After speaking with @undamned about UD-CPS2 availability and realizing that it would be a while before he would be able to begin work on one, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Mine is HEAVILY inspired by Undamned’s work and I thank him for his efforts in making this possible!
For controls, I used 4 UD USB 8 button adapters, for more than one reason.
- I wanted to be able to use this with more than just the Fighting games the CPS2 has.
- There are games where the 4th button over the JAMMA edge is needed, so I wanted 7 of the 8 buttons on a typical stick usable for 1P and 2P, and for P3 and P4 to be able to use the top row of buttons comfortably.
So after researching what was needed, I devised a way that would allow me to swap between 2 player and 4 player play on the fly.
the issue is that some buttons share directions between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd players. Check this out:
as you can see, the kick buttons for p1/2 are directional and normal inputs for 3/4. to get past that, you would need a 6pdt switch, like this:
I decided to go with a push button for ease of use. Wiring it up did take some review of the documentation.
As for sound and Video, I originally attempted to make my own based around the Sony CXA2075 encoder, but it didn’t end up working properly and I didn’t have the patience to play with it, so I ended up adding in a JROK 3.1 RGB encoder (which uses the same Sony IC). The AV terminates in a Nintendo Multi AV out Port, so SNES cables (RGB, S-Vid and Composite) will work with it. Audio was pulled from the ports in the front
I worked with a friend of mine that works in a sheet metal shop to fabricate a face plate that would not only support the 4 port USB connector, but would also cover the edge, and give the front of the A Board a streamlined look.
Power is handled by a Multi-Voltage Adapter, which is external. It would have been easier to use a 12V adapter with a DC->DC regulator internally, but I wanted this to be powered by the same PSU as my supergun :).
This has sat on the back burner for a while after a MAJOR HW setback (broken pins, required replacement of the A Board after the attempted repair didn’t work), but I finally finished it.
My 4 player consolized CPS2 is complete.