Finally picked up a stick.. Need tips

So yesterday I decided to buy a fight stick finally, because I find myself enjoying fighting games a lot more. I primarily played SSFIV AE, UMVC3, KoF XIII, and 3S on a 360 pad, but now I find myself dropping a whole ton of combos and still trying to get used to the feel of the stick/1 frame links. Is there any tips in specific I could learn to transition to a stick? I don’t plan to go back to pad now, no matter how many times I lose, and I’ve been practicing the motions of moves (QCF, QCB, DP, RDP, so on) I’ve got a Hori VX-SA for the 360 if that makes any difference (only thing I could find in my city without ordering online, which I didn’t want to do, but will probably order online once I get the feel of the stick better.)

It is an “Arcade stick” or “Joy stick”. A “Fight Stick” is a joystick in the madcatz line of sticks. All you can do is practice everyone will tell you the same thing.

Oh. I’ll definitely keep the proper terminology in mind. Is there any specific things to practice for each game? I hear stuff about plinking and double tapping on SF4, but I’ve got no idea how they work in specific, just how they’re done. I’ve been doing trials for each of the games and can get some of them down for a certain character.

Not really. Just general practice. Plinking is a more advanced way of hitting buttons, which at your level is some what complex. Double tapping it just that, say you’re playing Ryu and you want to throw a fire ball, sometimes you might not always push the button all the way down, so to be safe you “Double tap” it. (QCF JAB JAB). is there a specific character you play with in AE?

Just Akuma.

I’ll tell you the same thing I tell everybody else. It’s going to take a while to get used to and you are going to have to dedicate a lot of time into stick to reach the same level you were at on pad. Dropping combos and links you could easily do before is just something you are going to have to deal with until you get better because it’s normal. It’s kind of like trying to adjust to a new button layout, but more difficult. If you’re have trouble with certain motions like QCF or DP then go into training mode and practice the motions until your hands are tired.

Another thing, sticks are really sensitive so you don’t need to exaggerate your motions. If you are having issues with QCF it might be because of the square gate and you are getting caught on the corners. It will take some time to get used to.

Try to practice a game you haven’t played much. I was having trouble when I started while I played 3S. When I picked up Marvel it helped me get used to the controls easier because the game was new to me.

[media=youtube]ndoC_6UzBZU[/media]

I’ve been using the stick for a lot of things, not just fighting games either. I’ll occasionally play a shmup on Xbox Arcade or like Contra or something that is supported by it also. It definitely helps control, I’ve got a grip down for the stick. I guess I’ll just keep on practising. Which I don’t mind, I’m having a blast with the stick.

Practice, practice and more practice. Just keep playing.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

please read the stickies before posting questions