External souncard

I’m looking for a nice affordable external soundcard that is compatible with windows 7, any suggestions?
Thanks

what price range are we talking about? USB or Firewire?

I got myself the TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 and I love it

TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 FireWire Audio Interface and Monitor Control | DV247

A quality USB DAC should do the trick.

Would this be used to enhance the quality of recordings? How much we talking here?

to replace an internal, 50-75 if at all possible.
usb btw

E-mu 0404 USB is pretty good purchase if you can spend about $220. It has both good DAC & ADC so it is ok to rip some vinyl records or record sound.
It also easy modable so you can get really good sound according to spent money.

I got a 1U Dell 350 server, it didnt have a sound card… I purchased a USB sound card wich was a USB cord, connected to a circle, with mic, speaker out, and something else out.

cost me 20 bucks. - it worked really well for playing emulator and watching hulu and stuff, on a pentium 3 system.

In Fact, this is the one I have.
Newegg.com - GWC USB 5.1 Channel Audo Adapter AA1500 5.1 Channels USB Interface Sound Card

I was looking at that the other day, I’ll see about purchasing it,I don’t have a large sum of money to work with.

In that price range, check out…

Behringer UFO202 (got one of these for ripping vinyls…decent little device)
Behringer UFO202 High-quality USB Audio Interface with Built-in Phono Preamp | DV247
Lexicon Alpha Stereo USB Audio Interface (bit more expensive but lexicon make quality gear)
Lexicon Alpha Stereo USB Audio Interface | DV247

These can work as replacement soundcards to? like if you want to over ride onboard sound this would work?

Eh, I wouldn’t order them if you’re in the United States.

There is this, which seems decent. Has S/PDIF in/out and Line In along with the standard audio ports, so you could even run your console audio through it if you want to use headphones.

Newegg.com - SIIG IC-710112-S1 7.1 Channels USB Digital External Surround Sound Device

Or you could just take the previous recommendation of the GWC.