wouldn’t just zone him out. We can’t, thus we zone him (pretty good, too).

I get what you mean, and yeah, being a low tier player as me it does hurt more against say Cammy or Sagat, it’s not good to lose 50 % health off a reversal lol.

But assuming you can time your stuff, you should have an easier time against slower reversal chars…

What are our options then? Do we have anything besides those safejump setups we mentioned?

You can divekick Cammy with ease? Really?

Have you ever played a Cammy who could do a delayed spike?

The DeeJay safe jump is very easy. I’m not sure how you could mess it up.

I suppose so, but x-up tatsu is just as poor against a Cammy who won’t block as it is a DeeJay who won’t block.

If your opponent is unwilling to block your unsafe vortex options are going to be pretty ass.

You’re stuffing a spike with x-up tatsu?

I guess I would but if we could do that then vortex would be the best option. The reverse is also true. We vortex Gouken because he is impossible to zone.

I don’t have a problem timing stuff and hence I don’t have a problem with DeeJay.

I would rather fight DeeJay than Cammy…

Yeah I wanna know how dude can stuff Cammy’s DP with dive kicks consistently, if at all. >_>

I can see what dr4gz0r is getting at because I too have so much trouble vortexing Dee Jay (good DJ players, mind you). It’s their damned up kicks (all versions) that seem to auto-correct so easily that it’s not even funny: you get stuffed no matter what you try, so you’re forced to rely on zoning, which, BTW, good Dee Jay players can blow up by doing EX Sobat from just past mid screen and still tag you on FB recovery. And yes, I’ve tried to be ambiguous about projectile timing but that move’s a really good deterrent against chucking plasma if they’re NOT a full screen away.

Of course, it could all be because I’m still a scrub. But I feel this matchup is more akin to Bison than Cammy or Sagat in that safe jumps O/S knowledge yields better results than the Vortex.

And, umh… Yeah… Stuffing Cammy’s DP with divekicks??

Can you please elaborate on your vortex options against Dee Jay? Thanks in advance.

sup, just started playing ssf4 ae a while ago, i am still at scrub level, transitioning from a pad to a stick too. also i never played 3rd strike, so i dont know ao to escape trows, ao do escape or refuse a trow?

It works decently against her, it doesn’t work at all against DeeJay. That’s all I need to know.

And yeah, that too. You just don’t have to divekick 100 % of the time (you know better than me), just to say.

It’s tighter then safejumping Cammy man. I’m not saying it’s impossible or something, I did it yesterday 100 % of the time against Yun in about 20 matches - and if I can manage that…

Btw what’s his wakeup speed? Should be either 1 or 2f the time for the D+MK.

I dunno, maybe it’s just me who gets hit easier by DeeJay than Cammy during Tatsu crossup…

This remind me of Makoto btw. I just don’t do x-up tatsu anymore against her till I get some free time to see if it’s really possible to use it against Mak - seems to get beaten badly by her new fukiage…

Not reliably, at times not at all if it’s what you’re asking (not that I worked on it either). Wait a second, does this happen only to me? What the hell…

Still better then getting stuffed every time by the evil upkicks… :stuck_out_tongue:

This just gave me a headache lol.

2 more replays of mine. Please comment.

Against DJ you have to use more of a reverse safe jump. You start by establishing your empty jump mix ups and attempt to set up your regular jump ins. You’ll see Tokido using a lot of these actually because they tend to be great against opponents who love to block. Also when Deejay is out of meter you can use your normal vortex. You can also use dive kicks if he is really reversal happy.

Once you establish that you opponent is starting to react to the empty jumps, then you can start mixing in your regular “safe” jumps. If you show you are willing to empty jump then a lot of players won’t reversal so if you do a really late attack after jumping. If your timing is good then your opponent can’t tell the difference between the two so he is stuck just blocking.

I’m a bit lost in this matchup.
Anyone care to help?

Bison and Dudley are the other matchups i really have trouble with. Here is a game with a bison and dudley. I need to know what to do in both matchups when under pressure because i tend to eat a lot of shit while trying to escape.

That Dudley wasn’t very good… Always focusing when he was within sweep range. It was so predictable. If he would’ve played against me, I would’ve Ultra’d his butt so many times for doing it! Against a better Dudley, you would’ve gotten punished for all those careless st. HK you threw (though I am guilty of doing the same many times!). I did like your match against the Bison player though. Again, the only thing I can say for sure that I saw wrong in most rounds is that you don’t AA enough.

I know how hard it is sometimes to judge the right distance and not want to let go a careless SRK that would leave you hanging for a juicy punish from your opponent, but that’s why I use cr. HP more often. Especially when my opponents like to use ambiguous cross-ups since the cr. HP gets those easily while an SRK may whiff…

(Not sure how to do hotlinking. tried [me dia=youtu be]Zn7lWp1-dXs[/me dia] without the spaces, and it showed up blank.)

Here’s the first video of my Akuma. I’m new to Street Fighter, but not fighting games. This is partly a quality test, but I told myself today that no matter who the first good player I played was, I’d upload it. So here’s a match against Chris Hu’s Oni.

My own comments on the match:

I need to not try to put wake up pressure on Oni via jumping so much. I play a little Oni and his big DP can grab you out of the air easily even if you’re right over the top of his head, autocorrect or not. I kept doing it because he seemed afraid to do anything about it.

I don’t know why I missed that free punish in the first round. Either I thought he was a little closer and c.MKxxHK tatsu would connect, or I just cracked and wasn’t ready to walk up and do a real punish. There were no lag problems, so no excuses. Later in the round he messes up a FADC into ultra, but that’s because he didn’t do the right input. You should do FADC >> dash >> QCB QCF 3P; Oni crosses under his opponent for a split second so QCFx2 doesn’t work 90% of the time.

I’m pretty glad I had the presence of mind to hit the other direction to get ultra demon to come out when he tatsus over my c.MK. :smiley:

Rip into me, other than the dropped combos (very rare for me, I must’ve been intimidated by the name, I haven’t played many big names in SF! I’m free to fame D: )

1.@0:40 After you got the counter hit sweep you do a Df.palm to a Cr.jab Cr.jab then you go for a grab at this range you are to far that’s why his jab hit you. learn how Kara grab with St.hp to get more range.
2. i notice you throw alot of Cr.forward either buffer Dp while your Cr.med kick is active to catch jump ins or buffer demon if you have revenge meter. always make it a habit to buffer demon when you do Cr.forward or Cr.roundhouse comes in handy if they focus then u can demon them.
3.@1:10 you dash n do a back throw you immediately do a Lk.Df kick it whiffs and he punishes with just a throw, if it was some one else he could of punished you harder. what i do after a Back throw i personally go for forward throw but if i get a back throw i go for Lk.Df grab or Os jab,sweep,jab.
4.@1:17 missed ex dp punish you gotta be on those.
5.@1:21 nice Cr.forward under air tatsu but again you go for a back throw do a forward throw more mix up options.
6.@1:30 you dp fadc n miss Red Fireball (Shakunetsu Hadouken)
7.@1:52 you do a Hk.Df palm wiff and you immediately go for a jab but you got beat out because he knew what you were doing right away.
8.@2:00 nice block string but try to delay Cr.strong a lil longer to get counter hit.
9.@2:40 you get the demon but just walk back n forth? what i like to do is whiff a Cr.strong then immediately do a Tk air fireball or Lk.Df Grab.
10.Throughout your match but @2:44 you walk forward and do St. roundhouse he punished you and killed you! when akuma walks forward usually that’s a clear indicator hes going to do St.roundhouse and he was right. he blocked and punished you it cost you the round. what i like to do is walk forward n whiff St.Lk makes em think twice.
11.@3:00 you do a Hk.Df kick and get punished for it remember your playing a character that has the second lowest hp in the game you want to take risk that will be in your benefit.
overall the final round was better but you missed afew jump in’s and @3:40 you got a Df.palm knock down but went for Crossup tatsu too late he was doing onis groundpound thats why you couldn’t sweep him after. heres two vids you should watch to get a better idea on how to properly play him better but overall you did decent against a very good player.
1.the vortex game [media=youtube]vNUh919NH6Y[/media]
2.how to do Tk airfireballs [media=youtube]QUK3fSke4JQ[/media]

Thanks for all the input, I didn’t even know Akuma had a kara throw. I know LK demon flip after bthrow sucks, it never works for me, but I can’t seem to break myself of it, it seems so intuitive -_-

You’re right, I haven’t really even thought of the impact of using s.HK against crouching opponents, and how bad I can screw myself with that.

My fundamentals are strong from other games, but everything you listed really highlights how badly I need to work on specific Akuma stuff and stop coasting. I appreciate it.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: but i forgot to mention st.Roundhouse against specific characters that whiff after the first hit can work in your advantage, as soon as your second roundhouse starts up most players are ready to punish you. in the mean time you are buffering demon during s.Roundhouse animation. this is very risky but i can tell you from experience this has worked for me online at the arcade even at tournaments.
take this match for example from Evo 2k10 Infiltration vs Shizza @4:30 [media=youtube]MYUYyFzUUDQ[/media]

omg Infiltration… just teleport…

Damn Im sorry I just drop by to see what Akuma players are speaking and lo an behold I find u saying some stupid crap like u can vortex DJ…u cant BUT…the thing u can do if the DJ player is not grabbing u on wake up is to bait with safe DFpalm or play FB games intill every DJ does u focus the first FB DJ does, then the noob DJ slides then u focus the slide into demon or punish it w/sweep or what hav u… thats is what I do, and DP his jump ins its pretty straight forward…u may hav vortex-ed a shi**ty DJ that does not know his options stay free Sol