Execution falls apart outside of training mode

…and its pissing me the hell off.

I have started using stick after using pad for quite some time. I can toss out 100 (literally) qcf moves, supers and whatnot in training, both sides. As soon as i get into a match it just goes to shit. I start getting beat by stupid things i should be blocking, miss every punish opportunity. And im getting mauled by my brother who i used to beat effortlessly on pad.

WTF gives, i know im supposed to be adjusting to stick, but i thought the general consensus was after a few weeks of using stick you would stop sucking, or at least suck a bit less. im sucking MORE.

What do i do to finally stop sucking with stick?

A few weeks is nothing, give it more time. Pulling off moves off one after another for hours at a time against an opponent who’s standing there and not blocking is different then doing it against a live person. We all go through it

I’m one week into learning stick. I have to say execution wise I miss 15% command executions, like qcf but my combos are doing decent cause I do the whole training thing to keep am together. Anyway, I’m like you cause i currently suck, but I find my biggest problem is my instincts and reflexes are really dull when I play. People online probably think I’m retarded, lol. I’m starting to feel sorry for them, rather than myself.
Anyway, plan is to add people from here for endless battle at my current level, so indont lose my mind completely and just practice the hell out of this.

I’m one week into learning stick. I have to say execution wise I miss 15% command executions, like qcf but my combos are doing decent cause I do the whole training thing to keep am together. Anyway, I’m like you cause i currently suck, but I find my biggest problem is my instincts and reflexes are really dull when I play. People online probably think I’m retarded, lol. I’m starting to feel sorry for them, rather than myself.
Anyway, plan is to add people from here for endless battle at my current level, so indont lose my mind completely and just practice the hell out of this.

For some people having a stick tempts them to mash shit out with it under pressure… don’t do it… stay calm… with a pad you could do some things kind of mindlessly but everything you do with a stick has to have some sort of purpose otherwise don’t do it… if that makes any sense at all…

it’s a lot easier in training mode cause dummies don’t hit back, you have the correct distance, you’re only thinking about the combo and not anything else, etc. once you’re done in training you still have to practice it outside of training mode. all cause you’ve left training mode doesn’t mean you’re still not practicing. this means trying to do it against another opponent trying to bash your head in.

You just need some more time playing your brother or the CPU. Getting execution on special attacks is one thing but using those moves effectively in a match is something entirely different.

Also maybe just try little things like just getting the first hitqqqaaw

You just need more practice with the stick. Your control over the character will gradually feel tighter. It can take months to get to the point where thought equals what you see onscreen. If you stay with it, you’ll get there.

Yea I bought a stick recently and have the same issue OP has. I think the hardest part is the actual movement of your character.

I’m a week in too. The push buttons are hella difficult for me. Moving from punch to kicks, etc.

I hope you folks are right with time. Like the OP can hit these moves in my sleep in training mode on the stick. Online. HA. My reaction time is just slow on the joystick…

I don’t think it’s so much about reaction time, as much as execution time. The more practice you get, the more precise your joystick motion will be and the faster you can complete it.

I think this is true, I’ve been playing with a stick for about 3 weeks and I notice in matches my execution time is slow. I’ve been practicing thinking about the motion of the stick (like qcf) and then doing it with my hands. A lot of it seems to be confidence also, if I don’t think I’m going to hit a combo or certain move then I’ll usually end up messing up the motion.

Not only is the pressure and atmosphere different, your initial joystick position effects your execution as well. You probably practice your combos in a neutral starting position, when most of the time you’re walking backwards, crouching or what not just before you go for the combo. So it’s good to just vary the stick positions to iron out any awkward positions for you to do combos.

A thing that helped me execution was making sure i had dashes and FADC down(no need to be able to do ultras as well). This helped me get use to where neutral was and where forward and backwards was.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I have not given up, was just very frustrated when writing that. A good night of sleep and taking a step back away from the game for a small amount of time, and i will be ready to get back into it and start playing again.

I would like to get some matches against some of you if you are on xbox live. tag on there is kaioshade. I am usually available to play anytime from 8-11pm est.

I’ve made the switch to stick since February and I still have some execution issues. I definitely see an improvement though. I can go head to head with my bro who used to destroy me before. Plus it also depends on how much practice you get and how often you do it.

if you’ve graduated from being comfortable in training mode, practice against the computer. when i pick up a new character i usually get combos and setups down in training mode, then i play against the computer so i can practice hitting it in the flow of a match (as well as learning all the nuances in spacing, like if a combo will connect if a jump kick is early, etc.) before i play against someone else.

The problem that I had with this is that too many times in a real match, all I am looking to do is land the combo I was working hours in training mode to do. This often causes in many loses. You need to just play the match, and allow opportunities to happen to land those combos. Also, your reaction time isn’t there yet. You can do 100 DPs in a row, but can you do it quick enough to an unexpected jump in. Just keep practicing. I’ve been using stick for a year now, and I’m still not good yet, well as good as I want to be.

What you need is to get out of training mode and play someone, if you can get it out in training mode it means your brain know it and your hands know it, if your start screwing up in real fights it doesn’t change that fact that you still know it, it means your brain doesn’t have time to process everything and remain calm during the match.
Play more against anyone you can whether you win or lose isn’t really important at this point, the point is the longer you play against people the more things will slow down in your head, the time that guy jumped in and caught you off guard and you could react fast enough to anti air, well after 5-10 games you’ll start to see patterns and be better prepared to for him. This way you are baiting opportunities or waiting for them and it not your brain screaming OH CRAP ITS AN OPENING DO IT NOW, a millisecond before your window to punish closes.

I was the same way at first. Angry that I spent so much money on my stick, because I suuuucked with it. And I mean badly. I’ve been on my stick for something close to a month now.

I’ve done 87% of the challenges in SSFIV. I can now link attacks -> specials -> supers MOST of the time. I have gotten comfortable with using it on my lap on the floor/chair/desk/etc. Maybe try to change to a bat top? I changed mine and things got much better afterward.