Evolution 2005 Aftermath

We want to thank everyone that came out to the event and had a great time. It was a learning experience for the Evo staff as this was our first year as a joint event. We know some things went wrong, and some things went right.

We want to hear everyone’s opinion on what went right and what didn’t. We don’t mind the criticism as long as it is constructive. Tell us how you would fix the problems.

I read this in another thread and i have to agree:

Also, i didn’t like how 1/2 the pools in 3s got 2 outta 3 format, and the other half got the single game format. And how losers first game was single game format. Letting people have diff format is in no way fair.

vannessie(sp?) is still hot, osnap

I can’t really critique much since I really didn’t play and mostly was spectating. But seeing finals only have 1 round is…well gay imo. Dunno how to say it :] I know cvs2 is long and all, but even for finals?~~~ dunno
I had a blast even though I didnt get to meet the people I wanted to, hope to meet them next year. :pleased:

seriously, there needs to be a seperate BYOC room and/or arcade.

whole lot of people were dissapointed on the second day when the halo tournament took out like 90% of the BYOC TVs

cigarbobs cabinet made evo much much much better

Only complaint i had was saying that marvel semi’s were going to be held on saturday and instead held most of the 1st/2nd round matches on friday. I understand that you guys were behind on time, but most of us were exhausted from waiting around all day for our pools to start, on top of the fact that people who were in early pools and left weren’t notified of this(unless someone had their celly).

Other than that, awesome evo. Please keep it in vegas, the money i won from marvel money matches/poker was more than some tournaments. Good shit guys!

I thought it was really cool. But more Tv’s Would be Great since Halo2 was taking up most of them. But since it was sponsored by MLG it makes sense that there was a bunch of Halo 2 players.

Nam under Jesse’s handle…

I realize its hard running a tournament of this caliber…

But organization for the most part was PISS poor…

I really wish there was a better format to tell what pool you were in instead of "LOOK FOR YOUR NAME AMONGST THESE 300 NAMES"
Atleast have names in alpahabetical order, and from there, let people know what pool theyre in, and what time.

i got DQed from my third strike pool because it was going on at the same time as my Marvel pool… Heres the thing… not ONCE was my name called to look for me… Apparently, YOU were JUST calling out pools 5 at a time, and i obviously wasnt paying attention if im playin serious in another game. I have like 50 people in that room who have my cell number… had I for some reason not heard my name, one of them would, and i would have been notified but that wasnt going to happen if my name was never called… But yea… its retarded i get DQed because im too busy with another game.

waiting till 11 on fri to register was rediculous.

NOT letting SRK know about the extra $150 a night deposit is also rediculous.

Changing tournament format is in the MIDDLE of a tournament is dumb… I seriously saw CvS2 go from best of 1 to 2/3, back to best of one, back to 2/3, back to best of one.

And how come is it that when Japanese players are missing, you will play EVERY other possible match before you even think about disqualifying them. I had to wait for my match with KSK for a looooooong time… whereas others who were half as late as him got DQed.

thats it for now. but ill think of more later.

oh… AND GVR not having a poker room… thats HELLA stupid shit.

As far as Evolutions go, this one was an experiment like every massive tournament is but overall it went quite well. There are only a few suggestions I have that ought to be incorporated next year.

–Yes, seperate BYOC room is probably a necessity next year. Well, at least a dedicated section–Friday was perfect, but when MLG showed up and took up 3/4 of the room with probably 200 people while there were 500+ SF players cramped into 1/4 of the room was pretty lame. Yes, the MLG sponsorship helps, especially since they rent all the TVs and whatnot, but if anyone runs tournaments with these guys in the future someone needs to break the news to them that they do NOT deserve (nor need, since I didn’t see ANYBODY watching any of the Halo/Smash matches) that much space. I remember this being much less of a problem at TX Showdown, so I’m sure it can be done right.

–It was pretty ridiculous that we had to wait 2 hours in line to get in Friday morning, especially when registration was ALREADY done. I understand the waver, but that’s something that should have been do-able ONLINE beforehand along with the registration and on Thursday during the on-site registration. The whole point of pre-registration is so that you don’t have to wait in a long line the morning the tournament starts to get necessary information. Next year, everyone should be let in on Friday morning as soon as the event hall opens (which should be on time) and schedules/pools should be posted in several (at least 10 or so) different places so that everyone can easily find out when they play immediately without crowing around or having to have a friend find out for them.

–Just as jchensor said, it’s probably best and fairest that NO floating be done in brackets whatsoever. If you do it for one group of people, you have to do it for everyone. The tournament is double elimination anyway, so what’s the matter if you lose to your friend? Just don’t lose to anyone else. It would do us all some good to not float brackets anymore. You see crap like Ohnuki and KO fighting each other first round in Japanese tournaments and no one says anything, that’s just how it turned out, everything is random.

That’s all about how the event should actually be run. More importantly, to contribute to the smoothness of the event, there are a couple of things that MUST be done–

–From now on, stuff like handicap should be set up and turned OFF in the options before anyone plays. Mopreme suggested this before for 3rd Strike, but no one did it, and sure enough I witnessed two people play a match with someone accidentally setting their handicap down (people have a tendency to shake the joystick and mash buttons after they select their character/super) and those people had to replay the match. This is the player’s fault too, but it’s a common mistake so prevention measures ought to be taken. You only have to set options ONE TIME in the morning when you turn on all the PS2’s, it will take less than 5 minutes and save everyone the trouble.

–A TON of people paused in the middle of matches. I mean a lot! Way more than has ever happened. It seems that people tend to get nervous during matches when they’re mashing or whatever and hit start button a lot more than normal. There should either be more strict rules to discourage this careless action (immediately losing the round/match) or people should just cut the start wire from their joystick before a tournament. Obviously not everyone is going to do this though (plus a lot of people don’t want to ever open their HRAP or whatever joystick) so there should simply be a more strict enforcement of the rules that are already supposed to be in place.

And finally, #1 most importantly, with all of my heart I must state that this is necessary in any future console event:

–From now on, custom-joysticks brought from other people MUST be configured to use DEFAULT button layout. For all games besides Guilty Gear (which is quick and easy to set buttons, so it’s no big deal), there is no reason to ever have to change the buttons from default, period. If you screwed up when you built your joystick, please spend 10 minutes to open it and fix it instead of making us all waste hours of time before matches setting and making sure buttons are correctly set. You should never have to go to training mode before or in the middle of a tournament match for any reason. Do people do this at arcade tournaments? Of course not, because no settings are ever changed. Console should be no different. This literally would have made the tournament go HOURS faster.

The end! I’m glad I got to make it this year despite being in Japan, but hey, things just work out sometimes. I wasn’t expecting to be able to go, but I got to and it was once again a nice experience. Thanks, and see everyone next year when I’m back for good!

[Editorial] Vote With Your Quarters! (warning, long)

For the admin: guard you stuff cause people suck. Maybe you can bring bats to Evo MLB bats hahahaa…

For the people:

1st: When you get there other than the giant crowd you have no idea if you’re in the right place.

2nd: The organization of when and where people get their camera waiver.

3rd: A different or at least more sealed off BYOC area/room would have been cool. I agree with the person who said that the MLG people were taking a giant portion of the TV’s for Halo 2.

4th: From what I’ve read ST should have been on DC despite what happened with Kuni and that one guy.

5th: Projectors for games on Friday or RCA some of the feeds to another TV.

6th: Use S-Video if you can manage it (obviously not necessary)

7th: Eliminate what ever you need to do to make the 2 out of 3 the whole tourney instead of one game although it was probably not the administrations fault.

8th: Tables for people who needed somewhere to put their sticks.

9th: Some sort of material that you can put the sticks on OR something that can be attached in order to weigh the sticks down.

10th: Check all the settings for every game before hand ex: mono vs. stereo with MvC2 hehe.

11th: The lights, it would have been really cool if all of them were turned off during the finals… But I’m sure they couldn’t :sad:

To fix the problems:

1st Signs or a map you can post online for people to print or whatnot.

2nd Two stacks, first everyone gets the waiver then when they enter they can see on a projector when and whom they play, but that sounds really hard. Im sorry

3rd Caution tape hehe Ropes or big signs for the area as for getting another room that is probably too expensive.

4th: That one is something I cant help with.

5th Projectors cost too much so maybe $30 VCRs to RCA the input to another TV where people can watch what is going on.

6th You can find cables on EBay for very reasonable prices.

7th Organizing is all I can think of, I dont know much on how you run things, and Im only trying to help.

8th Maybe you can get the hotel to lend some out if they can, put they probably couldnt or else you would have used them at least the chairs were an option.

9th There was some sticky rubber thing that a friend had to put the stick on the table and it never moved, I have no idea what it was though. The people who tied their sticks down to those crates had the right idea

10th A memory card for one of the adapters that Evo is using preset with everything you need.

11th That one is up to you guys, I have no idea how you can fix that one if you would like to fix it. Perhaps you can get more people to help run the tourney.

All in all Evo went great, there were a lot of +s to the event, for instance those big gallons of ice water and the mints in the cups, that was probably the best thing there hehe.
Those guys running around with air fresheners were pretty cool too.

Oh I just remembered I was dqd for not showing up, I thought you guys had the phone numbers of people incase you needed to call them? I am not complaining that I got dqd because it was my fault for not being there but I just want to know what happened to that.

Good luck with making the DVD.

Edit* forgot to thank everyone who made Evo possible. Thanks to everyone who did their best to run the tournament. And the aftermath to come.

I pretty much agree with everything else besides this, and this is mainly for pad users not joystick.

For joystick I’d agree as why would there be a need to even change the buttons? jab, strong, fierce and its like that for all joysticks (unless coming back up after a pad user was playing on that side). But for pad users its a lil more difficult especially for something like a PS2 pad that has 4 on the front and 4 on top.

Yeah. What the fuck is up with that? It’s fuckin Vegas for Christ sakes.

I didn’t go to evo but I heard something about people crowding around tables and stuff during matches. I noticed this same problem at Evo2k4(which I did go to) and there were actually rope barriers around the play area. But because people are scumbags and don’t like to listen to rules I have one simple suggestion to prevent this in the future.

Build a giant boxed area made out of pliewood(sp?) around the table and leave a small entrance for the people playing to get in and out. Then have the person running the bracket for the game stand at the entrance of it so nobody goes in except tourny players.

This does about 3 things that I can think of off the top of my head.

1)Sections of play areas for specific games.
when I saw the pics I noticed TVs on both sides of the table. Was it about 6 TV’s per table? This creates 6 game areas per game. Maybe more depending on space. Like, MvC2 Sections A and B, etc.

2)Prevents crowding.
This way you won’t get random people getting in the way of a match or in front of a players vision etc.

3)Makes the tournament run more smoothly.
I heard about how people were jumping on the TV’s to play casuals during tourny? OOOOK and nobody said a damn thing?
The person running the bracket would be there to prevent this from happening. Also since there are 6 TV’s per game you could finish about 5-6 matches all at once(depending on how long some players take;turtling etc)

fubar: having everyones joystick wired to default is not as easy as you make it seem. capcom changes their default button layout over time. now if the player only plays one specific game, then sure. but for people that play numerous games, it cant be done.

the big problem with the buttons was that some people didnt know which button was which since they werent labeled. those were the ones that took a while.

evo kicked ass. but some problems of course. my gripes were:

1. none of the stations were labeled. if a pool was called to play, people were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. i would hear announcements that pool #10 is now playing, yet you look around and you cant find the pool to save your life, and are fearing a DQ cuz you cant find it. then 15 minutes later, you realize, the pool isnt even playing at all. it was really frustrating trying to find where to play.

2. stations need to be blocked off. i cant count how many times i was getting bumped into during play or people standing in the corner of the tv screen being a total distraction.

3. there were too many times friday where stations were being unused for pool play and for casual instead. i saw a few stations having casuals for over an hour. but i also know the biggest reason for this was not being able to find people to do the pool. i really think dq’s need to be enforced more. some people need common sense on when to stay in the tournament room, and when to leave. like if you are pool #9, and they are running pool #4, and theres like 6 stations running that same game, it would be smart to stick around. and if you do need to go (bathroom, go get something from the hotel room, etc…), you need to let a friend know so they can keep their ear open for your name and they can let the organizer know whats going on, or they can call their friend on a cell to get their ass back asap…

4. other problem was the mic. the speaker was all bass, it was extremely hard to hear what was being said, especially in the back of the room. this coulda been a big reason why #3 above, exists. people not being able to understand.

Either way. evo was still a blast. i had fun. i know its so hard to run an event like this, and despite problems, hats off to wiz, james chen, shinjn, seth, pip, trag, etc… the work is appreciated for real guys!

This was particularly shady. Even though Evo was amazing this year, this was one thing where I was truly insulted by. $150 down deposit for EACH FUCKING NIGHT? IIRC, the card holder for my room in particular was EIGHTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS. Are you shitting me? I wouldn’t have attended Evo if I would have known this little bit of information. Retarded.

Also, I wish every game was treated fairly. CvS2 is my personal favorite, and that finals was over in a little over an hour. Even though MvC2 took the show, I wanted to see more CvS2 instead of a quick 1 game and you’re done-thing, ala japan tournaments. Next year, please try and focus on treating every game fairly. I know there was time constraints, but I really only came to Evo to see the great CvS2 competition.

Overall, I thought Evolution was ran nicely. The staff was friendly, the games were fun and exciting and the layout was done well.

P.S. Okay, I lied. I have one more complaint. I’m a big Halo 2 fanboy as anyone, but days two and three were a little rediculous. It seemed almost as if this year that fighting games came second to the fighting games, and I’m sure that rubbed a few people the wrong way. I know it’s nice to have sponsors and finanical relief, but don’t forget where you came from, you guys. This is a fighting game tournament, and as such, it should be centered around fighting games. If you have to do some crazy stuff to raise money and support to make next years event happen without all the MLG bullshit, then let’s work together and make sure this is the best event to come out of Evo in a long time. Paypal support, equipment donations, ETC.

No, their default button layout has been exactly the same in every game since Super Turbo on PS1 IIRC. Here it is:

Jab - Square
Strong - Triangle
Fierce - R1

Short - X
Forward - Circle
Roundhouse - R2

It is like this in every capcom PS2 fighting game and most PS1 fighting games. Dreamcast’s button layout is as follows:

Jab - X
Strong - Y
Fierce - L

Short - A
Forward - B
Roundhouse - R

Good PSX–> Dreamcast controller adapters map L to R1 and R to R2 (ghetto ones don’t). Anyway, the only game still played on DC is MVC2, and it’s questionable how much longer this will be a tournament game. Besides, MAS sticks with both a Playstation and a Dreamcast cord do it right for both systems, anyway.

So, there is NO reason EVER to make the button layout for your joystick any different than what I listed above. The only game that requires button changes from default is Guilty Gear, and as I said, that game actually has fast button configuration so there is no problem.

Therefore, for any game that has been or will ever be held at Evolution, it should definitely be a requirement to keep default button settings. Training mode should be banned!! For pad users, make them learn default button layout. Nobody should get special privilidges for using a different controller than someone else.

On a side note, props again to CigarBob for his totally pimp set-up. CigarBob, I hope all the stats and instructions on how you built that thing are on Shoryuken, because when I come back to the states for good I am x-copying that shit piece for piece.

The poker room was still under construction. We missed out by like 2 weeks till it opens up.

that’s ridiculous. keep in mind that people play games other than SF fighting games.

i mean sure, if you want to suggest and strongly encourage people that in the future they should have default settings then that makes sense. in fact, i think that should definitely be done. but to give some sort of ultimatum with the "MUST"s is pretty lame IMO.

being flexible is key. if you feel a bit more comfortable with a layout a certain way, that should be fine! its better to be chill and lax about things like this.

also, i think if you try to enforce a rule such as this, youre just asking for more headaches–rules being broken, weird technicalities, grey DQs etc. etc.

anyway, remember–not all controllers are made to be equal. if you want to create a rule like that, you’re better off to require a default brand stick/controller.

come to think of it…random note–i think if anyone ever suggested such a thing at a LAN such as quakecon, they would be shot for being retarded. granted its not the same, but its somewhat similar.

also, i just wanna give a big fuck you to all the idiots who would yell “shit sucks” everytime something happened…
stfu before your ass gets on cam, i ll repeat your dumb ass face over and over when you say it, put some stupid music in so everyone can point and laugh, fuckin assholes.

tourny directors don t go up to you and yell “YOU SUCK” when everyone is watching and paying attention, so why would you be doing basically the same shit? that stings me that someone like james or any of the staff would have to hear that while in the process of fixing it, damn.

seriously, the peeps that run these things have better shit to do than to deal with your ADHD asses, they re thinking of the players, and they ARE human.
when things happen, you should try to understand as a peer, not as a spoiled ass spectator, “o i gave money so shit should be like this and that”, this ain t fuckin sports you watch on the couch bitch.

EVO was cool, I had a lot of fun playing RF, and enjoyed gambling inbetween matches.

The only the only areas where I see room for improvement are,

1. A specific BYOC room dedicated to it.
  2. Being in Vegas, I do believe that there would have been a bigger turnout if it would have being in Cali.
  3. IMO the root cause of this issues was associating with MLG I did get the feeling that EVO was happing at somebody else house, and that they had most of the control over what was happening in the room.

I had fun, big prop to the srk staff for organizing this and thanks.

I agree with you. I play more than SF and plus my wires for my sav stick are soddered (sp-i am tired :rofl: ) its not like I can open it up and change things in minutes. The other games I played in,it was fine and did not need the button change. Plus it took me 10 seconds to change 2 buttons around and it took most people that long or even shorter,so I agree the button thing was not the time killer,it was waiting on people to get to their pools and to find them also. plus other little things

oh yeah and the security guards at GVR…they sucked :wasted:

Evo was real good and can’t wait to come to it next year also. great seeing old friends and making new ones :pleased: props to all that ran evo :tup: