El-kalam : Traps, Counter-hits, Baits

hakan

Going through some El-kalam videos to learn some of his tricks, he describes his own play-style thusly :

Source : http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/may/04/el-kalam-ssf4-hakan-player-morocco/#c209234

Here is his fight against LiangHuBBB :

[media=youtube]DfKyUjN9eiE[/media]

0:01 Opens with Step Knee (F+Hard Kick), then backs up to max distance, dodges some fireballs and oils up

0:12 Notice the spacing. Even when Ken jumps in, the attack whiffs and Hakan is safe to Oil Shower

0:14 Oil Slide’s under Ken’s jump-in. Judging by how early and how far the slide goes (HP+oiled?) it does not seem like it was meant to hit, but to swap sides or make space.

0:15 Hakan goes in with j.mp.

The setup is revealed : sliding under and across, this creates an opportunity for a safe anti-air. Hakan’s j.mp is timed to hit at the top of the jump, nailing Ken who also jumps. DP looks like it would have whiffed at this distance, and by the time Hakan hits the ground he has recovered in time to follow up with another **Step Knee **(knockdown).

0.18 Early FA on Ken’s wakeup. The move is started right after Step Knee knockdown, and Hakan slides back as he is focusing, indicating that El-kalam is holding back. El-kalam probably had some options here, FA level 2, going for FA3, or cancelling into backdash. He chooses to go for the backdash.

0.19 Another j.mp from a distance. Lands and goes for FA+back-dash. Gets nailed by Ken, unfortunately since Hakan didn’t FA long enough to gain armor. But, due to being hit on backdash, Hakan is thrown back and is safe from any follow-up combo.

0.21 Throws out cr.lk as a poke, but then Ken jumps towards, and Hakan charges FA. Ken blocks.

0.22 Hakan jumps, Ken replies with his own FA. Hakan blocks.

0.23 Ken dashes towards then neutral jumps. This baits outs a whiffed Oil Rocket. Ken punishes with nj.hp, cr.lp, s.lp, cr.mk, EX hurricane kick.

0.27 Ken goes for DP after EX hurricane kick (does this combo?). Two questions here are, why did Ken go for the DP, and how was Hakan able to ultra2 in response? Is this an option select? :eek:

0.38 Hakan early slides to bait crouch, backdashes and escapes Ken’s crouch-tech pokes. Since Ken throws out two cr.lp, he is most likely mashing it. I suspect El-kalam is fishing to see how the opponent would react to wakeup.

0.40 Hakan throws out cr.mk. The wake-up setup is thus : early slide + backdash + cr.mk, which I guess would have punished a crouch-tech poke.

0.43 Hakan FA+back-dash absorbs Ken’s fireball, and as well as moving him far back enough to anti-air (j.mp) Ken’s jump-in-fireball follow-up.

0.46 Step Knee follow-up after the j.mp juggle, then c.mk + slide. This gets blocked and punished with a throw.

0.50 Ken’s cross up hits, but his drops the follow up combo, Hakan punishes block HP DP with cr.mk, slide.

0.55 Hakan does post-jump safe jump setup : st.lk, j.hk. Ken’s HP DP whiffs.

Round 2

Early pressure takes Hakan to half life.

1.28 At full screen, Hakan dashes forward, j.hp, then FA as he lands, punishing Ken’s step forward kick. Follows with slide + FADC + ultra.

1.42 Oils up, slides, FADC, dash forward, cr.lk x 4, dash back (gets punished). Loses Round 2.

Round 3

2.10 Step Knee to open the round, then jump back, Oil Shower, EX slide (hits)

2.14 Focus cancels into forward dash + Oil Rocket.

2.31 j.mp, FA + backdash, slide + FADC (backwards), j.mp, FA level 3, crumple punish is cr.mk, slide.

2.40 Again, s.lk, j.hk (post slide setup) crosses up Ken and causes LP DP to whiff.

2.42 s.lp, s.mp (3-frame trap?), jp.mp (blocked). Then does s.lp, s.lk, s.lp (blockstring? 2-frames in between) and pauses. Blockstring pushes Ken far back enough for his cr.hp to whiff, which Hakan punishes with tackle into slide.

Round 4

3.09 Full screen Coward Crouch into Oil Shower, the slide (empty) into cr.lk, s.lp, s.mp.

3.14 Full screen Hakan Spear (why?) into empty slide then FA.

Round 5

4.16 j.mp (juggle) into ultra (!). Empty slide into backdash follow up, pause, j.mp (anti-air, whiffs)

4.31 cr.lk (blocked), s.mp (counter-hit).

Game 2, Round 1

4.53 s.hp (dp whiff punish), then s.mp, Hakan Spear (f+mp), s.mp. I’ve not seen anyone else use s.mp, f+mp, s.mp, and if my math is correct, there would be 2x 6-frame gaps, which seems to be used to fish for counterhits…

5.12 s.lk, j.hk post-slide follow up, previously it was shown to be safe from dp. Does it cross up? Ken takes s.lp, s.lk, s.lp, then s.mp (blocked), spear (whiffs), s.mp, followed by j.mp, FA, and another j.mp, FA (this time back-dash cancelled).

5.27 Full screen Oil Shower. Then FA+backdash, f+HP, cr.lk, coward crouch (???), triple forward dash, EX Oil Rocket. Unfortunately it doesn’t work :stuck_out_tongue:

Round 2

5.42 Step Knee finally works! Hits Ken’s f+mk

6.05 empty slide, ultra (fishing for DP?)

Round 3

6.28 Opens with j.mp, somehow Ken also jumps and is nailed by this :stuck_out_tongue:

6.31 cr.mk into slide, but slide is blocked…still manages to grab Ken with Oil Rocket.

6.44 j.lk, s.lp (counter hit), throw.

6.48 empty slide, backdash (eats HP DP)

7.00 Full screen EX slide (blocked) into Oil Rocket.

7.04 Oil Shower, f+hk, EX Oil Rocket (!)

7.07 cr.lk, s.mp, FA (hold back)

Reserving this spot. Will finish this write-up later…its almost 2am…:zzz:

El Kalam is such an interesting fighter to watch.

Seems like an in-dept explanation of some pretty basic stuff to me.
I also feel like you’re reading way too much into some of the stuff thats going on in this video which gives El Kalam more credit for doing something that he might not have really done consciously. for instance

• 0:01 Opens with Step Knee (F+Hard Kick), then backs up to max distance, dodges some fireballs and oils up

0:12 Notice the spacing. Even when Ken jumps in, the attack whiffs and Hakan is safe to Oil Shower

0:14 Oil Slide’s under Ken’s jump-in. Judging by how early and how far the slide goes (HP+oiled?) it does not seem like it was meant to hit, but to swap sides or make space.

0:15 Hakan goes in with j.mp.

The setup is revealed : sliding under and across, this creates an opportunity for a safe anti-air. Hakan’s j.mp is timed to hit at the top of the jump, nailing Ken who also jumps. DP looks like it would have whiffed at this distance, and by the time Hakan hits the ground he has recovered in time to follow up with another Step Knee(knockdown).*

This entire part is kind of ridiculous. You want me to believe that all of what he did was a part of some elaborate set up even right down to the timing of the j.mp and the final Step Knee? I can tell you right now that the oil up he did at 12 seconds was not some magical “safe oil up” due to his awareness of the spacing. The oil up was preemptive and only didn’t get punished because LianghuBB was already jumping in at a bad range that wouldn’t have hit him reguardless unless he did a late tatsu of some sort. Even the part with you saying it looked like he was doing the j.mp from a position it would have beaten an SRK is funny to me. The j.mp was super late, and clearly on reaction to Ken being in the air with him and not trying to beat a DP. There isn’t a DP it would’ve beaten anyway, lp.DP would’ve beaten him flat out, mp.DP would’ve missed but recovered before he could be punished and doing Hp.DP or EX.DP from that distance would’ve just missed and been stupid on Lianghu’s part to begin with.

I’m not taking shots at El Kalam or anything, so if hes reading this, or someone who knows him is reading this. Don’t take it that way, or go crying to him about how someone on SRK is calling him a scrub because i’m not. All i’m saying is that this write up is a little too colorful for its own good right now.

Ah, lively discussion! :smiley:

Well…yes…if not I would not have written it as such :sunglasses:

If you watch the other rounds, other than after knockdown, El-Kalam will get to full screen before oiling up. I suspect this is not because he enjoys the corner of the screen, but because it is ‘safe’ from Ken, who does not have any kind of teleport or quick, forward moving special (like Dudley’s Machine Gun blow or Balrog’s Dash Straight) which could have punished this move from full screen. It is probably not “magical” (and I did not state this), but it is safe(ish) due to a jump-in from Ken coming up short and whiffing. Granted, if Ken followed up with Tatsu, he probably would have hit Hakan.

So, if LiangHuBBB was not jumping at a bad range, i.e. if he was standing, ready, at full screen, he could have punished the Oil Shower? How?

This was probably incorrect for me to say, but most likely El-Kalam felt it was safe to do. Out of 9 minutes of play, the number of times Hakan was anti-aired was minimal, to say the least. Either there was a gentleman’s agreement that Ken was not to anti-air, LiangHuBBB has lousy reflexes/execution (probably unlikely), or that it was ambiguous if the jump was punishable and was not risked.

I do not believe this is so, all throughout the clip, El-Kalam will jump and hit mp at the apex of his jump (i.e. anti-air) just to deny a forward jump as well as close distance, and then FA when he lands. The jump in question is here :

Either way, it is not ‘super late’. But I will concede to your point that it would probably not beat SRK.

Its perfectly fine for us to agree to disagree. I for one don’t agree that the description is too colourful, this is pretty mild by my standards.

Thank you again for your input :slight_smile:

Fine, blow my mind.

Being full-screen an oiling up is an entirely different situation. Yes, thats safe, and he did it multiple times but at 12 seconds, which is what i’m talking about, he just oiled up for the shit of oiling up and not because he was at a safe position. As far as punishing it goes, f.mk would’ve hit and got LiangHu in his face for a mix up. That is not being “safe to oil up.”

Hakan’s jump-arch isn’t good enough for it to ever be considered Ambiguous for any reason other than an attempted cross-up after a knockdown. Even if it were, ken does still have lp.dp and c.hp, both of which are going to anti-air consistently. I’m going to credit El-Kalam not getting anti-aired to LiangHu just not doing it. Not ambiguity.

Then I see no reason to really argue this. Me saying it was “super late” was just an exaggeration.

Its definitely too colorful for whats actually being done in the videos. You’re giving people that may not know any better the idea that there is something happening in this match that truthfully isn’t honestly happening. I see a lot of this on the Hakan forums, and its whats kept you guys from being truly dangerous with this character. At some point, all the hollywood write ups need to be challenged and I like Hakan enough to question what I see. And this write up, and El-Kalam as a Hakan player, really needs to be questioned. Are his decisions smart, or just him playing the game as it happens? Thats all i’m saying.

Theres just a little too many situations where I feel like you’re just saying “omg this guy is a god, hes so brilliant watch him be awsome.”