Etiquette...scrubs

Hey guys,

You know, I'm the type of guy that if I encounter someone who isn't so good at something, not just fighting games, I don't mock or avoid being around them or whatever, I try to help them out. I guess this has to do with being a martial arts instructor and having that attitude. Anyway, I know in this community that there are a lot of people who are scrubs.

I remember when I first watched two people playing Street Fighter 2 at a local machine and then began playing it, I was amazed by the quarter-circle moves/charge moves and right away I asked how they did that. In the beginning, I tried countless times to execute those moves. Eventually I got the hang of it and would be able to execute them here and there.

It seems normal that beginners would constantly execute those moves due to it being such an accomplishment for them. On the other hand those who already had the hang of it for awhile TEND TO USE KEN FOR HIS SHORYU!

We know the examples already so I won’t go into it. My point is, Instead of just calling them what they are, avoiding them, mocking them…etc, why don’t we guide them? I’m not saying that we should invite them over for training sessions or anything, but just offer a small tip here and there and acting less closed-mouthed about it.

You know, I play in ChinaTownFair once in awhile on the weekends and the etiquette of people is amazing sometimes. When I’m playing, I’m nice to the other person playing against me. By that I mean that I nod when good strategy is executed and if I lose, I still show thanks by just a nod or a pat on the shoulder and know that I just need more practice.

I recently played SF4 against this one guy who was beasting with El fuerte. After losing the first round, he stood up and walked away for a couple of seconds. He then came back and was like “I won 19 matches in a row already so you’d be wasting a dollar.” My point here is, the moment I put the dollar into the machine, I know I have a chance of winning AND LOSING. So to me that was an act of cockiness. I said “ok, thanks.” and played against my student who wasn’t so good (but I gave him a good match) After I won, the same guy sat down and played me…then I beat him.

Another time was when I brought my younger student for his first experience in CTF. He was playing against this guy in SF3TS. He was playing it for fun and just knows the basics of blocking and some quarter-circle moves. I was watching mind you: The guy he was playing against clearly could see that he was a beginner. In the second round he counters my student’s attack and clear as day smacks the stick and buttons to end him with a super (Chun) The thing that got to me was he said conceitedly “Oh damn! I meant to lose a round!” I mean common, I know for a fact that he didn’t forget because the level of play didn’t require too much attention that he would forget.

With this said, I don’t expect anyone to be nice…ecspecially in NYC lol. Noone is perfect either. What I’m trying to get to is that when it comes to attitude, for the most part for a serious player, it’s a lot for the glory of winning. That’s ok! because that’s why we play…to win, but still people should learn to relax a bit when they know they’ll rock their opponent.

As for scrubs or those who will typically pick a shoto and dont have much experience on how to really play, but just shoryu and hado, instead of just being disgusted or whatever, reach out a small bit by giving them a small tip(s) so they can get better. The way I see it, a scrub has his guard up just like any good player will, but doesn’t know how to play the game correctly. And to me, it all together makes them what they are due to the angst of winning and fear of losing.

Noone wants to help someone who clearly thinks their better when they win landing 3 shoryu’s and a weak combo, but still… I play SF4 on 360LIVE and PSN. After I win or lose, I give them a tip if they’re scrubby like “jump less/more poking/block once in awhile/less shoryu” I mean if we don’t want to do it in person, but at least online no one can see who you are or whatever; your choice.
This is our community and I think that if we just continue to ignore and talk about the ones who don’t know any better than we’ll always have them. Why not after winning, just let them know so we leave each person with a chance to actaully get better. Afterall, I think a community of decent fighters outweighing the scrubs is something we’d all like! I’m just concerned and trying to look at the big picture. Think about it, if we do something positive even small, we could encounter less shoto players with empty attacks and what not…

I think I played against the worst scrub ever. I know already the rule that if you call someone a scrub because you lost, that already makes you a scrub; but this guy was one. I played against this guy who was so ecstatic on picking Ken in SF4. He would have empty attacks/jumps and would for the most part only execute his shoryu, hadou and hurricane. He didn’t display any sign of skill except timing. I know what you’ll probably say, who needs skill if you have perfect timing…right. Anyway, I won win using pokes, chip damage, focus cancels, chains etc. He won using only his special moves at the right time. The thing was he was so dramatic doing Ken’s thumb gesture saying “yeaa!” and what not while his friends behind him were like Okaaay. Was the worst feeling ever to lose against someone annoying as that. I was able to shrug it off afterward, but still irritated me.

The best match I had was with this oriental guy in SF3TS, both of us were holding it down tieing it up to the 3rd round. He had 2/4 of health left and I only had a a fingernail’s worth of health. Anyway, I made a huge comeback using ducks, jumps, parries to normals and to his super and beat him. The thing that made it so great was that he was alive when he played; he acknowledged when I landed a good attack on him and acted like a sportsman when he lost just as I did to him when I lost. That was probably the best match against someone in person I’ve EVER had due to the fact that all the rest would either look away to their friends and smirk/walk away instantly/ or act like “yea I know/knew ur were gonna lose” when I did.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=34757

Read up on this.

Read that already…a very good post and very, very much true. I just wanted to throw my two cents in is all.

people arent oriental :china: they are asian

Great read. What can you do. In the end, these players are just human after all. About 90% of them are just going to be sore losers. They don’t want to acknowledge it, but it’s a fact. I’d be ecstatic if I could give tips to newbies who are willing to learn. It’s just some times these newbies might take things the wrong way or won’t acknowledge your tip. Back when I was playing MvC2, I used to be a dick and perform flashy combos over and over on the same “scrubs” that played. Being from a town where arcades died down and there’s not much competition what so ever, I soon saw my competition going away little by little. And the worse part is, when I show up, they’d take all their quarters off the machine. Now only if I was more etiquette back then, than I am now, maybe us Bostonians would have a bigger community in the fighting game, but unfortunately, we don’t.

I don’t know if this is a good example, but I’ll throw it out anyways. i.e. I go to the gym and I’ve been active for 4 years now. So when I see someone new at the gym doing something wrong, I tend to go up to them when they have their form wrong. Half of them are receptive and half of them aren’t. It’s hard to be etiquette when you know these people out there don’t appreciate your advice.

Once again, great read. It’s fantastic to see an 09 member posting something intelligent.

I understand the point of view of the author. However, one thing I’ve noticed is that some have conflated egos, and would probably talk shit to you online if you are attempting to give them pointers…I mean have you played SFIV online?

Also, I think they need to make the realization themselves of what they’re doing wrong sometimes.

Me at the arcade.

Win=Shake the Persons hand.
Lose=Say random curse word and proceed to say good game.

1 Dollar a game is alot to lose so i would guess people take it a little more to the heart.

Also at CTF people who normally play 3s seem more nicer then people playing SF4 most of the time.

Twas a good read. I, personally, get the good side of the spectrum here in Antioch.

I’m originally from New Orleans and I didnt really grow up around fighting games. I only seriously got into them when I moved up here three years and ago and at first I was put off about playing because…well I knew I was gonna suck.

But the guys I know that play SF4 have in a way taken me under their wing kinda.

Not to sound special or anything but it feels good to know that yea, while these guys are kicking me ass, they are essentially telling and showing me what to do and what not to do.

And when I pay it forward as best I can when someone new comes along and asks a question as well.

Anyways, didnt mean to blab on haha.

Good post man.

I’ve accepted that there are people who are good who are unwilling to give me any tips, so I just make it a habit of analyzing what it is they were doing which gave them the win. Having said that it does feel nice to get a few pointers.

I’m a good loser. I can acknowledge when someone has soundly beat me. I become a bad loser when the other guy is a dick about winning. That is amplified when it was a close match and they still have the gall to gloat over their victory.

Good post.