Dasrik's blog now talks about Street Fighter

http://dasrik.blogspot.com

I realized that I have things to say about, not just SF, but competitive gaming in general. Okay, SF and Yu-Gi-Oh. But there’s some overlap in attitudes in the community, and I didn’t really have any other place to vent than, well, my blog.

So I started writing on it, and will probably be writing at least every week, although I will probably have something new tomorrow. Current topic is about saying “good game” after every duel/match and why it sucks and you’re a terrible person for doing it.

Anyhoo, thought some people might be interested, so yeah.

yeah, i say it when it may be necessary, or i feel like it, which is not a lot, but i hate hearing, good games, or good shit after every match. i dont know where that shit comes from

edit: read it. word up. sometimes, i just dont get that whole, shake my hand shit. get the fuck on, you lost. if it was a solid match. word up. if you got raped. bleh

Darsrik has a blog? lol

Might have to check this out

I agree with that. Unless I rape the guy hella bad and then it’s more like a “GG LOL” :rofl:

Only if it’s a GG will I say GG and mean it. If the loser says “gg” to me I don’t normally know what to say, I mean if you’re losing to me you’re losing to turtle tactics in every game with every character. Most people are more pissed when I beat them than if somebody with flashy combos does.

GG :wgrin:

Even if the match was boring to the superior player, the loser may have found it exciting to fight someone strong and learned a lot. In that case, a “good game” from the loser is fully understandable.

But I agree that it should not become something you just say to be polite. It should be reserved for games you enjoyed.

In all seriousness though, I’m not sure if I agree with you!

In all the sports I played growing up–both team and individual–saying good game and/or shaking hands or doing something of the sort was just something you always did, and that sort of stuck with me. It’s supposed to be about more than politeness or manners or formality; it’s supposed to be a show of good sportsmanship. Even if you don’t mean it at first, I think the repetition can inadvertently teach you good sportsmanship. It’s kind of like nurturing a good attitude in yourself.

I’d agree that it shouldn’t be a hollow or robotic thing, shouldn’t be tossed around lightly, shouldn’t be said if you don’t mean it. I think it’s stupid when people use it sarcastically… I know a lot of temper-prone players do this in first-person shooters and probably other games. Pretty dumb and wussiful, if you ask me!

I nearly always say GG, or something similar, but it’s because I feel like I usually have a reason for it.

• If the games were close, they were definitely good games to me. Of course they should be; that’s where fighting games really shine.

• If some really neat stuff happened, that’s pretty cool too. If the guy was just really nice and it was a lot of fun, those are good games for sure.

• If I’m playing someone who totally outclasses me, not only is it an honour, it’s a huge opportunity for learning. To me, that’s a good game. Sometimes I’ll just thank them for taking the time out to play with me instead of saying GG’s.

• When I’m playing someone I’m consistently and handily beating, if I see the guy thinking and trying to figure me out and get better, that’s really cool of him. Hopefully he’s having a good time, and hopefully he’s learning something from it. I’ll tell him GG’s just because I’m happy to see him playing hard and trying to come up. Everyone starts out as a beginner, and if I’m not careful maybe he’ll tear me apart sometime down the road. Even if they don’t offer the same accelerated learning you can get against a very strong player, I think you’re fooling yourself that there’s nothing you can learn from them. And you’re not obligated in any way to keep it up for very long.

• Heck, regardless of whether I’m winning or losing, even if the person I’m playing against has a terrible attitude and is all shit-talk, I’ll still tell them GG’s and I’ll tell them with a smile. Nine out of ten times it turns their sour mood into fiery anger that I thought we were having a good time. I like to think I’m generally a nice person but the success of this rage-bait always delights me to no end.

Remember, you’re not writing them a card telling them those matches were the single greatest experience of your life. You’re just telling them you’re glad you played those matches, and honestly when you really like versus fighting games this should probably follow suit or maybe this genre or that title just isn’t for you! If the other guy really didn’t have a good time, that’s too bad and I might even tell him I’m sorry that he didn’t, especially because I did. The way I see it, if you didn’t get a good experience out of the game, in a way that’s your own fault.

Ah well, nothing but respect for you Dasrik. :smile:

Hmm, the viewpoints shared here are interesting. I read Dasrik’s post on his blog and I can see where he’s coming from, and at the same time I like where deadfrog is coming from.

I do think when you say “GG”, you should genuinely mean you got something out of it or something. I mean, if I fight a inexperienced player who really tried his best, did some stuff above and beyond what his skill level would normally suggest, than yeah. At that same token if an experienced player does stuff like turtling, something that made the experience a chore (such as doing something to annoy you but not necessarily being skillful at it) than hell no. I love challenges but at the same time I want that challenge to be fun.

An example is my friend Ka who plays me in various fighting games, particularly we’ve been focusing on Marvel lately. He picks so-so, blocks, calls AAAs 24/7 and throws out stuff every once in awhile. And its tedious, because I know I’m going win but I have to slow down since he calls his AAA so much or I risk eating counter damage from being overly aggressive. And I know, from how long he’s played Fighters he can do better than this. Not to mention its boring to watch. To me, that’s not a good game.

A good game is against other people, like my friend Dark Horse in Marvel where I’m struggling against his Sentinel and finding ways past Sent’s Projectile assist and getting over tron to attack. Where matches commonly leave us down to two people with our life nearly gone; we’re excited, pressed and in the zone. That’s a good game.

Finally, I wouldn’t say GG to a person if it wasn’t; not only are you not being honest with yourself, you’re doing a disservice to the other person.

However, I highly disagree with Darsik’s action of just “Walking away and saying nothing”. Unless the dude is Dark Prince or something like that there’s no need to be a dickhead over a videogame.

“GG” has always been a way of saying “thanks for playing”, to me. All it is. And usually, I’m thankful for my opponent’s time.

I don’t say Good Games if it wasn’t a good game but a hand shake is something of a sign of respect between the two. I shake hands because I’m happy you spent the time to play with me because without the other guy there’s no reason to play. While there may not always be a good reason to say Good Games there is absolutely no reason to ever refuse a hand offered. He’s trying to be respectful and thank you for your valuable time. Even if you are just dicking around at the arcade or whatever it’s your time and it’s valuable. I’m always pretty thrilled when other people are willing to spend their free time with me in a video game but that MIGHT be a side effect of having a small pool of players but even still.

Now of course things change when shit talking is going on. Sometimes winning and walking off is a lot better then any words that can be traded or whatever but that’s an entirely different situation then you’re talking about and i know your smart enough to know that.

I 100% agree with Deadfrog’s post. I love the game too much to simply walk away from someone that’s trying to enjoy it as much as me.

I guess what it all comes down to is the intentions behind the “Good game.” I always check my tone and body language because every time I say good game, I want my opponent to know that I mean it, win or lose.

Dasrik how does it feel to think like Emil?

The problem I have with saying “GG” is that I have an innate sense of seeing through false modesty. I’ve been playing games too long to not recognize the difference between someone who says “GG” and means it, and someone who’s smiling in your face while in their mind searches for something they can take from you so they can become a “top player”. It’s annoying because they never stop for a second to think about what they’d DO if and when they ever reached their goal of being “top player”. “Yeah I’m a top player, now I’ll cure cancer!” Sure, kid.

But if I’m playing someone good, “good game” will be shared with meaning. I guess, to share an RL example, I play a lot against khaotic_one at James Games. He handily kicks my ass at Marvel, and I don’t know if I’ll ever get to the point where I can say I can beat him. I kinda don’t know if I want to, either, because I’m having fun playing him the way it is.

The problem is when spectators get in the way. The last time I played khaotic, I had Mike Chaos and some guy who knew my sister riding my ass the whole time, and it didn’t really feel fun anymore. I kinda feel sometimes like that kid in Little League who’s having fun until some jackass says “strike the bum out”, and then all of a sudden it becomes about proving something.

I don’t have shit to prove to anyone. I am what I am, and that’s all I’m ever gonna be. If I improve in fighting game, it means I’m expressing myself better, not aping some other “top player”.

And on that note…

The next time you speak my name in the same breath as Emil’s, I’ll break your face.

I agree with you, but yet disagree with you in a way on this Dasrik. I believe “Good Game” (the full two words, not just GG) is important to have some type of sportsmanship in the scene. It should be a friendly game that people play because they enjoy it. I think this type of friendliness and sportsmanship is important to keeping the scene going, to people feel good enough to come back.

However, I do agree with you though that when “GG” is used without meaning, and with almost a mocking tone, then it’s a problem. To me, it’s all about the context of how a player expresses it.

Don’t you think you’re being a bit critical here? Do you never analyze your mistakes while playing? Never see something from the other guy a flaw you might be able to exploit next time? I bet you that marvel player would be thrilled if you got better. I dunno Dasrik sounds like you are annoyed aothers try to better their game?

Friendly banter an all.

I’m kind of not sure what you’re trying to say here.

Looking for a flaw in the opponent’s playing style AFTER the match is 20/20 hindsight. The goal is to adapt DURING the game. Any other time is just Monday morning quarterbacking.

That depends on the setting of the match. If its a tourney, money match, ie. somethings on the line than yeah. But if its casual, just at the arcade or something or I have the luxury of seeing this fellow again, then I can safely take the time needed to think about finding weaknesses in his playstyle/ how to counter it, especially if I could not cope during the match.

Not when i can easily put a quarter in the machine and play you again. Your acting like the only time one should bother learning is during play time and that after thought analysis is a waste of time which isn’t true at all. If it was there would be no reason for football coaches to analyze football games after the fact to figure out their own teams weaknesses and strengths as well as the oppositions. Self improvement man. Just because I’m trying to improve my own game and overcome my faults by finding yours doesn’t mean my “Good Games” is half hearted.

Apoc should be here to talk about this topic as he’s more experienced with it than I.

Yes, a “metagame” exists, and there’s something to be said for keeping a psychological advantage. However, what you guys are talking about amounts to “think of mistakes the opponent made and hope s/he makes them again”, which is, no offense, leaving a lot to luck at best. Usually, it doesn’t work and you’re just wasting both our time.

You sound like a really cool person and your Street Fighter blog is a very good read.