Emersion Vega guide

vega

Added part 3.2 to beginpost, also editted earlier parts to change some things as critiqued.

Don’t really know when the next parts come, have the next one partly done. Then have to work on the setup part.

Thing is my June schedule is extremely packed with tournaments left and right, with dreamhack and CEO also in there. So might not have enough time to work on the guide this month as i will be preparing harcore to play in those tournaments!

Rufus :open_mouth:

Emersion. Let me know if you need help man.

Good seeing you again at CEO.

Nice stuff, read only the last 2 articles,

Like francys I wanted to add a little something, I am not sure it belongs early in the section 3.1, as you clearly made lots of efforts to remain synthetic saving the more advanced and situational things for later, but I felt cr.HP to be missing from the antiair jump in, generally speaking it is not an excellent antiair and that is probably why you left it out of the “general” antiair moves (or maybe you are of these who cover the cases where it helps with some of the other moves).

I am not going into details as I feel you can see what i mean (rufus, cody, yun, feilong, zangief, cammy …) keeps them realistic about

how they planned on rapidly gaining ground to your mid range with a far forward jump a front dash from out of your longrange pokes ( rufus, cody, yun…

or an otherwise affordable frame delay on block get in (against vega) to bypass the footsies and go straight into rush down bullying option select or high reward mixups opportunities.

Also you didn’t cover how to deal with the ambiguous crossups jumps, where cr.HK under, FrontDash under are both very good ways, and very basic tools to go around the problem and switch the ground deficit in your favour, opening for a whole new round of runaway and footsies with the job to start all over again for the enemy.

Props to your :

“If you can’t go low risk, then go for the high reward” section, I have been advocating that to angry undoubtedly technically superior players than me, failing to understand the bluff part this game contains, and calling me a noob for not playing the :

Slightly safer, greatly less rewarding, and immensely more predictable vega’s regular emergency game.

People never understand that highlevel play in this game is the paper that beats the rock that middlelevel play is, but that it fails against the scissors that lowlevel play is (srk spam, sweeps, constant jump-ins etc…).

The first thing a great player has to do to cleanly beat a beginner ( that is finishing the round with more than 30% health) is stop playing him like he’d play another good player or an intermediate player, and use simple bait>block>punish trinity instead of advanced frame traps and trying to read what is unreadable.

Which leads as a corollary - as you said it in your own way - into playing “unsafe” (but rewarding) to counter what works best against “playing it safe”.

Thanks for the feedback ajunta!

Just a little status update on the guide part, guide will be hold untill USF4 comes out!
Enough seems to be changing to make continue te make posts and edit them later on, a bad time wasting excercise :smiley:

For those interested:
I also wont be playing v2012 much and not attend tournaments anymore in order to save up money and work days to go really wild in 2014!!
Sad that i wont be able to see jozhear and the gang at canadacup this year, but its a sacrifice i must take for the future :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking to join more US tournaments (only was at CEO this year), but just more outside tournaments in general.

So see you all in 2014 in USF4, looking forward to it!

@ajunta

I think that’s one of my biggest annoyances with this game - that it forces you to respect idiots. In other games like Starcraft, Magic or Go, someone playing stupid will just sabotage themselves and end up behind in due course. In Smash keeping distance from the spastic idiot is much easier, and he can even literally kill himself. Getting through such a player’s inanities is also a lot easier - just shield something and a very simplistic punish will get you ahead and knock him away again. Walking over idiots in these games is easy, because they have a more defined baseline of smart play (or at least it feels like that)

In SF4, you just sit in downback, jabjab, oh lol there goes the yoloken, combo time and let’s hope I don’t drop it or you eat another yoloken.

Good luck, Emersion. I find your guide has been more oriented toward practical ingame behaviour than pure theorical knowledge, and that makes it interesting related to other tutorials. So, GG and see you again. =)

You mean, that going for the most abusable gimmicks is specific to SF4 players ? You must be joking… Since when does it requires any quantity of brain to perform a 6-9 pool ? To proxy marauder, or to go for a big juicy DT rush/Banshee cloack/fast oracle/mass VR/mass reaper (pick according to individual preferences) ?

Players just go for the most rewarding/effortless choices, that’s human nature. Starcraft cheese adepts are no different than laggy shoryuken happy adepts in SFIV, turtling till you come into jumping range. In both games, the more skilled the player facing them, the less effective these strategies will be. You’ll bait them with safe-jumps in SF, you’ll out macro them by fast expanding in starcraft. In SC2, cheesers won’t learn to macro, in SFIV turtles won’t learn footsies.

It’s just the same in both games, the difference being that punishing that kind of attitude is much more straighfoward in FGs. :wink:

playing noobs = training mode. refining optimal punishes and showing off your “leet” combo skills to noobs satisfies me. i’m in no way an elitist!

Spoiler

j/k, yes i am :smiley: