EVO Finals Schedule

Here’s the FINAL version of the finals schedule for Evo.

Fri
8:30 - 9:00 Onsite Emergency Registration (DOA only)
9:00 - 12:00 Onsite Emergency Registration (all games except DOA)

9:00 - 12:00 Dead or Alive 4 Pools and Semis
12:00 - 3:00 Tekken 5 Pools and Semis
3:00 - 7:00 Marvel vs Capcom 2 Pools and Semis
7:00 - 11:00 Guilty Gear XX Pools and Semis

10:00 - 10:00 Mario Kart Time-Trials

Saturday
8:30 - 9:00 Onsite Emergency Registration (HSF2 only)
9:00 - 10:00 Onsite Emergency Registration (3S, CvS2)

9:00 - 12:00 Hyper Street Fighter 2 Pools and Semis
12:00 - 5:00 Street Fighter III Pools and Semis
5:00 - 6:00 Yaris $10,000+ Power Shot Challenge!
6:00 - 11:00 Capcom vs SNK 2 Pools and Semis

10:00 AM - 2:00 PM Mario Kart Semis

Sunday
9:00 - 10:00 Mario Kart Finals
10:00 - 11:30 Dead or Alive 4 Finals
11:30 - 1:00 Tekken 5 Finals
1:00 - 2:30 Hyper SF2 Finals
2:30 - 4:00 Guilty Gear XX Slash Finals
4:00 - 6:00 Capcom vs SNK 2 Finals
6:00 - 7:30 Marvel vs Capcom 2 Finals
7:30 - 9:00 Street Fighter III Finals

Can I make a recommendation?

Can you not stick HSF2 finals in between two 3d games that nobody who plays SF is going to watch?

HSF2 is going to be HYPE this year with the return of the Wolfe brothers, my winning EVO East, and the japanese coming (namely Daigo). Most Street Fighter players will not bother coming by for finals until their games come up. Nobody is going to show up to watch HSF2 at 11:30 if they then have to sit around doing nothing until 4pm, when the next SF game is up.

This is exactly what happened at EVO East…nobody was really around to watch HSF besides 3d game players who didn’t know what was going on/didn’t care, or the OG players who played in it/were actually interested. Most of the new-schoolers didn’t show up until the afternoon…which is why Lincoln didn’t even SHOW UP for HSF2 finals.

It’s a no-brainer: put all the 3d games together, then Guilty Gear, then all SF games. That way, each audience can be there for the games they’re interested in, without having massive breaks in between. And then they can even go eat/gamble/whatever together instead of having to leave and come back 100 times. Either that, or you’re going to have a relatively empty hall until 4pm when CvS2 starts.

I know that you’re trying to get people to watch other genres of fighting games by “mixing it up,” but all you’re going to do is have a tiny audience for probably the most hype old school Street Fighter tournament ever held, and risk having people like Lincoln not even show up for their top 8 matches.!

I have to agree with dsp.

ok, so i see you moved HSF up one slot…

you still have Guilty Gear after it. I.E. Capcom players still might not come since they’d have to sit through Guilty Gear, which pretty much none of them care about.

Listen, this is the obvious schedule:

Mario Kart
DOA4
Tekken 5
Guilty Gear
HSF2
CVS2
MVC2
3s

OR

You can even mix it up and have CvS2 first, then HSF2, or any order of capcom games, it does’nt matter. I do agree with having 3s last for hype. But the idea here is to have a block of Capcom games so 3d gamers can come and play, then leave…then guilty gear players can come and play then leave…and all the capcom gamers are left in a block to watch/play their games.

It just makes logical sense, why separate HSF2? I can’t think of a reason.

There is more overlap between Guilty Gear and Capcom games than DOA and whatever.

Flip HSF with MVC2, then flip MvC2 and Guilty Gear. Problem solved.

Counterpoint:
Diehard Capcom fans can get lunch during GGXX if they’re really not interested.
HSF2 and CvS2 will not be adjacent to minimize the number of people playing back-to-back finals (Daigo, Choi, Justin, Buk all have a chance at making finals in both games)

Most Capcom game players have no interest in AE. I’m being honest here, as much as it hurts me to say it.

AE is a niche game that pretty much only people who were around in the SFII generation care about. There are exceptions…aka Justin Wong, Jeron, and a handful of others…but the fact remains that it is people over the age of 24 who care about AE the most.

The majority of players at EVO watching Capcom will be there to watch CvS2, 3s and Marvel.

YES, there is hype around HSF2 and I want it to have it’s due time. YES I’m biased. But let me propose this.

Most people who come to see Capcom will sleep in/get up late and eat BEFORE they come to see finals. They will not want to sit through Guilty Gear. So they will just come for CvS2. This is coming from a gamer who has attended most majors over the past couple of years so please bare with me!

I propose two options:

1. Have a block of Capcom finals from 2:30-9pm. Capcom players will not leave but be glued to their seats and wont need a break, besides to take massive dumps. Put games in any order, but leave 3s last.

2. Put CvS2 in the 1pm slot. PLEASE I am begging you. This will awaken most of the Capcom top players who want to see CvS2 results, and also most of the Capcom fans. This will also give the Capcom players their “lunch break” as you proposed. And also, since you guys think CvS2 is mostly sitting around and not moving anyway, a lot of people can catch a nap during these finals.

The only reason I don’t want HSF2 separated from everything else is because I know it is going to be worthwhile to see this year (unlike last year where admittedly it was a joke, damn my Vega sucked) and most new-school Capcom players will not give a flying shit, and will not show up. Putting HSF2 in the thick of things in the “Capcom Block” makes it seem a lot more legitimate, and will have more new-school players watching and respecting the OG gameplay.

I agree, have everything in blocks please.

EDIT:
and yeah HSF2 will actually be good to watch.

I actually have to agree with Ponder on this one. Anyone that wants to take a break from watching finals that happens to be interested only in Capcom can take a break while GGXX is being run. If anyone remembers last Evo, sitting through a 6 hour block of fighting games kind of sucks. If you wanted to eat, you had to give up your seat during finals, get food, and watch finals from the back doors (unless you ninja’d food in, which put you at risk of getting thrown out). Leave GGXX where it is, and either leave the finals schedule how it is now, or go with DSP’s suggestion and switch out AE with CvS2. Either way, a “break” between them is good.

I’m not so sure it really matters where you put AE. New-school Capcom fans that DSP is describing are probably not going to be interested in watching AE. But I guess I don’t know the scene as well as he does.

Anyway, I was curious about the emergency registration. I’m probably going to be playing in the DOA4 event, and it seems the pools and semis for that game on Friday directly overlaps the emergency registration for that day. I think it’s a typo and should actually read 9-10 instead of 9-12.

But anyway, does that mean I could be playing in my pool for an hour or so and then some jabroni might get added at 10? I’m not really that concerned about it, I was just wondering if this was a possibility. Maybe AE players are wondering that too for Saturday.

Once doa starts, you wont be able to get into that game.

put cvs2 first at 1pm.

AE/ST is easily the most consistent exciting finals (mvc2 2k4 was whack and i hear 2k5 3s was whack), in part because it’s usually first but mainly because it’s the most respectable game imo, and this year will be the best for AE.

We all know ST put first to build hype (and because it’s the oldest), ggxx and cvs2 to cool it down and put people to sleep (unless you play those games), and for mvc2 to build it up again, of course 3s to finish.

If cvs2 is first, it can be good/decent finals, followed by ggxx then HSF. AE is techincally a newer game than cvs2 anyway so you can put cvs2 before

IMO, I think Slash is going to need a bigger timeslot for finals (probably 2 hour at least). I would be dissapointed if CVS was cut down to 1 game again because another game runs too long over schedule.

haha
when did this happen?
last year was boring as hell imo…

3s is probably the most exciting year in and year out (and NO i’m not a 3s player).

I forgot to add with exception of last year, i didn’t watch it but i heard it wasn’t great.

mvc2 and 3s of course is still the best, they are the MOST exciting no question when it is actually exciting, but in terms of consistency I think ST is solid. It’s a fast pace game that ends quickly.

2k4 marvel-justin beat everyone and mvc2 almost died, at least in the wc.
2k5 3s was decent.

But ST/ae compared to cvs2 when daigo was there (no i’m not a daigo fanboy, but A LOT of people are), I don’t remember the last time cvs2 was more exciting.

Not that their opinion counts, but gamespot, who hosted a few evo2k4 footage while back, said outside of the justin/daigo moment, ST was the best finals.

3s over marvel again?

that sucks. ending the night with marvel last year would have been too good. and marvel is easily the most crowd exciting game evo has. it always has been. even non-marvel players love the shit out of the games.

3s has a big following, and its good that daigo is back and top japanese players coming, but i always felt that marvel was evo’s premier game.

not knocking on 3s at all mind you, but i’m just a big fan of marvel, and i don’t even play the game.

I think the way Evo has been is that least popular games go first, and the most popular go last. Sounds good to me. It builds excitement, like sporting events. Also, many 2d players may want to see only 2d fighters (and 3d players 3d games), but I don’t think that’s a hard rule. I play Tekken for example, and have little interest in DOA. I will however, enjoy seeing AE and cvs2. Also, expecting people to sit in the same spot for 5+ hrs watching games they like doesn’t sound too great. People need breaks.

Anyway, imo keep it how its always been.

lol i feel exactly the opposite.

Is byoc gonna be open during sat/sunday?

edit running one game’s pool + semis the same day as its own thing instead of all games at once = very good (for people recording *cough cough preppy cough cough :tup:

There’s really no way of telling which finals are going to be the best (between 3S and MvC2 at least).

2004: MvC2 was boring. Wong dominated. Everyone else took naps. 3S had the infamous “Daigo Parry”, making it pretty awesome. ST was probably the winner that year, with crazy finals and Daigo’s sick Balrog rushdown.

2005: Marvel, Marvel, Marvel, hands down. Duc Do’s return, Wong only getting 4th, and Yipes beasting everyone. By far the best finals of 2005, oddly enough. 3S was kind of boring that year.

Again, it’s difficult to say which game will be more exciting this year. There’s no real way of telling until finals are already over. :\

mix them! lol, 1 game of mvc2, then 3s.