Enjoying Injustice, fight stick time

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, first time poster.

Been a casual player of fighting games since the PS1 days, unfortunately I never knew anyone else who played; for this reason I couldn’t really justify the price of a stick for single player only.
My girlfriend has become really interested in Injustice, as has a friend; I think it’s time to invest in a stick!
I like things that are solid, well built, room for my wrists, sanwa buttons.
I’m strongly leaning toward the Hori SCV stick; it seems to meet my criteria… Soul Calibur isn’t my game of choice, but the PS3 version looks nice regardless (black and red buttons? Sexy.)
For the money, could I do better? Other suggestions?
If I do get the Hori, are there any modifications that you would recommend? I think i’m fine with the square gate, i’m not sure what else there is to do with it.
The Hori has a “Noir” layout; will this be a problem? Is it just the button layout shape, or the order of the buttons?

You know that is great you want to get a stick and get others to join with you on the fun.

We do have a thread here that just all about what arcade stick to buy.
[What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting](What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting

My advice when buying a stick, ignore the freaking artwork thats featuring whatever game is plastered all over the front.
Treat the Arcade stick just like any other controller when fighting games and arcade titles are concern.

If you do not like the art you can always swap out the art with something else, and if you want different colored buttons, you can swap out push buttons for others ones.

Mad Catz TE series is a bit more mod friendly than the Hori SCV (and similar style Hori sticks) and it has more mod options.

if you only have a PS3 then go for a PS3 stick, if you have both a Xbox 360 and a PS3 and want to use the same stick on both consoles consider dual-modding.
Pro-tip: Dual modding is easier when you start with a Xbox 360 stick and work from there.

Everything else you need to know can be found here

Thanks for the advice. The Mad Catz TE was the other stick I was looking at; I was actually about to buy the MLG version but amazon ran out of stock. That said, I’m PS3 only and likely won’t ever need to hook it up to a 360, so modding shouldn’t b
e an issue for the Hori. I know mad catz has really stepped up it’s game lately, but when I saw that Hori for basically the same price it seemed like the way to go. Also looked at the Hori v3 Kai, but it didn’t seem as sturdy, or like it had enough room for my wrists.

I looked on Amazon 1 used for $155? Ewww. Forget Amazon, its a crappy place for sticks.

If you want your moneys worth get either the new
TEKKEN™ TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Arcade FightStick™ Tournament Edition S+ for PlayStation®3 OR
Street Fighter X Tekken - Arcade FightStick™ V.S. for PlayStation®3

The TE is plenty sturdy and the V.S. is built like a tank.

Oh about this, don’t worry. Namco Noir layout is very similar to the Taito Veiwlix layout that the older Mad Catz TE uses.
The differences being that Namco made their layout slightly off by a millimeter here and there so no one can’t Namco is copying Taito.

I got the Hori SC5 for $134 with free shipping. Maybe not the best price on the stick possible, but it seemed to be abut average. Glad to hear that about the Noir thing. I’m excited to see how a stick can elevate my Injustice/TTT2 game. The D-pad was taking its toll on my thumb. My quarter circle moves are pretty reliable, but I think back-forward motions will be easier; also with the D pad I occasionally forward jump instead of dash. etc.

That Tekken one does look nice though. Once I’m sure my girlfriend will stick with fighting games, I may order that for her. She really like Tekken as well as Injustice, though It’s not quite as simple for her to pick up.

Please continue this here.