Does the arcade stick make a significant difference?

I just started playing BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (my first fighter in a while) and I’m really enjoying it so far. I’m hoping to be able to engage in some fun and at least competent competition online and I’d been wondering for a while about the potential benefits of arcade sticks. I’ve heard some say those who take advantage of them and gain an advantage over those using controllers and it also seems those I know are hardcore fighting gamers tend to use them.

For those that do, what are you guys’ reason for using arcade sticks? Do they offer nontrivial benefits over controllers? And if they are really worth it, could you recommend any to me for this game within a reasonable price tag? I don’t think I could stomach $200 for the tournament stick for this game, but I would be willing to spend upwards of ~$50-$80 if its truly worth it for competition.

I think for 4 button games it matters a lot less, but for 6 button games like SSF4 I think it’s much simpler and better for me to use a stick.

Do you find directional+button input combinations (thus combos) to be any easier with it?

Well due to this year’s EVO, the “significant difference” line is just about blurry.

To be honest, I think learning both is good. I play Tekken and I’m mainly a pad player, but I also play on stick as well.
Double button presses are MUCH easier on stick, but movement is about the same (except my 1P backdash is faster on stick). And back when I played Calamity Trigger, I was doing my BnB’s and 6C grab cancel combos for Noel without much trouble on Pad. So really, it comes down to preference, but knowing both is always good… espspecially if you play on Xbox 360…
(in which … Stick >>>>> Pad). lol.

I learned my lesson about the 360 pad for fighters with Virtua Fighter 5 Online. It was an easy decision to get Continuum Shift for PS3.

Movement is my primary concern, though. So far I don’t feel I’m having real issue with dashing and cancel combos, but I am curious if people find that easier with a stick.

It makes special moves and supers infinitely easier to do!

I just switched, and although I wasn’t very good to begin with, I have noticed some improvements so far, particularly with things like p-linking in SSF4 and some other tight combos.

Downside is I’ve utterly lost the ability to reliably 720 and I’m getting a lot more trouble from things like HCBx2. That’s just shit I need to practice though.

You basically have to almost relearn motion inputs from the beginning, but things do seem to be getting better. The sensitivity was really throwing me off for a while.

If you do switch… switch hard for at least a while, easier to learn if you aren’t switching back and forth, do lots of drills to get motions down again, and… find some way to relax… I know I’m normally pretty laid back in this regard, but I still get pretty annoyed when I lose to someone almost entirely because the move I wanted to do didn’t come out when I wanted it to thanks to the switch.

At first, no, but with time, yes.

I use arcade stick for 2D fighters and pad for 3D.

I use arcade sticks not because of the number of buttons that are added (in response to the first reply), but because of the ease of QCF/QCB/HCF/HCB/360/etc. inputs, and ESPECIALLY charge inputs, over that of a dpad. Once you get the hang of it the motions are several times easier on a stick. Now the ease of access to buttons in a 6+ button game like SF is a nice touch as well, but it’s not deal breaking as I could manage on pad if the directional inputs didn’t exist.

I use pads for 3D fighters as in general they require 4 or less buttons and very easy directional inputs, and I grew up playing 3Ds on a pad, so I just stuck with it because the inputs are FAR easier than that of 2D games (and 3D landscapes just didn’t feel right on a stick to me).

What made you think that this doesn’t belong in the Newbie Saikyo Dojo?

You guys seem to be confirming my suspicions about motions using a stick. I’m particularly curious about 180-720s. In my experience with sticks in arcades, I’ve using fumbled these motions up. I’d just end up shifting back and forth and/or jumping without actually performing a move and it would just lead to disaster. While I can pull these off on a d-pad, honestly, it doesn’t feel all that comfortable on my thumb. I guess the fundamental theory I have about the use of these pads (because I see them used a lot for competition) is that they have a learning curve to them, but once you learn how to use them properly, there are benefits to using them over pads. You guys seem to be confirming that.

A newbie making a newbie mistake, I guess. You can move this thread there.

Joystick Controller - The Joystick Vs The Control Pad

Interesting read, both in terms of the concepts of phsyical intuition and ability with joysticks as well as the composition of joysticks.

I’ve been watching an Ebay listing for what appears to be the Hori stick in the picture at the top of that article:

Is that reasonable price to pay? Anyone have any recommendations/tips?

Switching to the TE fightstick made everything better for me. I was a pretty damn good BB pad player, but I found it a lot easier to play on stick. There were lots of moments I had where my thumb being too slow to react costed me rounds and shit. I’ve had none such moments when I switched to stick.

It’s all about personal preference though. Personal preference is why I’m going to be replacing my JLF with a JLW+round gate, since I love the tension and roundness of American joysticks a lot more than standard Japanese sticks. I’m kind of sad that the TE won’t fit an actual iL in there, but I think the JLW should do me just fine.

Depends on the character and how far you want to take the character. Some characters can be maxed out on pad and some can’t. As a Bryan player in Tekken, his taunt makes him. It’s tough to do on pad on the fly without buffering. However there’s a lot of characters that can be maxed out on pad and that’s why you’ll see a lot of pad players since in Tekken atleast, the d-pad is a lot easier to move around.

It’s all preference and character use.

Most stuff is easier with a stick, but some stuff with a pad is easier for sure. For 3S I’m 100% sure parrying is easier with a PS2 pad, and super cancelling DP motion to QCFx2 supers is too. But in general stick is better in the long run.

But yeah there have been a million threads like this in the past, it doesn’t need a new thread, and if it does it should be in the newbie forum. Close this shit somebody yo.

pads aren’t better than sticks period

but that doesn’t mean you can’t be just as good with a pad than with a stick

it just personal preference

the hori fighting stick 3 is great is you mod it with real arcade parts for more info head over here

Modding the Hori FS3 requires soldering, dremeling, wiring, and who knows what just to fit a Sanwa joystick in there.

A far better choice would be the Madcatz SE which you can get for $50, and if you decide that you want to mod it later then all you need to know is how to use a screwdriver and needle-nose pliers.

Anyways, @OneOkami ask any questions you have about different joysticks in the Tech Talk sub-forum and any questions you have about how to use the joystick in the Newbie sub-forum.