dvi to hdmi??

I’ve been curious about this for a while. Im currently broke and have not been able to purchase a new monitor. So I thought about purchasing a dvi to hdmi adapter for my pc monitor to see how that will do for the meantime.

My questions.
Has anyone done this and succeeded with good results??

Being that I will be connecting hdmi… and having a monitor with no speakers how will I go about sound? I have a pair of m-audio av30s that I have had for a while. It doesn’t have an optical output so how would I go about sound??

Thanks

dvi will work and i have gotten it to work on my monitor. Your monitor will have to be HDCP compliant though.

The Ps3 can output both hdmi video and composite audio, hook the composite audio to either a receiver or 1/8" adapter.

So you’re saying I can run both my composite and gelo at the sametime?

My monitor displaying video and my composite connected to my speakers? Because right now im using my speakers for sound anyways. My current tv is a 12" crt. And I just need something bigger lulz.

If I can use my composite and hdmi simultaneously that would be great. Thanks for your help.

^
Yes, that’s how we get sound via the projector in our house.

On the PS3’s sound settings and video settings, you can now choose which cable outputs video, and which one outputs sound. That way you can output video to your monitor from the DVI cable, and sound from the standard RCA or component cables. You might need an adapter if you’re hooking them up to PC speakers though. Radio shack sells them really cheap:

Amazon.com: RiteAV - 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Female Cable - 6 inch: Electronics

See if you can find both ends female, otherwise you’ll need a 3.5mm stereo female to female adapter too possibly. I have a female/female type of adapter and have my PS3 hooked up to a monitor with PC speakers this way.

Thanks for everyone’s input. Ill buy the adapter as soon as time permits. I appreciate your guys’ time.

HDMI is basically DVI+Audio. Since they both carry a digital signal, there is no need to buy an expensive adapter. That being said, I would buy a DVI > HDMI cable instead of an adapter. It’s inexpensive and you’ll eliminate the need of the adapter itself.

Monoprice DVI>HDMI

Honestly, for the price of the adaptor, you can buy a entire new HDMI cable online.

Amazon.com: HDMI Cable 2M (6 Feet): Electronics

6 feet, free shipping…nearly $3…

Thanks for the info@ dvi to hdmi cable guys. I didn’t know they sold cables this cheap!! And I thought I was lucky to get an hdmi cable on black friday for 10 dollars at walmart.

Luckily I didn’t buy the adapter yet. The cheapest I found at a retail store was 20 bucks.

After seeing prices like these ill just order them online. Thanks again for everyones input.