Fighting against Cammy

makoto

I have recently been playing against a very good Cammy player online (PSN), and he normally manages to end a game once he has landed a knock-down with a very fast mix of both regular and cross-up cannon strikes, block strings on whiffing etc

I generally try to either jump back HP, or LP-fukiage but I never seem to be able to connect or choose the wrong option. Back dashing will often get me hit with an almost telepathic cannon-drill or other long range attack.

Out of, say, 20 games I managed to beat him once, although this was due to a mix of luck, and me playing an abnormally defensive game.

Anyone got any advice, or been in a similar situation?

also, if anyone on PSN wants to try an endless set with me, my PSN is Chewmandinga.

And here comes a million new threads…
Sorry brother, but its best if you ask in the ae makoto thread. Or check the match up thread cause I’m sure the info you need is there

That’s a nice way of doing it, but no one will match Mossads verbal disapprovals of new threads which are now just a memory. D:

Yeah the anger management is REALLY helping my play. So we will keep the therapy going…

THERAPY

Spoiler

I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry
I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry I will not get angry

Dammit I can’t like my own post…

Plus maybe we need a thread on this bitch. Every time I fight a good one it’s like I’m forest griffin fighting Anderson silva:

[media=youtube]V1R50LpFh_M[/media]

PSN: Facture_ Add me and we will play some endless sometime.

I definitely dont want to take that role, but I will say that when i first got on srk I was disappointed by the lower number of threads on this forum vs the other characters. Over time though I have come to fully appreciate the more streamlined nature of this forum vs the others and i really hope it stays that way

Yeah, i guess I should have looked around on the forums first. I was just super frustrated at my losing streak at the mo. I recently switched to an arcade stick over a pad, and my performance is lacking hugely, missing easy combos post-karasura etc and I can’t seem to win a single game now. I’ll try upload a replay at some point, and hopefully you guys may be able to point out where I’m stinking the place out.

The real pain is that I lost my B+ rank over the course of 4 hours and am currently sitting on a C rank…raging…

It just sounds like you need to get used to stick is all.

3-7 matchup. I’m serious.

I’ll try to be helpful. I’m trying to learn the match-up better currently myself.

In terms of footsies, use a lot of f+MP, s.HK, and c.LK. If the Cammy likes using c.MK, start using more s.HK, c.LK, c.HP (risky) or HK Tsurugi. The biggest tools you have to watch out for on her end in terms of a ground game are s.HK, c.MK, and anywhere near max range for her three normal SAs. Buffer poking doesn’t really work with s.MP or c.MP, there’s not much point for Cammy to excessively stay on the ground or actually attack you, and her specials are airborne. Plus she walks faster than you can react to, she’ll walk into range before you even know it and get punished for a blocked MP/EX Hayate. Basically, you want to get to a position where you can Tsurugi, dash, c.HP, or f+MP; FA use should be generally limited to trying to punish max distance SAs, because Cammy walks far too fast to use it at mid-range consistently - she’ll have walked out of range more often than not. Do not jump directly at Cammy, her AAs are insane and easy to use at any occasion, even outside of her Cannon Spike.

Once Cammy is knocked down, you have to delay all your safe jumps by 1 frame. Use:

EX Oroshi, dash, c.LP, neutral jump HK OS c.HK (c.HP misses :()
Back throw, s.MP, neutral jump HK (bad positioning, but it’s the only way outside of delaying the normal setup by 1 frame)

Punish DP with Yamase.

The big point to this match is AAing and someone starting pressure, much like vs. any dive kick character. It is TOUGH to AA Cammy outside of a Fukiage. Different timings on her Cannon Strike will vary your normals’ effectiveness, ranging from AAing, whiffing, or plain getting counter-hit. You can FA any CS for a free crumple, but it’s quite risky as she can j.HK, HK DP, or empty jump throw, or empty jump c.LK > s.LP, or even empty jump U1. Ultimately, it’s a guessing game. The best advice I can give for AAing is to Fukiage if able (helped by using f+MP or light attacks excessively and looking for the jump) or to use a very late c.MK, or a relatively late s.MP. s.MK and a well timed c.HK will win more often than not to a high up CS, but EX CS will wreck them.

Once Cammy is in, it’s rough. Extremely rough. Basically, you cannot press buttons, at all, ever, in a million years. Her frame traps are brutal and allow for easy hit-confirming from one normal into a multitude of others. You basically have three options when under pressure: mash EX Karakusa (I’m ashamed to say, but this is important), crouching FA/throw backdash, or blocking. Do not try using the c.LP+c.LK+c.MK tech, it’s far, far more trouble and risky than it’s worth since Cammy lost her ability to CS on command without meter. The hardest part here is escaping; try pressing buttons and you’ll eat a fat combo, block excessively and you’ll give her a bunch of meter and eventually get thrown. Just try to safely get out and don’t get overeager with your escape options unless you’re given a reason to use one specifically.

Cammy’s throws lead into mix-ups, especially rough because of her dive kick and decent cross-up. In specific, her backthrow leads into a cross-up/dive kick/empty jump mix-up hell that can drive you up a wall. I believe you can FA absorb dash forward either attack if she jumps from cross-up range and punish a CS, but don’t quote me on that. I also believe there’s an OS block here: block back, then block forward immediately after. Can be messed with.

Other things of note:

• j.HP is a fake cross-up against Cammy in the corner.
  • Don’t always quick rise. All of Cammy’s combo ending specials can get teched, yet you’ll find that’s the expected result and you’ll have to contend with a meaty. On the other hand, don’t always stay on the ground, you’ll be in the corner in two knockdowns flat.
  • Escape U2 is viable - Cammy can’t punish it in a lot of cases, save for a DP FADC attempted on your wake-up. Even if she has U1.
  • You can use a “reversal” crouching attack to duck under meaty Hooligan Throw. Otherwise you’re screwed. One popular time for an uncrouchable HT is after U1.
  • If you block FA2, don’t tech at all. You’ll die.

Really really good eval. I don’t think it is 3-7. It might be, but it is definitely at least 4-6. I won’t disagree too adamantly lol. I do have a couple of things to add…

-only punish blocked LK DP with Yamase. The others, on block, punished with HP Fuki, EX/Kara HP Fuki, Tsurugi. Reason 1 is it does more damage and stun. Reason 2 is Yamase doesn’t give the Knock Down Makoto needs to dash/push Cammy into the corner.
-also, often, when you backdash, Spike will whiff. LP fuki that shit
-if you get KD, and cammy is standing next to you, DO NOT FUKI ON WAKEUP. Literally, all her options beat Makoto. Doesn’t matter what she does. It will beat fuki. Also try not to backdash too predictably. She can OS spiral arrow or U1
-safe jump OS U1 works beautifully on her.
-this match will test your patience. Perfect range for Makoto is s.HK max range. At that range, sHK beats all of Cammys options. She WILL NOT stay there. You will have to smartly keep her there using your walk and proper anti airing with cMK. At less than max range for sHK, use sMP until she gets there. One thing that works really well against her is chaining 2 blocked L/M Punches and just randomly switching between sHK(which beats Cannon Spike and is pretty safe on block. 330 stun on CH) and neutral jump HK IAT (beats everything else but loses to Spike)
-Tsurugi on her wakeup is great. Is they spike on WAKEUP, bait and punish with Fuki. Once they stop get back to Tsurugi. Beats backdash, makes ultra whiff (not U2), easy to XU, beats everything else
-Karakusa all blocked spiral arrows (wasn’t it cannon drill in Marvel 2? Lol don’t know why I thought if that)
-you can LP Fuki EX flip on reaction. But if you’re not good with fuki, cMK beats it clean. Dash under to bait spike or try Karakusa
-one thing ive found helpful is normal throwing and Kara throwing HER a lot. Normal throwing is an essential part of her game. Beating her to the punch and forcing her to consider teching more opens up Taurugi options.

All this sounds cool but it’s really fucking hard. I’m just on the train rambling lol. Sorry guys. But yeah she is tough. This match is a test of whether you can block or not. Be prepared to block a lot and remember she can’t take a lot of damage from you unless you are bad at blocking or you can’t stop hitting buttons. Stop and look for patterns. Your patience will pay off. Maybe lol.