Dualshock 4 banned at EVO 2016

or you could ban wireless controllers and not worry about it someone forgetting.

and on the six button thing, use 4 of them and the triggers.

For an event as big as EVO…I think that’s more of an inconvenience for the TO/judges.

Get used to it.

I’ve seen guys walk off in a loss pissed and forgetting to desync their wireless pad…which holds up other matches to be played.
The staff doesn’t want to risk that.

Doesn’t Smug play controller? Like, not even a pad? I wonder about his reaction.

Pretty sure he would still have to abide by the rules like the rest of us…

Mr. Wizard just unbanned it on twitter. One more year makes sense. Gives players and manufacturers a year to bring acceptable alternatives.

**All wireless controllers other than the DualShock4 are banned.
Straight from the additional rules page. Must have been a recent edit.

Yeah…Wiz just amended the rule.

It’s not like Smug’s game is even in EVO this year…

You are misunderstanding what I am saying.

The people who walk off can’t desync their own controllers, only the new people who come on can truly disconnect the controllers.

Brook makes an excellent PS2 to PS4 adapter that should more than meet the needs of pad players who use a Dual Shock.

You can purchase one here: http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/brook-super-converters/1675--ps2-to-ps3ps4-super-converter.html?search_query=ps2+to+ps4&results=1

Joey Cuellar
‏@EvilMrWizard
We are going to unban the DualShock 4 for this years event. Players are responsible for unpairing them after your match with the console.

It seems both of you guys have no idea how pad players operate. It’s common knowledge that PS3 pads have some of the best D-Pads in the business. Those sega genesis like fightpads are horrible and ironically make it a bit more difficult. You can’t be so caviller and just tell someone to essentially suck it up when you don’t know what it’s like. Yes these controllers are out there, but there’s a reason people don’t use them. They’re A) Not cost effective and B) Not good or worth it.

Pad scrubs stay salty.

Step up your execution, or get/make a Hitbox if you’re desperate.

The problem is bigger than what people are discussing.

DS4 uses wireless for transmitting inputs, NO MATTER WHAT. Remove the battery, connect through wired, it doesn’t matter. The DS4 is not capable of transmitting controller input through USB. If the PCB has power, it will send all controller inputs through the wireless radio.

I know this because I had a stick modded last year and it kept dropping inputs and lagging out, because the (battery removed!) DS4 PCB was trying to communicate wirelessly with the PS4 from inside of a metal stick case. I had to have the stick re-modded and replaced with a Hori FC4 board, because those pads send input signals through USB.

The reader may be inclined to make some retort about my one-off problems with one sketchy stick. To you, I say: I had problems with dropped signal with ONE DS4 PCB communicating with ONE PS4. Now put DOZENS of PS4s in one ballroom, and have them try to sort wireless signals from the other DOZENS of DS4s… all communicating wirelessly at the same time.

This will not end well.

edit: Just wanted to point out that this post is referring to connecting a DS4 to a PS4; DS4 can send inputs over USB when connected to a PC.

id love to see the response time differences between wired pads and dualshock 4’s. I guarantee its faster on the wired pad.

Considering that a ds4 never uses wired inputs and always bluetooth, a well built wired pad is superior

http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html
According to this test the DS4 is extremely low.

for a wireless pad that is impressive.

HOWEVER you cant leave out the disclaimer

“The Sony Dual Shock 4 performs worse when other Dual Shock 4s are connected nearby, causing interference. For every additional DS4 activated on the PS4 nearby, delay increases by ~4 ms, and inputs can become delayed by 2 or more frames or drop altogether. Inputs also drop when console is not in direct line of sight to pad. Not recommended for pad hacking. Detailed results available in Excel file on Raw Data page.”

tournament setting with many dualshock 4s nearby? that can be an issue

Edit: Guess Calnaughtonjr posted this before I did!

** The Sony Dual Shock 4 performs worse when other Dual Shock 4s are connected nearby, causing interference. For every additional DS4 activated on the PS4 nearby, delay increases by ~4 ms, and inputs can become delayed by 2 or more frames or drop altogether. Inputs also drop when console is not in direct line of sight to pad. Not recommended for pad hacking. Detailed results available in Excel file on Raw Data page.