Crossover Mac - has anyone used it?

So I want to play CVS2 and I just got the Naimo NullDC, but from what I gather it takes a bit to emulate the games properly. My PC is weak, I am going to install it on there to test it out and see what the results are but I was wondering if anyone had tried using Crossover Mac, a program that allows OSX to run Windows apps without running bootcamp.

I have a Mac Book Pro with a good video card, ram, and processor, so I figured if this program worked I could just use my MBP to play the game.

Any help would be appreciated.

I’ve used it, its slow and half the time it doesnt work, and it has crappy compatability. I suggest using the bootcamp method if you want to play some games on your mac, thats what I do. Runs just like any other windows XP PC.

thanks.

I don’t entirely agree. I’ve had good experiences with it…

just seems like taking to long way around china.

you’re emulating a system thats emulating another system

It is the long way around, but the other way is pretty long as well especially if my PC is too weak to run it and I don’t want to partition my harddrive and set up bootcamp with a legal version of XP. But I am going to give it a try anyways. I’ll post my results.

That’s just plain not true. Crossover Office using wine. Wine is a re-implementation of win32 on unix - and it is also a (recursive) acronym:

W ine
I s
N ot
(an)
E mulator

The code runs 100% native, and in fact should run a touch faster than on basecamp.

hah awesome… I stand corrected

thanks numb :tup:

If you need a hand, let me know - in fact I wouldn’t mind getting this up and going on my mac either. :wink:

I’m having a hard time finding the Dreamcast version of nullDC 1.3. Looks like I grabbed the Naomi one, and I don’t have any Naomi roms. :stuck_out_tongue:

So - the reason it didn’t want to load for you is that you need to put a couple of .dll files in the same directory as nullDC:

msvcp80.dll
msvcr80.dll

Fires up like a charm after that. It does complain about not being able to locate a specific plugin, but other than that it looks fine - although I can’t load up any games. :slight_smile: A link to the right version of nullDC and/or a link to a Naomi rom that I could test with would be helpful.

(Note - not all Naomi roms are illegal)

Links at the bottom for any files you’re missing. :slight_smile:

Have you tried Parallels? I know very little about it but I hear good things…

parallels has you running Windows and MacOS at the same time. This will be faster than that. It’s convenient if you just MUST be running a bunch of Windows apps at the same time as your Mac apps, but for nullDC, wine should perform better.

I just ran Capcom vs SNK Pro full speed, so long as I used the null audio plugin. With audio, it runs about half speed for me, but I’m only on an Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz.

I’m going to set this up maybe tonight or tomorrow, and see if I can figure it out. I tried on my PC but it keeps giving me an Error message, saying “this game is not acceptable by main board”. I have an intel Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz in my Macbook Pro, so maybe mine will run with audio.

Intel garbage integrated video is going to give you problems too if that is what you are stuck with.

Intel GMA 950 here, shares 64MB of System Memory. (Mac Mini)

Evillink pm’ed me saying he was having trouble. The steps, as I understand them, to get this running are:

Create a wine bottle, set the Windows version to 2000 (XP might be fine too).

Extract nullDC. Make sure you put the dreamcast bios (dc_boot.bin and dc_flash.bin) in the data/ folder.

Copy msvcr80.dll and mscvp80.dll into the same directory as nullDC_1.0.3._*mmu.exe

In CrossOver, go to “Run Command”, select your bottle, and choose nullDC_1.0.3_nommu.exe

The first time you launch it, things will take a LOOOONG time go get going. That’s fine. To launch a game, go to File, RunHLE (High Level Emulation, run fast - at the expense of some hardware emulation accuracy). Choose your disk image, and that should be it.

Where did you get these two files?

msvcr80.dll and mscvp80.dll

Umm…