Difference between online and normal play

Some good points across the thread.
No matter how good an Internet netplay system is, it’ll never be like offline! There are two exceptions to this rule:

1. if they discover a way to send packets back in time
  2. the game’s natural execution delay offline is large enough to cover up the latency underneath - game needs to support it (dont think sf4 does) - still expected to get worse when latency exceeds that threshold

But, in sf4’s case, I don’t notice it much these days with 5/6 bar people. I guess it’ll totally piss you of if you play reactively :smiley: like those last minute dps or throws etc…u guys know better than me. But that can probably be balanced by changing your strategy and you do get used to the timing after a few matches. I dont mean them as excuses for not playing offline or not playing online if you don’t have an offline scene going.

Also when you or your opponent has a shitty computer, it feels like it skips a lot of frames in some stages. Or if you have a shitty/wireless/shared internet connection for that matter.

So I heard you guys were talking about networking in here.

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=185319

The biggest difference I’ve noticed with online play is a bunch of Ken players doing random, full-screen ultras.

Besides all the input stuff that’s already been mentioned, the level of play is usually really, really low.

The one concrete difference is internet latency. It is present but not bad by any means, online play is incredible compared to what it used to be. :chat:The benefit of online play is getting to play against really good players, the one thing that can make you a better player.

first off i believe there is a guide like this in the tech talk forum titled something along the lines of optimizing internet gaming or some shit like that. missed the part where kooper posted the link for me: http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=185319

but to answer your questions: a port is a internal address used by computers and computer networking devices, it is what’s used to direct internet traffic to the correct device/program. for example port 80 is the HTTP (ie the web page port) so when you type in www.yahoo.com your sending your request for a webpage to port 80 of yahoo’s server. or when your downloading a file from a webserver your downloading from the ftp port 20.

you can either manage your port settings in the mmc on windows or for things like port forwarding you set that up on your router. the only reason you would mess with port settings on the computer itself is if it’s a server that say is just your web host, you would want to lock down most of the ports besides 80 and a couple others.

you forward a port by setting up port forwarding in your router (each of the plugs in the back of the router has a port number for the router to keep their traffic seperate, these are NOT the same as the ports on your computer which are for specific services).

lastly what does port forwarding do? well normally when traffic comes into your router the router needs to look at the packets of that traffic to figure out which device on it’s network to send that packet to, this adds additional time before said packet reaches your machine. by establishing port forwarding you can just have your router skip that step for information being sent to certain ports and have the router simply push that information through to 1 location every time. this works well for console gaming because they send their information on unique ports, so by forwarding those ports to your console you remove the extra steps for your router.