Focus Attack issues

sakura

Im a relatively noob sakura player, and as such my game so far hasnt got a lot further than mashing out ex-tatsus with an air reset or two, and lately my main opponent has been getting better with Abel. We have a good laugh beating each other up, and ive got the upper hand atm, and naturally i’d like it to stay that way.
Inevitably as the round progresses, i get knocked down. I am usually leading on health by this point, but it means Abels ultra is up, the (now irritatingly well timed) focus move hits me the second i stand and i then get ultrad for a million billion damage :bluu:
Ordinarily i’d light shouken, but that doesnt cut it. Were I Ryu or Ken or some such, i’d just shoryuken it and get on with things, but my efforts so far with sakura have got me nowhere.
EX shouken seems to have decent invul frames, but the delay from starting it to actually hitting someone causes problems of its own. Naturally my friend never does this if i have ultra bar, as that counters nicely enough, but when im winning its rather frustrating to see 2/3rds of my current bar go byebye thanks to a kidney punch :frowning:
Any advice that isnt ‘stop failing’ would be appreciated :razz:

wake up back dash = no FA crumple = no ultra.

yep or ex shou if hes always going through with it

I would stress that his timing is damn near perfect on the wakeup. Will the backdash still save me? Again, maybe i am failing at executing the ex shouken, but it doesnt seem to interrupt in time for me to not get ultrad and pwned. Thanks for the suggestions, ill give them a go.

ex shou, has to much recovery i think, he would still get u while u escape.

Backdash is invicible in the first 8 frames , so if he attacks meaty, ur safe.

if you’re furiously mashing the punch buttons and waggling the stick around like crazy, you might be doing a crouch or stand fierce before the ex-shouoken… I get that sometimes when i get panicky too… but if hes ALWAYS going to hold the Focus, then wake up ex shouken will always beat it because of its invincible startup… as long as you do it right.

backdashing works great against abel anyway because it gets you out his command grabs

Fair enough. I accept i probably dont hit the ex shou every time, that said, its tricky when the focus hits exactly on wakeup. Ill try the backdash, would that invincible 8 frames cover the impact of the focus attack, or would it get me killed?

@ freetgy.
you not using ex shou as an escape your using it to hit him. punishing his moves

“wake up back dash = no FA crumple = no ultra.”

the thing about abels focus is that he cam time it so if you backdash, he can ultra you while you’re spinning away or just falling sky you and just start over. backdash against a smart abel si a very stupid idea when it comes to him doing focus crumples…

“wake up back dash = no FA crumple = no ultra.”

the thing about abels focus is that he can time it so that if you backdash, he can ultra you while you’re spinning away or just falling sky you and start over. backdash against a smart abel is a very stupid idea when it comes to him doing focus crumples…

sniff… sniff, sniff… i smell a troll

plz to be not trollin up my help thread :smiley:
In all seriousness, i tried backdashing, and i probably suck at it, cause i was still getting hit. Most characters seem to at least have an EX escape for such eventualities, and whilst my opponent Abel is by no means great, hes smart enough to see a weakness and capitalise. At this point im down to punishing him when he messes up the timing and trying not to give him knockdowns when hes ultra capable. This is obviously not easy :slight_smile:

Well if he’s doing FA2 you can just block it, it’s kinda hard to time a FA3 to coincide perfectly with someone getting up and reversals will still smash them. According to the wiki Abel’s Focus is only active for 2 frames, back dash is invulnerable for longer than that and ontop of which Abel’s Focus appears to have some pretty crap range.

Righto, its me being crap then :slight_smile:
Just so i know. Its not like im struggling with the matchup partilcularly, as good as abel is, just feels daft to be repeatedly tagged by the same move. Ill work on the backdash.

I’ll admit that Focus Attacks spook the crap out of me, something I need to work on. I just don’t really know if they’re the sort to try hitting you with FA3 or use FA2 to hopefully catch you unawares otherwise it’s just some good pressure on block. I play some random crap it’s hard to tell the difference :rofl: