EVO Event - Ol Schoo CVS2

Single character, lowest damage lowest speed - 2 rounds of course: SINGLE MATCH.

Think about it.

How about just single character and no messing around with anything else like back in Evo 2k6? That was a fun tourney.

How about no Roll Cancels?

DevilJin - What do you mean?

TR - An extreme would be EX1 groove, EX1 being well nothing. Just the C Bar?

lol

i’m just praying cvs2 is still in evo roster

P-meter would be older school.

Please no messing with settings other than potential forced crappy ex groove.

p-meter would not be older school. that’s out of the question.

I think he meant without parrying option.

I came up with a variation of this a couple years back as an attraction match called The Ratio 4 Challenge:

• $1 entry fee (winner take all)
  • Each player picks a groove and character to go through the whole tournament.
  • The names of the players (with their groove and character written down) are all put into a hat and random seeds are given (we announced it live and it made for a crowd pleaser when heavy hitter players got each other in early rounds)
  • Single Match, Single Round, Double Elimination

It’s extremely quick (we ran a 64 player tournament in 2 hours on one cabinet), lots of fun and a good way to draw in players who don’t normally play CvS2. You’re going to get a few A Blanka or K Sagat whores but the majority of players take something a little more off kilter for the shits and giggles factor. I believe C Rock won the first one in a finals over K Nakoruru.

Mizuki: my bad

Nagata Lock - your event was perfect, minus one thing: having to pick a character for the whole tournament. If we eliminate that, then we have a solid blueprint in hand. In addition, what are your thoughts on replacing Ratio 4 with 2 rounds?

how about Ngroove shotos and bison

something like this would be cool. back in 2006 at evo renegade threw a single character tourney. it was pretty good and fun. i believe bas won.

then a few months back there was a discussion on one of our(va/md) trips to a NC tourney we were talking bout making cvs2 like sf2. u know, no grooves, no meter, no run, roll, dash, etc etc… that was pretty fun too. though no tourney was ever ran for this it would be nice to see it happen. peepz should try it. just unlock custom groove meter mode and turn everything off.

how about random select groove and characters. c’mon that could be fun ! :woot:

yeah lets have an xbox cvs2 tourney…I am obviously winning that one lol

R4 Gief!

SNAAAAKE - I ain’t diggin it

albert_c - I KNOW YOU BEEN SEEIN GUNTER CAUSING EARTHQUAKES IN JAPAN. CITY OFFICIALS HAD TO GET A TEAM ON IT. NOW THEY GOT THE UNDERCOVA JAPANESE LIBERATION ARMY (HEADED BY TOP SPY D44) TO SABOTAGE AMERICA’S SKUNK WERKS!

I elected for forced characters pick to avoid counterpicking. Blind pick would take forever in this kind of setup so the forced pick/lotto system was setup.

We used an arcade cabinet on the first go around, thus the single match. I don’t see it being an issue going 2/3. That’d be up to the director.

I see what you mean. Nice suggestion!

However, the whole counterpicking issue is nonsense. When players are choosing their characters on screen, there is a TIMER, which means, MOTHAFUCKAS ARE GONNA HAVE TO PICK SOMEONE EVENTUALLY, SO THEY CAN DANCE AROUND ALL THEY WANT, TRYIN FAKE LIKE HE GONNA PICK DAN, THEN GOING OVER BALROG ACTIN LIKE HE PRACTICE WIT EM. AND THEN HE PICK CHANG! OH SHIT. YA’LL SEEN THAT MULDER? HE GOT MY VOTE FOR NICEST CHANG IN JAPAN CAN I GET AN AMEN!

you need to stop doing drugs…

on topic: forced characters should be a rule, if not then counter picking IS a problem… period. Your argument that there is a timer is flawed, sure they have to pick someone sooner or later… but no one can maneuver to their character in under 3 seconds normally so letting it go down to 1 and switching= no go.

I’d be down for a Single Match Mode tourney.

None of this other shit though.

Blind pick takes like 10 seconds(+normal character selection time). It doesn’t take any longer in this format than any other.

If you’re waiting for the timer, put the curser on someone near your character, like vega, then switch to sagat at the last second. Obviously going from balrong to chang at the last moment isn’t possible, but even if you do it at the end it doesn’t give your opponent enough time to properly counter-pick that. If you can’t use the timer then you get counter-picked.

It’s exactly the same in every other game with a character selection. Either there is a blind pick mechanism or a timer(or nothing at all in which case both can sit there all day but that’s usually only in versus modes that don’t need to be used). Some tournaments force you to use the same throughout, some allow switching only if you lose, some allow switching whether you win or lose, and some force switching. Some have stage counter-picks that can be handled the same ways.

Everything other than blind and forced is subject to counter-picking. Even forced is somewhat subjected to it since you can just pick a counter to a popular character. Blind only has yomi counter-picks. Complaining about counter-picking is scrubby. If a game is so dependent on matchups then it’s a crappy game anyway. It’s like having a rock-paper-scissors tournament and forcing everyone to use the same the whole tournament.