Different LED colors/lighting depending on connected console?

I’m pretty sure I know the answer already to this, but I figured I’d shoot it out here just to be sure.

So while I’m building myself my next set of sticks, I offered to buy my cousin one too. He didn’t make any crazy demands or anything, except for one request, if possible.

With the assumption that I was making the stick both PS3- and Xbox360-compatible (in some way or other), he wanted the Home/Guide button to be a clear Seimitsu button, but with LEDs in it. And he’d like the LEDs to glow green if it was connected to an Xbox, and glow red if it was connected to a PS3.

I’m not fully familiar with the full capabilities of the nice LED parts (KNsert, ArcEye, etc) and LED controller boards (FGWidget, Sparky, etc), but I’m pretty sure that there’s no simple way to get this done, if at all.

I was thinking that if I were to use a PCB such as the Paewang or PS360, it would likely be impossible since both 360 and PS3 functions are done on the same board with a combined set of components. On the other hand, I thought that, if this were possible, the solution may lie in dual-modding with an Imp switch; my rationale being that since the PS3 and 360 functionality is done on two separate boards, there may be a way to connect another chip/board to the Imp to determine which console is currently in use, and light up the LEDs accordingly.

Am I on the right track, and can confidently tell my cousin that it’s not easily doable?

Some boards do have a color indicator lights on what mode the board is in, you can lead off the spots the lights are on the board to the home button.
As for the lights them self, I think the Ulia and the Arc Eyes support RGB colors.
This is not as easy as it sounds but it is do-able.

Well, one easy way is to use a Kitty :slight_smile: Guide LEDs act normal on 360, and change with the position of the stick in everything else.

But if you have an Imp, you can use it to determine which mode its in, and have two LEDs connected to it so that one lights in primary mode, and the other lights in secondary mode. But I’m pretty sure you’d have to do surface mount soldering to connect the two wires to the right points.

Thanks for the replies.
I’ll look into either the Imp or the Kitty solution. Though I suspect that, in the end, I’ll probably just tell him that I’d rather not do it.