Documentary: Runaway Slave

I just watched this documentary by Reverend C.L. Bryant, and I must admit it left me with a lot to think about. He approaches the issue of government systems using aid to create a new kind of slavery which keeps people lazy and dependent on the government, but places the emphasis of his arguments on the results these programs have had on the black community since the 1960s when they were created.

This puts him directly in opposition to groups like the NAACP (which he was former member of) and community leaders such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (who are both interviewed in the film) who he portrays as using the wounds of the past to line their own pockets.

Reverend Bryant’s views are about self empowerment and moving beyond a victim-based attitude towards a solution-based attitude. It does have some ties with a more conservative and republican mindset, but in a unique way that reflects his cultural upbringing. He’s not about the rich getting richer, he’s about people taking responsibility for themselves.

I was curious to see if anyone else had a chance to watch this film, as it seems to have created a lot of praise and controversy.

Here’s the film’s website:
http://www.runawayslavemovie.com/

I was able to watch it in the Documentary section on Netflix.

This thread will have much much anger.

People like Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams have similar ideas. Unfortunately most of us in the black community will just call him an Uncle Tom or coon and keep it moving.

Thomas Sowell was interviewed in the film, but what I find most distressing is that so many in the black community seem to show such resistance towards taking responsibility and self empowerment.

Rev. Bryant points out a multitude of other groups that were enslaved and discriminated against but did not carry this attitude of victimization and entitlement with them. It seems to imply that there is something unique within the black community in this respect.

So why are people within the black community so prone to call anyone who talks out against victimization and entitlement ‘Uncle Toms’? It’s almost as if you face being socially ostracized if you attempt to assert yourself. I’ve known many black classmates that have spoke about being labeled as a ‘sell-out’ just for wanting to go to college.

Yeah, that’s right. Many Negros are slaves to their own culture and it’s a culture manufactured by the white man. I’m not trying to be an asshole, but it’s the truth.

Because that’s actually the easier thing to do. And people have this notion with fitting in no matter how stupid it is. As a person who didn’t make the best decisions in life and wasted valuable time that I could have spent doing something more productive, it’s hard to pull yourself out of that slump. That hole in the ground. You pretty much have to hate what you’ve become/what’s happened to you and turn that into motivation to pull your life together and save yourself. When I did do good in school, I got nothing for it and when my grades started to slip I got bitched at. And my mother instead of helping, thought simply spending money and verbal abuse would solve everything. My father was a nice guy but his speeches taught nothing. At one point I did give up and no longer cared and was wasting my life. Eventually the more I thought about it, the angrier I became. I told myself that I can beat this and save my own life and I don’t need someone else around to do it. I don’t need praise or a bible to do it.

I’ve always suspected that people have the issue with looking in the mirror and telling themselves that they are worth the effort. It’s much easier to give up and let the tide carry you. And the black community always had their religion. I’m not against religion but I never liked how people would never thank themselves for what they’ve done and instead thank God. Just another thing that doesn’t tell you that you’re worth it and places the value on how someone else sees them. People for some reason refuse to strengthen themselves unless they have to rely on someone else. I hate that because we’re all human and have the strength and weakness of our species but we can become so much more.

Throw in some unwanted kids and people getting attached to each other and there’s the grave.

lol, as if this shit hasnt been discussed on srk before.

You mean this champion of the people?

A close black friend stopped all contact with me a year ago when I told her I thought affirmative action was a racist and sub optimal solution to the problems it attempts to address. That being said only an idiot who lives in a bubble is unaware that there has been and continues to exist a systematic weeding out of minorities throughout all facets of U.S. society, especially in employment. So anyone with the “minorities need to stop complaining and get a job” mentality are just as ignorant and morally repugnant as those who are what they’re being accused of being. It’s a rock and a hard place dilemma, one in which millions of Americans are heavily affected by so it’s easy to get swept up in the notion that your personal solution is the first step towards a better future for everyone, no one wants to admit they don’t have a worthwhile answer to such a serious and divisive issue.

What if you were to thank yourself for your accomplishments, but thank someone else for giving you the opportunities as well?

I don’t think people are giving others ALL of the credit for what they’ve done, but rather some of it for making the success possible.