Disadvantages of 6 button layout?

I plan to put new buttons in my TE soon and I planned to put a white plexi or something on there from Art while I am going have all the buttons out. I want to go to a six button set up since I don’t use the other two buttons but I am worried that I may go to play another game and might need those two buttons.

Can anyone offer some insight?

Also if I do pick the six button, will the button layout be the same just without LT and LB?

The only issue would be if you like to use in game button macros like PPP or LP+LK

i dont think any game needs the other two buttons, im not sure if they even exist in japan o.o
in fact, some games only need 4 buttons, like blazblue, attacks A, B, C, and D for Drive

Its just for lazy people, or people who have an issue setting off all 3 buttons at once. On a stick setup 6 should be easier as you have 1 hand devoted to the buttons. Pressing 2 or 3 at once shouldn’t be an issue for anyone.

I personally don’t think it’s a disadvantage. In fact, I just bought 6 button plexi from Art. Think of it this way, when you play in an arcade(if they even have them where you live) you won’t be looking to use the 3P/3K macros.

Are macros allowed in most tournaments?

Alright good to know. I think I am going to go for it, those other buttons do feel in the way. And I supposed if I do need I can always order another plexi or something.

3P/3K, not throw/focus

SNK set ups are 4 buttons across the top right? Assuming at some point you play a game that uses that, it would be useful to have all 8.

See picture: Snk button layout image by jam_86 on Photobucket

Yeah we do have a pretty decent arcade here, only problem is they run their games off of video game systems instead of actual machines, works good for using your own stick there though.

You can always go 2 over 2 for SNK. In fact some pics of KoFXIII loketest cabs had their buttons set up that way.

Also, you can go 3 over 1 which is actually closer in curvature to the old SNK cab layout.

The 8 button setup is the choice to choose the left 6 or right 6, so if you like to switch up which buttons you use keep the 8, otherwise 6 is just fine.

Yeah we do have a pretty decent arcade here, only problem is they run their games off of video game systems instead of actual machines, works good for using your own stick there though.

Yeah I play a lot of SNK games on Xbox Live Arcade and I use the 2 over 2 because of MvC

“only problem is they run their games off of video game systems” :-*( blasphemy

Agreed, lucky they do have them hooked up to a cabinet so its not too much different

Agreed, lucky they do have them hooked up to a cabinet so its not too much different

I personally don’t get why people cover buttons up. There’s only one button in the history of input devices that needs to be removed, and that’s the fucking left Win95 key. ( :mad: )

If you’re really accidentially hitting L1/L2 instead of R1/R2 on a FightStick, you need to work on pressing buttons with your fingers as opposed to your fists. Without those buttons, you’ll have to keep a second controller nearby for navigating the ranking menus in (S)SFIV and the XMB/Dashboard.

You also lose a lot of versatility. The L1/L2 buttons are required for an “authentic” SNK setup (though you can probably make do with the bottom-left button plus the top row), and there are games where the more “American” feel of the right six feels better than the “Japanese” layout of the left six.

Bottom line is, you lose versatility and single-controller menu navigation, and gain… what, exactly? The ability to use a handful of plexis that fit the Fightstick but only have 6 button holes? I dunno, whatever floats your boat, personally I’d just get an 8 button plexi. :wgrin:

8 button layouts are dumb.

I’ve never seen any disadvantages. Personally it actually helps me having 6 because it disciplined me to stop using backflip 20 times per second with Vega and means my hand doesn’t wander like it used to.