First Tournament

This weekend I will be going to my first tourney. I’ve done fairly well for myself online (although that isn’t saying much), I’ve practiced my combos, and read as much as I could online. Except I have no idea what kind of head space I should be in. I don’t know what to expect, or if I should expect anything, or what reasonable goals to set for myself are.

Any thoughts or experiences on first time tournaments? Kind of bewildered.

Cheers.

I’ll be going to my first tourney this weekend also. I set up a small goal to win just one round. I expect to get my ass kicked and get nervous even before playing which will make me drop simple combos. Nonetheless, I’ll give it my all and hopefully I’ll do better than what I think I would.

Playing online you’ll see some random shit happen or what I like to call “online tactics.” Some people at tournaments believe it or not still use some online tactics. There’s a lot of mind games going on when you’re playing in a tournament. Usually tournament players are fairly knowledgeable about the game itself. Because of this, they may look out for certain combos and punish opportunities. They might know this and just do some scrubby punishable shit that might cause you to get mind fucked but you’ll just have to get used to it and start by playing by instinct and not play everything by the book.

My first tournament game I forgot how to play. I mean completely. I just went blank. It wasn’t until afterwards I remembered I hadn’t even used cr.mp during the fight. And I was using Rose… :wink:

A reasonable goal to set yourself when competing in your first tournament? Talk to as many people as you can about your game. Play as many casuals as you can with as many people as possible. Watch and learn. And don’t worry if you go 2-0. That’s fine. And if you don’t, even better!

Main thing - have fun.

Do as well as you can. Don’t worry about actual results because if this is your first tournament, chances are you’re going to not do well. These games have been out for a long time and people understand them well. If you think you’ll get nervous, bring some music to listen to while you play. It’ll help you focus more on the game and less on what people think of your play style. Oh that reminds me, don’t worry about what other people think of what you’re doing. Whatever you do, it’s only scrubby if and when you lose. Not before.

Greymalkin had great advice though. Definitely play a lot of casuals and ask people for advice. More importantly, get involved in that offline community!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
I went and got completely blown up, went 0-2 and only took 2 rounds in total… but it was such an awesome experience. The people there were more than willing to help me level up and even invited me out for some casuals during the week. I feel that just by going for 6 hours I got more out of it than a month at home would have provided!

Offline > Online for fighting games. Playing locally you yourself now, you can see how much of a difference there is. Level up with locals as much as you can. That’s how you’ll get better and learn more things.

Threads like this make me wish I had an offline scene of some kind. Best of luck in your training!