Disappointed in progress

I have been training/practice very hard in arcade and training modes. In training mode, getting combos right, and arcade is performing under pressure. I started from medium difficulty and now hard. I steam through the first few easily and when I got to the rival battle and Seth, it seems as though I just get mopped out the game. It would take me forever to beat the rival and stuck on Seth. I feel very discouraged because it’s only on hard mode and there are other players everywhere playing arcade mode on HARDEST difficulty. I just do not know what to do. I cannot grasp a hope of chance to compete in tournaments because I know other players play this at the hardest difficulty. I have been putting in a lot of time to train before jumping on arcade mode but still…I feel like I’m getting nowhere. Someone help because I like to know how you guys get better?

Plan:
-Train in training mode for certain amount of time
-Play arcade mode on desried difficulty
-After beating arcade mode, go back to training to perfect technique
-Back to arcade on higher difficulty (Or stay in the same difficulty till it gets to easy)
-(If possible, train with friend online or in person[no lag])

I do not want to sound dumb or spoiled in any way, just making the point that there are other players that developed their skill in this game to play on the hardest difficulty and was wondering what steps/plan you took to be where you are.

Please no rude or disrespectful comments. I can take positive criticism but nothing that degrades a player which makes them not play

Ignore arcade mode, go straight to online, lose a lot and after some time you will see some improvements.
You can’t possible get better at this game, when you are playing arcade mode, CPU is more random than online players.
And stop thinking about competing in tournaments if you have so much trouble in arcade mode.
Oh and this should have gone to: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/newbie-saikyo-dojo.52/

Don’t put too much thought in your arcade performance. CPU jumps up in difficulty at the rival and seth battles. The CPU makes up in insane reaction for what it lacks compared to real people. Seth will SPD/SRK perfectly the moment you press on a button, tech perfectly, whatever. Computers will NEVER make predictions/read/adapt and thats what makes them fundamentally inferior.
Other people who play against hardest CPU abuse bad CPU habits that are easily exploited and not necessarily an act of skill.
I dont know anyone who was producing notable results at tournaments while training in arcade mode. You said there are some? Like who?
Stick with playing with real people, I guarantee you will have noticeable improvement.

I apologize for the misplacement of this thread. I usual do go online but its guaranteed that my matches are laggy n I either get matched up with a player far superior in this game than me or a near equal opponent who still beats me, mostly superior gamers. Thanks for your comment too changing my plan up now

Well not professional players but friends who are really really good in this game. Like the reply to Firecotton, I always get matched up with crazy opponents. I honestly have to say I get beaten down like a sack of dolls.

I suggest to find a local friend who will play with you. Preferably, someone around the same level as you. But as long its someone who can communicate with you and willing to spend time giving you tips if they are a lot better than you. If its someone around your level you can just keep playing and learn.

Thanks for the help AmigoOne

For what you need to learn right now, playing CPU is more or less worthless.

Check regional matchmaking. Start hitting up casual sessions.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?categories/regional-matchmaking.110/

New plan:
-Training mode for combos and techniques
-Online play with random players
-Find local friend play online or in person [lag situation]

Anything else I should add to get better?

Just be mindful of why you won or lost. Things you cant really practice in training mode. Like teching throws, zoning, anti airs, baiting, reading, footsies etc.

Dude, that’s why it’s so satisfying to become legitimately good at a fighting game.

Because it’s a long and very uphill battle. And everyone you come across wants to keep you down.

It doesn’t come easy.

@Amigo- true

@Sxio- Agreed. I don’t want to make it sound like it should come easy, just wondering ways or correct ways to get better

Why is this part a problem? Why do starting players have this mentality that they will only learn something from winning? Play as many people as possible, regardless of skill. Yes you’re going to lose many, but if you pay attention to what’s going on in a round instead of bashing buttons, thoughtlessly hoping something will come out, you’ll actually learn something - when to anti-air, throw, tech, what you should have done against that last guys whiffed DP that you just stood there and watched instead of punishing, etc.

Stop being scared of losing, put away that pride and ego and realise it’s actually good for you and will help you (if you pay attention to the match/replay), you can learn a whole lot just from assessing the inputs on the replay, not to mention watching the gameplay to spot what you did wrong and why you got trashed so hard.

That’s a good start.

Obviously, I don’t know what your regime is, but how have you structured your training? It goes without saying that if you have some kind of plan rather than just trying random stuff one after the other, that it’ll help your executions, spacing (if that’s what you’re going for) and timing.

I’d also add watch matches on Youtube, follow players you like and watch their replays. You can get a lot of ideas that you probably would never have thought of from watching better players and it will help improve your game.

I watch Tokida since I use Akuma. Just need to perfect him better…I always seem to be match up with faster characters though i.e: ibuki, yun, yang, etc
I like to have a plan to get me better. just like any other player in most sports…have a plan to make themselves better. Dont want to go into any environment without having a plan of attack or unaware.

I always find the computer ‘cheats’ by reacting to what you do - consequently, you have to adopt a counter-punch style and react to what it does, and punish the mistakes it makes.
As everyone else says - not only does this not really count as good practice, it instills bad habits.
It does suck royally when you start online - losing every match feels demoralizing if you let it. The key is to watch the closer games back, and try and work out where you made a glaring error. To start with, you will only notice the big stuff, like where you were baited in to throwing a fireball you shouldn’t have, or noticing that you have a predictable pattern.

As you get better, you will start to notice smaller things, like your spacing being off to continue a combo, or missing an opportunity to punish a small mistake by your opponent. By spotting the mistakes, you prepare yourself to react to them in the future.

If you can, get a few mates on endless, and have the watchers comment on what happens in the game. There’s time in between and during char select to chat about what went wrong, as well as what worked.

First off, you have to realize that by picking Akuma, you’ve forced yourself into a…very volatile and harsh learning process. His options are overwhelming, his ultras are harder to land and punishment for any mistakes in your play is huge. Also, since he’s quite popular, an awful lot of players is very familiar with his options and gameplay.

It’s not an easy road.

@Eben01- I have…a few friends that help me on endless but they just seem to pound my into the ground. They tell me tips but seems like I’m not going anywhere. Like you mentioned, can be demoralizing but I do got to look back and see what to improve. Plus match ups can be up or down like when Akuma fights Yun, Ibuki, or other fast combo characters

@Larthy- I figured he maybe one of the toughest players to choose. Since if you make one small mistake with him then you will get punished badly. But he’s the only character I feel pretty comfortable and I like to pick a franchise character thats in multiple games. But for this game, I have been adapting to Adon, Sagat, just need to find another stable character that has great combos and punishment to opponents who have exploited weaknesses.

@Larthy- Also I have been using Yun a little. Maybe using him more than usual, I just hate picking characters that most ppl use BUT sometimes you got to face life and see that its like that sometimes (if this made sense lol)

Not trying to burst any sort of bubble here but… 7 out of 10 matches online, I play against an Akuma player. I hardly ever run into Yuns and when I do it is always fun, you know, getting the match-up figured out. (WTB more local Yun players)

I am hoping there is more diversity when in the B+ ranks… but I might just be lying to my own heart. :rofl: