Fighting Game Lingo

Flames and comments of troll more aside, I was wondering if you guys could provide me with a brief description of the majority of the lingo you guys use when talking about fighting games. A perfect example of this is the term “pixie”. I’ve seen it thrown around and I can’t figure out what it meas. As you guys give me stuff, I’ll update it to the first post that way if more people like me who are clueless show up, it’ll be easier to find the terms and definitions you guys most commonly use.

Links provided courtesy of Cronopio
http://insomnia.ac/archive/glossaries/fighting/
http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html
http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfnotation.html

Courtesy of Mr Bakaboy
Cockroach - Someone making a comeback when they have no life left meaning you can get close but you can’t quite kill them.

Pitbull - Someone who attacks w/o any regard to defense. Stays in close range at all times

Pack of Wolves - Attacking with the same attack multiple times as fast as possible even though you’re stopped the first time.
Comes with the thought that it was a good attack, but the person got lucky stopping it.

Ankle biter - All low attacks

Going Matrix - When your moves start coming out so easily and the moves of your opponent becomes so predictable that you feel everything is in slow motion. Also called “the Zone” by many.

Going Star Wars - When you’re hand eye coordination is going so fast that your hands are going faster then your brain is processing it. The screen will look extra fast, but your still keeping up no problem.

Taking to the Woodshed - Beating down an opponent so hard that the opponent has no way to respond to it. Usually done by a corner trap (check other guides for explanation), but can be done just the same in the middle of the screen by advanced players

Slippery devil - Person who gets out of all corner traps with ease.

and just cause I didn’t see anyone mention it

rolling 'geif - from Capcom vs. SNK series where Zangief will use the roll straight into the spinning piledriver.

Courtesy of henaki
Frame Trap - A situation built to make the enemy think they have enough time to attack in between a set of attacks, but in reality they cannot, or have very little time to retaliate. If they do attempt an attack, they will be hit out of it. Frame traps always involve a situation where your character has an advantage if the first move is blocked. A general example is doing a very good meaty attack, waiting a split second, then following with an extremely quick attack, such as with M.Bison doing a c.HK just as they get up, and then doing standing LK.

Pringles.

Err…if you could offer what said word means in the context of the fighting game community, that would be a big help.

http://insomnia.ac/archive/glossaries/fighting/

or

http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html

and

http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfnotation.html

for notation.

Curleh Mustash. LOL, just kidding.

This one can be used as a positive or a negative.

EX: CURLY MUSTACHE!

or

EX: Where yo curly mustache at, son?

Once you pop, you just can’t stop.

…and the obligatory, “HE’S SO PRINGLES!”

Oh…and if you can give your characters custom colors, always go with mango.

I agree Xfaze is Pringles.

I have a sneaking suspicion my honest intentions have been parried by the collective might of the internets and I’m now being made fun of.

To be fair, all your lingo questions should be answered in those links.

…and great observation. Those internets parry into super 100%, man. Fucking dangerous.

If it’s not related to move notation/combo notation then you really don’t need to know it. I’ve been playing fighters for 17 years, and I’ve never heard the term pixie before.

Pixies? man, wtf. don’t worry about it. I played fighters since 91, competitively since 96 and never heard that word. If you meant pixle, it’s a short word for “picture element” used in computer graphic design field that is wrongly used in fighting game scene to indicate width/length of an item, usually distance of something or amount of life bar. It bugs the hell out of me, because most human eyes PROBABLY cannot see a fuckin picture element at 400 x 600+ resulution. Anyway, most of these lingos start from, yeah, the fukken manual. So if you read your game’s manual you’d be good for the most part. The only thing that’s not from any manual that I can think of is the retarded new age numpad direction notation. The number notation for direction is retarded shit some nerds sat and decided and stuck, but that’s basically your numpad direction as a 1p.

Edit: they aren’t really making fun of you, it’s an inside joke thing. Look up Rockerfella some time, he is a capcom fighting game player and does great fukken commentaries on match videos.

Fuck the knicks.

I call the gief body splash the CHESTNUTS!!!

Pixie is the dust they sprinkle on A-Groove to make it so beastly.

I cal the gief body splash “bears”.

I have no idea why.

don’t worry about it. at least now you know what “pixie” means :tup:

question for the SRK peeps: why did the dude have to open a thread to get those links? why can’t they be put on some sticky so new guys will find it with ease?

That’s a good question. There should be some sort of “useful info and links” sticky or something to make it easier for new users to find the information they want.

Cockroach - Someone making a comeback when they have no life left meaning you can get close but you can’t quite kill them.

Pitbull - Someone who attacks w/o any regard to defense. Stays in close range at all times

Pack of Wolves - Attacking with the same attack multiple times as fast as possible even though you’re stopped the first time.
Comes with the thought that it was a good attack, but the person got lucky stopping it.

Ankle biter - All low attacks

Going Matrix - When your moves start coming out so easily and the moves of your opponent becomes so predictable that you feel everything is in slow motion. Also called “the Zone” by many.

Going Star Wars - When you’re hand eye coordination is going so fast that your hands are going faster then your brain is processing it. The screen will look extra fast, but your still keeping up no problem.

Taking to the Woodshed - Beating down an opponent so hard that the opponent has no way to respond to it. Usually done by a corner trap (check other guides for explanation), but can be done just the same in the middle of the screen by advanced players

Slippery devil - Person who gets out of all corner traps with ease.

and just cause I didn’t see anyone mention it

rolling 'geif - from Capcom vs. SNK series where Zangief will use the roll straight into the spinning piledriver.

machismo.

i provided a link so you would click it. it’s definition actually doesn’t affect how i use the term. it’s longhand for “cheesy” tactics (but those don’t exist, lol)

scene girls. those are the girls that bother me while i’m playing at select arcades. i’m a fucking magnet for scene girls.

lol, cats. i want to make you pregnant