Custom ball Tops? Discuss here

I am migrating the discussion over here to avoid grief and leave drama in the past

Opinions/ ideas mentioned

• Sanding and Painting
    Plenty of Info here - How to: Hand Paint Your Balltops

• Sand Blasting

• lathe/ milling derlin (or other plastic), metal, wood

• 3D Printing

• Custom Plastic Molds
    Make your own

• Repurposing items, drawer handle pulls, Pez dispenser heads, ect

ect…

There is also this

Looking for Matte/textured ball tops & button tops
Info Thread: Rules, FAQs and Tutorials Inside. (READ THIS BEFORE HITTING THAT NEW THREAD BUTTON!)

I also want to point out that a custom order from a major Arcade parts manufacturer is not feasible for a single stick.
Sanwa, Seimitsu, Happ, ect would need a order in the thousands or a continuing sales agreement.

I also would imagine it take someone with a good working relationship with said Manufacture.
So please don’t think any joe-smoe can just put in a custom order for 100 Ball Tops at Sanwa.

Has anyone used any molding stuffs from a craft store? Ones where you make a mold and then pour in an epoxy or something similar?

I found this

Purplearms makes his own custom bat top for LED lighting.

And someone makes a bat top from a old Chair leg

Slick! I am going to have to try that some day. I simply don’t have the time now, but maybe I will start making a few custom ones. I’m not quite sure what kind to make yet.

I remember the chair leg bat top. Was a nice project and well done.

I decided to do a google image search on door handle pulls

Tell me with some minor hacking these would not be some awesome ball tops

http://www.seasonalhomedecoration.com/images/megna-glass-cabinet-doorknob.jpg

Speaking of this; though it wasn’t exactly a “ball” top, I do recall d3v making a Hulk fist “ball” top with a 3D printer. Idk how well it held up after usage though (assuming he’s used it which I’m sure he has at this point; I remember seeing that post months ago lol)

Sanwa showed off a prototype of a clear bat top at Evo 2014. Shown here next to the long shaft JLF on the left and “high resistance” JLF on the right.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/gumbyslide/IMG_9716.jpg

b15 made this ball top

http://buzzaurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SteamPut.jpg

It was to a steampunk themed stick.

This would be the technique I would try for a matte, textured balltop. Adhesion promoter and bumper coating.

I’ve always wanted to try water transferred graphics on arcade parts.

MyDipKit Wood Grain Graphics

How Stuff Works style video:

Arm Dip

Those dips look awesome. I guess you could always mod a shift knob or something to work on one

Probably been done with the small chrome skulls not sure about bubble shifters though.

With a slightly different angle that pic would be lol worthy innuendo wise.

Are the female ends of the shafts available for purchase? Pr would i just seat an approproate sized nut in something?

This thread’s got me wondering what I could put em in.

Many shift knobs are 10mm. This means you could use them on10mm or any 6mm joystick shaft in conjunction with a 10mm to 6mm adapter. Some are universal and use a set screw to hold the knob on. Not sure how comfortable I would be with that.

These caught my eye:

Automatic shift knob for a Mazda Miata is failure of epic proportions.

couple it with the cerulean bubble shifter pictured above. :wink:

Perfect. Double KO.

Some nice stuff here. Another thing to consider is vinyl wraps. Probably wouldn’t be easy to wrap a ball top but I’m sure with practice you could get something really nice, and it would last quite a bit as the vinyl wouldn’t wear or chip off. If it peeled, you could apply more. Vinyl sheets are pretty cheap.

I have this handle-knob from an umbrella that my wife bought in Tokyo when we were there in 2008. The umbrella itself crapped out about a year ago.
It’s a pretty dumb-looking cartoony duck’s head, but size-wise, it’s actually quite nice. I saved the handle before chucking the broken umbrella to mess around with and turn it into a weirdo ball-top.

It’s like this, but I have a yellow one:

It already has a threaded hole, but the thread is very large (as you can kinda see since the entire thing is semi-transluscent), so I’ll have to figure something out there.

Make a jig to hold a 10mm to 6mm thread adapter in the middle of the the current threads and use epoxy to fill the space.

tried to post a comment but it had a link. EP-200 epoxy putty is really good and cheap you knead it with your hands. Way better than wood filler / as seen on TV stuff.