Fighting Game Suggestions and Advice Wanted

Just want to put out there, that I’m the type of person who really enjoys and is actually decent with 3D fighting games. 2D aren’t my specialty. I’m willing to learn though and be good at 2D fighting games. I want a good game to start with though. I’m really into Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition at the moment, but I would like to test out some more. I have played Marvel VS Capcom, Persona, Blazblue, and Street Fighter. I think that’s it.

Even though I’ve been playing games since I was young, especially fighting games. This year I finally came to understand, somewhat, how fighting games really work. It makes me feel like a failure. Though, I am happy that I have progressed. My boyfriend basically is my teacher in helping me get better, and actually suggested this site to me awhile back. I never made an account because I didn’t really take fighting games as seriously as I have been wanting to. My boyfriend talks about participating in Evo and so on. We watch matches together and analyze the fighters’ strategy.

I guess my first fighting game was Super Smash Bros., but then I started to play Soul Calibur and LOVED it. ( I still do… ) When I was playing Soul Calibur III back then, the game came with a disc that gave you previews for games coming out at the time. That is when I went and bought King of Fighters 2006, then Tekken 5 ( BIG MISTAKE ). Not until maybe or not even a year ago my boyfriend got me into playing 2D fighting games. He plays Street Fighter, Persona, Marvel VS Capcom, Blazblue, and has played games that I have never even heard of. Such as, Guilty Gear, Skull Girls (?), Darkstalkers, and a lot of other games. I can’t remember the names.

Anyways, ever since I played Tekken 5 I was highly against ever playing another Tekken game. Not until recently did my boyfriend persuade me to play Tag Tournament 2. I have to admit, I’m addicted. I’m not sure what it is about the game, but I absolutely love it. I practice with the game a couple hours everyday. Either I’m in training or playing Ghost Battles. I have never played online because I don’t have the online pass. ( I borrow the game ) I’ve been talking about playing Tag Tournament 2 competitively, but I feel very inexperienced with the lack of online. I’ve pretty much found my main character that I will probably always have on my team, which is Jaycee. I’ve been switching off between Alisa, Lili, and XiaoYu for my partner.

Oh, by the way, I use a regular controller. I have used a FightPad and Arcade Stick. It’s very hard for me to switch to these products, but I’m slowly getting used to a FightPad.

I’m going to be honest, before I started watching people who truly train in fighting games, I was a very aggressive player. I refused to guard and had the lame excuse that guarding is for the weak. Yeah… I was wrong. Now, I guard when I need to and crouch a lot more. I actually use combos that add up, instead of combos that are very basic. I also use to say that whoever uses special moves need the extra help, and I don’t. Once again, I was crazy for saying that! I’m everything my child self didn’t want to become! That’s why I am a decent player now. Last month, I did my first Hadouken and Shoryuken! I was so proud!

If anyone can suggest a game that I would like 3D or 2D, please tell me! I’m also open to giving any games I’ve already listed another go, but of course with some tips that could possibly help me adjust to 2D fighting games. Like, if you could explain to me the major differences between the 2 that really effect how you’re suppose to play the game.

Please don’t be too harsh on me! Thank you!

Fighting Games I Own:

Soul Calibur 2, 3, 4, 5 and PSP Soul Calibur game
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
The King of Fighters 2006
Tekken 5
Dead or Alive 5
Mortal Komat

Not sure if these count but…
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Fighting Games I Have Played But Don’t Own:

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift or BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II ( I don’t know which one I played out of these 2 )
Persona 4 Arena
Marvel VS Capcom 3 Ultimate
Marvel VS Capcom Origins

This is all I can think of at the moment…

I’ll just throw out a list of fighting games I like and how I see them:

Skullgirls: Fast paced, flashy, and extremely well balanced. It has a diverse, creative cast of characters, each with their own unique play style and gimmicks, who are fully fleshed out and can be played in a wide variety of hard hitting ways. The gameplay and strategy is simple, fun, and easy to understand, yet supremely smart and rewarding. I highly recommend it.

Vampire Savior: Fast paced, flashy, and with an emphasis on brutal offense based play. It’s also pretty well balanced and has a diverse cast. As noted the emphasis here is on the devastating offense based play, but the game is still extremely smart. It’s like a lightning paced chess where you strategically try to open up your opponents weakness before devastating them at close range.

Karnov’s Revenge: Classic, oldschool fighter. It’s ridiculously fun, with snappy matches, and easy to understand yet deep characters and gameplay.

Guilty Gear: Heavy Metal meets anime, one of the fastest and flashiest games, but also well balanced and deeply strategic, with one helluva high skill ceiling. Oh, and the soundtrack is AWESOME.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2: Unimaginably deep, yet unimaginably broken. A bit of an aquired taste at high level play, but anyone should be able to appreciate the smooth controls, plethora of mobility and mix up options, awesome pacing, and fun as hell characters.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: The best Street Fighter.

Ps: Your avatar is adorable.

Thank you for taking your time to tell me about these games and explaining them very well! I will definitely take these games into consideration!

What is your favorite fighting game?

Thank you! I was playing around with the thumbnail and so it made it really blurry so I just put it back to the full size picture.

Personally my favorite fighting game is a tie between Marvel Vs Capcom 2, and Skullgirls. Mvc2 is just a magical game once you start to appreciate it. And Skullgirls has most of what I like from Mvc2, but has more attention spent on being balanced and fair.

Also I had a similar convo to this a week or so ago with a friend who also wanted to get into 2d fighters. So I gave him a list of pointers for 2d fighters in general that helped me and really upped my game once I fully understood them. I’ll just copy and paste dat.

I’m sure some more skilled and knowledgeable people can add to this or correct me where needed :slight_smile:

Aya, I know you came looking for advice on what to play, but I’ll be blunt: anyone who’s going to recommend anything in this thread or otherwise will really only be able to recommend based on what they think is good or fun, and the things that someone else might like might not be right for you. Nobody’s you; we can’t get into your head and figure out what makes you tick. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to just pick a game that REALLY calls out to you. It doesn’t really matter what it is about the game that grabs you, so long as it motivates you to want to play it. It can be characters, it can be the design of stages, it can be music, it can honestly be anything.

Normally, a person in a situation like you would either have to do a lot of reading and figure out what they’d like to play or they’d actually have to go out and buy games to try them out. You on the other hand own or have played a pretty solid library of fighting games, some of which are older, but a lot of which are relevant in today’s tournaments. If your boyfriend still owns the stuff that you’ve played with him, it only makes things easier for you to pick a game you like. All you’d have to really do is dabble with each game more until you figure out which ones you love best or which “feel” right when you play. No matter what fighting game you pick, if you want to get better, you’ll still need to put in some work, so why not get better at a game you really like, right?

That said, although it would be nice to play literally any game you wanted, sometimes that’s hard to do. There’s nothing more discouraging than wanting to play a game so badly, but having nobody around you that’s willing to play. Luckily, we live in the age of online play, so even if you don’t have anyone around you, you can still jump on Xbox LIVE or PlayStation Network and fight against somebody. But it’s definitely encouraging to have people around you that you can meet and play with on a regular basis. So take a look at your local community. Take a look at a place nearby you that has a weekly, monthly, or whatever get-together where people will play fighting games, and see what kinds of games they play. You’d be surprised at how motivated you can get to play a game when there’s people playing it, even if it’s a game that you didn’t think you’d like before. To give an example from my own life, I LOATHED Tekken ever since I played Tekken 4 on the PlayStation 2. I avoided every game since then like the plague until my local scene (read: my group of friends) started getting really into Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Even though I hated Tekken, it still got me playing the game because I had friends to play with and now Tekken Tag 2 is one of my favorite fighting games.

So in short, see what kinds of games the people around you play, because having a community more than anything will help you get better and might help you find games that you never thought you’d like. But more important than that, find a game (or games!) that you really want to play, WHATEVER the reason may be.

And, just so that I don’t just ignore your question completely, here’s a quick list of some of the most popular 2D fighters that there are easily obtainable on a modern console (PS3 or Xbox 360)/have strong communities today. For the sake of keeping it simple, if the series is ongoing, I’m only going to list the most recent entry or the tournament standard and I will be keeping out games that haven’t officially released yet (so no Injustice):

Big at tournaments:

• Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ver. 2012
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Street Fighter x Tekken ver.2013
  • Persona 4 Arena
  • The King of Fighters XIII
  • Mortal Kombat 9

Not always featured at tournaments, but has enough of a scene that you can still probably find people to play either online or otherwise:

• BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
  • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
  • Darkstalkers Resurrection (specifically, Darkstalkers 3 in that game bundle)
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  • Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition

I definitely understand what you’re saying and many people have told me this actually! So, it must be true! It’s hard for me to like a game just for one specific reason. I’m stubborn I guess and want to be completely into it for every reason. I’m not really sure how to explain that, but I see what you’re saying by searching for games that I like, if I have never played it or heard of it maybe by the way it looks that sparks my interest. I also think, if I pick a game for one specific reason, eventually everything else will grow on me and I hope that happens.

Yeah, for sure! I have done a lot of reading and I have been trying to figure what I like out. I’m pretty open minded I guess ever since I got over my hate for Tekken, which took about… 6 or 7 years. And, yeah, he does still own all those fighting games and we do play them often! I just think Street Fighter has come to me easier, than games such as, Persona, BlazBlue, and any game with that type of art style! I’m not sure what it is about those games that just is so hard for me!

You’re situation was like mine! My boyfriend kept pushing me to try Tag Tournament 2, and it took a long time for me to say OK! Now, it is definitely a favorite of mine as well. The only downfall is, it truly is discouraging as you have said when you can’t play with others and gain experience. My boyfriend plays with me almost everyday, but I am curious how others play. I played Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ver. 2012 and wow. I’m not good at the game, but it was a rush to play with other people and I was VERY happy. I did lose, but it was fun to be able to meet other players. Students at my school just mash and spam. It was nice to meet people who REALLY try.

That is what my boyfriend tells me. He says it’s all about community and what games are really popular at tournaments. Because, if you’re playing a game that no one plays anymore, how can you improve? The only way to improve, is to play with others.

What’s your opinion on King of Fighters XIII?

I think I have Mortal Kombat 9? Wasn’t that the most recent of the series? If so, I have that one.

Right now, my boyfriend and I are trying to decide what game we want to game share so we can play together. Like, I’m thinking it is between Darkstalkers and Guilty Gear.

Oh! By the way, I am a PSN user.

Yeah you sound like you’re being a bit stubborn about why you like a game.

Personally for me, if I can find a single character that I like in a game ill probably keep playing it just to have more of that character. To be honest I was never really into fighting games for a long time. Then I went to a friends house and saw Juri in SSF4. She was the only reason I needed to buy the game and then my love for street fighter grew over time. I don’t even know if I’d like marvel all that much without Felicia in it.

But just find a single reason to like a game and try to keep playing it. As long as you don’t completely hate the rest of it you will start to like it more and more.

Also the thing about Persona and Blazblue isn’t really the art style. They are made by the same dev so they play similarly, and if you don’t like one you probably will have the same experience with the other. For instance I liked a lot if things about both of those games. I just didn’t like the way any of the characters played :confused:

I can’t really comment on KoF XIII since I haven’t played the game myself. Based on what I’ve watched, it looks like an incredible load of fun though, and there’s PLENTY of things to learn as you get better and better. The only real downside to this game is that while it does have online play, most people report that the netcode is pretty bad, so playing online is suboptimal. It’s a similar situation to UMvC3, where for the most part, the game is played offline. That said, the netplay apparently can be really good depending on where you live and whether you’ve got a good internet connection, so the only thing to really do is try it out yourself. You said you owned KoF 2006, so if you liked that game, maybe you’d like KoF XIII.

Yes, Mortal Kombat 9’s the most recent entry that was released on the Xbox 360 and PS3, so you definitely own that one. I know it’s called just “Mortal Kombat” on the boxart, but calling it MK9 makes it much easier to identify the game specifically.

Darkstalkers Resurrection and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core are both REALLY solid buys. They both have fairly strong followings in the community and both feature solid online play, so it’s really up to you to decide which one you’d want to buy. I have personal bias towards Guilty Gear since it’s my favorite fighting game series and there’s an update for the game coming soon on PSN and XBLA that will update it to Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R, which is the most recent version of Guilty Gear to date. Once that update hits, I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of new people excited about the game, so finding people online or offline probably won’t be that difficult.

KOF XIII is a great game…if you have people to play against. There’s tons of room to grow in that game. Also, 2006 (which is actually KOF: Maximum Impact 2) is very different from the main KOF series.

That said, XIII can be a little daunting at first. The key to getting into it isn’t to try to do all the complicated, tough stuff initially, but start off with the basics and work your way up to the harder stuff. Seeing the work you put into the game pay off in matches is more satisfying to me in this game than in any other. The KOF XIII wiki on this website is actually full of good information. But really, I love the game so much I pretty much completely dropped playing SF4 and MvC3 when I began playing it. I also happen to think that the visual style of the game is the most appealing to me out of all modern fighting games.

KOFXIII seems…difficult, to me. Timing is precise, and you need to learn three separate characters.

BlazBlue and Persona 4 have much faster movement than a lot of popular 2D games - Street Fighter, SFxT and MK particularly being the ones that come to mind - so they can be difficult to learn for that reason. In Street Fighter, if your opponent is across the screen, it takes them a lot longer to suddenly be up in your face than it does in any sort of “airdash fighter” - a category that includes BB, P4A, Guilty Gear, the Marvel games, and Arcana Heart, amoung others - so it can be hard for a beginner to keep track of. On the other hand, attacks in BB/P4 are often slower than in a lot of other games, so if you can get past the movement, these games can be easier to learn due to a greater ease of performing combos and blocking attacks.

Folks are right though - only you can prevent forest fires choose which game is right for you. And the best way is to play them. Failing that, watching footage of a game can be a good way to get a feel for how a game ‘moves’, which can be an important part of how it plays.

One thing about KOFs combos is that they’re not too difficult once you learn to use the game’s input buffer. While links involving normals (i.e. Takuma’s qcf/236+D into c/2.A) are as tight as those links are, links between special moves are easy because when you do a special move input and hold down the attack button, the game will repeat that input for the next several frames, which will cause the character to perform the move ASAP as long as your timing wasn’t completely messed up.