Experience vs Technical Knowledge

If we were to choose one or the other…

Which quality is your preferred way to become a good fighter of any game?

Player Experience - lots of tourney/casual play, matchups, footsies, mixups, zoning, execution, basic combos, etc

VS

Technical Knowledge - less player experience; more training dummy practice, frame data, advanced execution, advanced combos, lots of training mode, plinking, etc…

Do you think player experience () is better than Technical Knowledge

I know the comparisons are almost transparent with one another, so if you have your own input in correcting the list I made above, feel free to add your own twist.

I know it’s easy to say “Well, both worlds are important! One cannot go without one another!” I know, I know. I’m asking if you had a choice to choose one, which would you go with?

That’s pretty easy. Player experience. It’s far more important to learn the fundamentals, as well as how to play with your opponent’s psychology, than game-specific technicality. Player experience can be applied to utilize a variety of characters across a variety of games, along with how to combat not only your matchup, but your opponent as well.

Technical knowledge is great, but the way you described it, it’s more about learning theory and practicing and training in a vacuum. It might get you pretty far, but unless you’ve had that PVP interaction, you can’t rely on it to clutch out when you need to.

I know this is a hypothetical, but I’ve met too many players who actually think they can get away without studying the technical aspects of the game as long as they are constantly playing vs other players. There are a lot of socal area 3s players who thought/think this way. It’s like a false dichotomy between the cool guys who play in arcades, and the nerds who stay in their room studying frame data and combos.

Wait so what happens when they don’t get away? (besides the obvious fact that they may lose a few rounds)

Well, both disciplines kind of go hand-in-hand don’t they? Sure the arcade OG’s didn’t have frame data tables and shit but they knew what to use for pokes, anti-airs, combos and such from playing a lot. With enough first-hand experience - which includes seeing others play - old school players like Tomo and Watson became legends. Now I can’t say for sure how limited technical knowledge was back in the day, but it was probably not as in-depth and certainly not as widespread as it is today. Not knowing the full frame data for the characters may have limited their game a little bit and prevented them from fully exploring what’s possible, but through pure skill they will still unbeatable. I think.

They kind of go hand-in-hand nowadays, since the advent of the internet made all of this technical information so widely available. That being said, I think people have different learning styles that they favor, whether its grinding out matches or practicing training mode setups, everybody has a variety of methods to improve themselves.

As far as the OG stuff goes, there was no frame data, training mode, console versions, plinking, or any of that stuff. They just learned to play by feel. Not to mention that the original SF2 was more heavily played than any other game in the series by a variety of both casual and hardcore players. They discovered a lot of the bugs and glitches that tended to either break the game (Guile’s handcuffs) or advance it (combos and CPS1 chains).

The things you mention for technical knowledge are pretty basic concepts. When someone has real technical knowledge almost nothing in the game should baffle him even if he hasn’t seen it before, he should understand the engine. He should know what it was, why it worked and should have an answer just come to him when something happens.

that’s what I call technical knowledge. But this type of knowledge is mostly built by playing.

There’s still certain things you’ll never know for sure from just playing. Plus with games having more characters, moves, and subsystems, theres more trivial knowledge that you can access more easily from supplemental material than just grinding out thousands of games.

ESN, a european 3s player, made a tool that shows all the hitboxes for every move in 3s overlayed on the sprites. I learned things from that tool I never knew just from playing, and I’ve been playing 3s for 7 years now.

Oh god, not again…

Experience, any day of the week.

Technical knowledge has only gotten me so far in games that are unplayable online, and I study a lot of shit.

Experience.

You can know the Technical aspects of Zero & Dante’s combos in and out, but it won’t help you if you can’t hit a Dormammu who can pierce your defense like its tissue paper. Just knowing frame data, execution and plinking isn’t enough. You have to know what to do against who, what not to do, and how to not panic if you did what you weren’t supposed to do. Not every Wekser shoots his gun before he teleports, not every Hulk spams Standing :h: and not every Strider pulls out the Ouroboros as an anchor.

OK, maybe that last one isn’t true, but you get me…

Experience, it’s all very well knowing that x move leaves your opponent at enough -frames on block for you to punish with y, but you need to be able to identify that move when it’s thrown at you, block correctly and punish in time with y and that requires experience.

Technical knowledge can be rather useful, but you still need to get that real match practice to implement it.

You are right when you say that there’s a lot you may not be able to learn from just playing, but in order to be a great player is it really a must to study things like frame data? Isn’t it enough to know that X character’s low whatever beats Y character’s low whatever? Does it really matter how many frames if you already know what beats what?

Combos are a bit of a different story I think because in a lot of games it’s possible that if your reflexes weren’t grade A, you might not know that certain moves are combo-able.

Experience will teach you a lot of the game’s technical knowledge, but it’ll take a hell of a lot longer than if you just studied up. But with that said, I’m going with the group and saying experience is the way to go. Technical knowledge will only get you so far, whereas you’ll probably get a bit further with a lot of experience.

Experience > Technical knowledge

if it were the other way around many here in srk would be Godtier which is not the case. Also many Top players can’t even write or explain their shit, their body just knows it.

Maybe not a must, but why wouldn’t you want to know as much information as possible if its accessible to you?

Experience. You can convert technical knowledge into experience any day.

Here we go with one of these threads again. Guess it’s okay to have “Versus” threads if the shit being discussed “appears” to be deep.

I agree with that. But like I said before, a lot of the stuff is stuff you can learn eventually by just playing. Sure it’ll take longer but you can still do it.

But if you’re inclined to learn a lot quickly, there’s no better way than to learn frame data and all that.

After playing certain matchups, I discovered what’s moves are safe and unsafe. After looking at the frame data for the matchup, I discovered why those moves are safe or unsafe and how safe/unsafe they are.

Technical knowledge is useful for determining what beats what while skipping through most of the trial and error process. You can know right off the bat who has the faster jab, who’s at a frame advantage off blockstun, and where the invincibility frames are. Hitbox data shows you the spots where you’re vunerable and how far your pokes go. There you can discover some good punishes and safe options.

What experience does is put the human element into the equation. Yea, you know overhead has 18 frames startup but is it fast enough to catch a good opponent off guard? Is my projectile recovery fast enough that I don’t get smacked by an anti-projectile move before I can block it? Is this mixup gonna work against a pro? That stuff you can’t determine through data and theory.

It’s kinda like asking would you rather have a car with no gas, or some gas with no car?

What? I could tell this was an absolutely stupid topic just based on the very first sentence. As a matter of fact, I wish all troll topics were that clear and honest.